AWESOME Video of the Day..at COMPPLUS.COM (1 Viewer)

The photo where the truck is on top of the car, is a car I was told, that eventually became the C/ED that Cross and Corzine ran and won a Comp W/C with. I ended up buying that car and ran it for several years and sold it to Ricky Hughes who ended up selling it to Eddy League. It was built by a chassis builder named Lester Guillory out of Louisiana but I don't know who owned it at the time of this incident. Bubba Corzine used to post here, so Bubba, if your looking, let me know if I am correct or not.

Last edited:
Heck Grandpa was in the middle of it with us. Justin, your Grandpa is one of the finest gentlemen I ever met, until you pulled into the other lane against him, and then it serious chit until you unstrapped at the other end. Then he gave you a warm smile, a hand shake and you knew you were always friends. That was Papa League ;) Tell him I miss those days around the League family. Oh wait wasn't it called League Family Racing. :p

Thanks Glenn, I will tell him. Matter of fact, if you wish, you can tell him. Next Sunday the 17th, we are all going to the Monument Inn restaurant to celebrate his 70th Birthday. Your more than welcome to come. I'm sure he'd love to see you again.

Ah, the Monument Inn and the ferry......brings back some great memories! I love that place!

Gary, I am sure kelly was talking about Porter

You are probably correct about Porter, but the videos were of Dickinson which was my misunderstanding.

The digger with the tow truck over it I believe was Tommy Dumbell, I just can't quite confirm that.

As far as Porter, the stories of that track could be endless.

Hey Gary, thanks for bringing back the memories of the old Houston track.

You are correct, the stories of Porter are endless. It is sad as to how it all ended. Bill Sanford will always be etched in my mind and the tragedy that brought all of it to an end will forever be remembered by all that knew the family.

Porter and the old Houston track are just a few of the tracks of many across America that bring back memories for many on the Mater. That is what is so cool about drag racing. That's why we have Nostaglia (sp) drag racing. So all of us old farts can look at the cars that we remembered back in the day.

I can almost visualize evey time I have been strapped in a race car. I am more thankful that I was alway able to undo the harness myself. I have lost a few friends along the way but I have made a lot of friends along the way.

One thing in this world that will never change. We all will get older and it will be harder to remember the memories of yesterday. I plan on hanging on to all that I can until I can't hold on any longer.

Glenn Hearn out.

The old Houston dragway was just north of FM 646 about 1/4 mile on the east side of I-45. That is the freeway that runs from Houston to Galveston.
The old Porter drag strip was a family owned strip in the woods on the old Hiway 59 north. You just left Houston and then when the 59 main lanes ended it was a few miles up on the right.
Yeah, call me a nut but I sorta "collect" old racetracks on Google Earth and I think that the old Houston Dragway was located at the center of Google Maps

Does anyone have more details of the exact location of the Porter Dragstrip? The explanation above has it in an area without too much new developments and could be there are still some remnants to be seen from satelite.

(One of my favorite tracks in that regards is Oswego up in Illinois, check out 41°41'23.38"N 88°23'9.93"W - Google Maps )

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

The old Porter track which was called Eastex Dragstrip ,if you look at Google maps was between Kingwood Dr. and N Park Dr. and the entrance was off Loop 494 . There is apartments there now and if I would have to say that
street The Equinox is where the track would have been.:(

Am also sorry for hijacking the thread. Don't want to pi$$ anyone off but it's in good faith and not to troll.

Glenn S., many thanks for getting back,
"Eastex" made for a lot more hits on Google like Texas Scooter Times : )

Did the Eastex Dragstrip run east-west, i.e. could the southernmost part of the "quarry looking" area above the Equinox streets contain remnants of the Eastex Dragstrip?

Check the link below, does it perchance point to the end of what is left of the strip that turns left to the return road?
30° 3'41.52"N 95°14'21.15"W - Google Maps

Joe, Green Valley Drag Strip: Good one. Sorta melancholical in that your link shows the whole strip back in 1995 and the current Google Maps show only some 300 feet of a remant of the Green Valley Drag Strip at Google Maps

Glenn H, thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated.

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back