Classic Drag Racing Video of the day... (1 Viewer)

What fun to watch! Gosh I love the old Diamond P stuff...

Hard to believe that there are TD cars out there today, running normally aspirated big blocks and racing gasoline, that are pretty darn close to those TF times/speeds. Wow...

Thanks for sharing!

Great videos!

Speaking of Dave Mac..... Anytime I'm reading one of his posts here on the 'Mater, it's his voice in my head doing the reading. It's weird! It's like he's reading it to me. I guess when you hear someone talk enough times it becomes easy to "hear" their voice when reading something they wrote. Does this happen to anyone else or am I the only oddball? :confused:

I agree with Paul, Dave IS the best on the mike! Period.

Go to the funny car segment, at 1:23 into it. Drivers introducing themselves.

Is it my imagination or does Prudhomme mispronounce his own last name?! He throws an N in where the M's should be!

If I heard that right, then I guess I owe Paul Page a huge apology!

Interesting they said Bonin had never won a National Event.....he won that race for his first.

I like those driver self-introductions, like they do on Sunday Night Football. ESPN2 should get back to doing that. And yes, they could mention thier sponsor instead of saying where they're from.

Hair...and dark in color...AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! That was my first reaction when I saw the vids. That and working with Frank Furino. He preceded Steven Evans on the shows....from about 1975 when Diamond P started as the production company...thru the '77 or '78 season...then Steve. Frank worked full time for Diamond P and was the producer of a number of radio shows for D.P. & Harvey Palash, owner.

It is amazing to look back at that era and realize how simple the shows were at that time. That was primarily due to a function of money....how much was available for production costs. There were some electronic bells and whistles that were out of reach financially at that time....thus the bare bones approach.

The post production was done at a television station in Syracuse NY and we could only work after they signed off the air. That means that on the Thursday after the race...I would receive a wakeup call at about 1:30-2:00 am...go into the studio from the nearby motel...and we would have till 6 am to do the voice over. The editing had bee completed Monday through Wednesday nights. Every show through that era was produced the same way...with John Mullin serving as producer. Like to think we did some pretty good coverage of the race scene...given the restrictions we had.

BTW...thanks to all for the kind words. As I have said before, I feel like the luckiest guy in the world....one that is able to provide for his family and for this time in my life (if the govt. and others would quit screwing around with my savings it would be nice!!!)...doing something for a living that I had done for fun. Kinda describes the perfect job.

Take care and enjoy...it's great to have a chance to relive all of that again.

MaC

That was awesome! I loved how when the drivers introduced themselves and then the narrator gave some additional info about each driver, Richard Tharp was noted for being a flamboyant dresser.

One other thing, I forgot about how they used to do the "dry hop". What a great memory. How long has it been since they've done that regularly? Twenty years?

Reading Mr. Mac's post, I felt as if he was narrarating over my shoulder. Anytime I read something he posts, I can hear him speaking it.

This is one kind of reminder where the term "one lane track" came from!
Thankfully, we've come a very long way since then.

Hair...and dark in color...AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! That was my first reaction when I saw the vids. That and working with Frank Furino. He preceded Steven Evans on the shows....from about 1975 when Diamond P started as the production company...thru the '77 or '78 season...then Steve. Frank worked full time for Diamond P and was the producer of a number of radio shows for D.P. & Harvey Palash, owner.

It is amazing to look back at that era and realize how simple the shows were at that time. That was primarily due to a function of money....how much was available for production costs. There were some electronic bells and whistles that were out of reach financially at that time....thus the bare bones approach.

The post production was done at a television station in Syracuse NY and we could only work after they signed off the air. That means that on the Thursday after the race...I would receive a wakeup call at about 1:30-2:00 am...go into the studio from the nearby motel...and we would have till 6 am to do the voice over. The editing had bee completed Monday through Wednesday nights. Every show through that era was produced the same way...with John Mullin serving as producer. Like to think we did some pretty good coverage of the race scene...given the restrictions we had.

BTW...thanks to all for the kind words. As I have said before, I feel like the luckiest guy in the world....one that is able to provide for his family and for this time in my life (if the govt. and others would quit screwing around with my savings it would be nice!!!)...doing something for a living that I had done for fun. Kinda describes the perfect job.

Take care and enjoy...it's great to have a chance to relive all of that again.

MaC

YOUR WELCOME!!! And thank you Big Mac!

Everyone who thinks slowing down the fuel cars a bit will make them less exciting needs to watch these vids.

Everyone who thinks slowing down the fuel cars a bit will make them less exciting needs to watch these vids.

i'll second that.
thanks dave for your comments about producing the shows.
i could watch that era racing all day long.
we've watched all those legendary drivers slowly either depart from sport
or remain active as owners or in other capacities.........
except the greek :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back