Super gas video - before electronics (1 Viewer)

Those were 2 excellent videos that I HAD to watch twice in order to get my fill of them......why can't we return to racing like that? Oh, that's right, because it's MONEY DRIVEN..........my mistake!

That is pretty cool. My dad built the Labbous [I always heard it pronounced in a way that rhymes with caboose] Omni around 79 or 80. Herb ran Super Gas for a few years with a steel body '68 Cuda with an 833 four speed.

Definitely a different world from the way the class races today. Just think....running a 9.90 at 130mph.....

That guy interviewing Wally in the second video... wasn't he the crooked sheriff in Steven Segal's Fire Down Below. Who knew he was a drag racing fan?

I remember those days. I actually enjoyed super gas alot. Now I go to the restroom or something when they run. Sorry folks but the super classes are the most boring next to pro stock bike.

as a kid this used to be one of my favorite classes to watch. Watching Steve and Terry Eckard in those Anglias. Godzilla, King Kong, Mazza and the list goes on. Sadly can't stand to watch it now

Those guy's must have had some pretty sturdy throttle linkages and some great brake pads. 9.59 on a semifinal single.... ;)

I still think you could do that today, take a 9.50 car and run 9.90's without any throttle stop and actually be competitive. Anything much quicker than that, may be a little more difficult because the amount of momentum it would have. A few years ago I borrowed a car and it ended up having a bad fuel pump. The car normally ran 5.70's but kept running out of steam because of the pump and would only run a high 5.90. So I just dialed a 6.20 and peddled the last couple hundred feet. It was a big money bracket race, but we still ended up going 8 rounds that night. I actually thought it was some of the most fun I had racing ever. Even today, I will usually dial my car 3 to 5 hundredths slow, and peddle it.

That is pretty cool. My dad built the Labbous [I always heard it pronounced in a way that rhymes with caboose] Omni around 79 or 80. Herb ran Super Gas for a few years with a steel body '68 Cuda with an 833 four speed.

Definitely a different world from the way the class races today. Just think....running a 9.90 at 130mph.....

I "grew up" with Johnny Labbous at our local drag strip. I remember when he got his first Omni 024 from your Dad. He was a terror in bracket and heads-up racing in the South. I'll post some photos this evening, I'm at work now.

Wayne Holland.

Here's a couple of pics of the Johnny Labbous Omni 024, built by Herb McCandless. In the first photo taken at the Gators, he's running against Joe Covert. The second photo is from Warner Robbins, Georgia.

Wayne.

LABBOUSOMNI.jpg

LABBOUSOMNI2.jpg

We raced super gas in those days as well, had a little big block vega. It was a blast, used a bolt on the back side of the carb and balast to set the ET. I remember when we moved to Super comp with our first dragster and the electronics started to come in. Drug our feet for years and finally picked up a electric shifter (grumble grumble) then our first throttle stop (air) with no timer, just switched off the shifter (grumble grumble), then the timer for the stop (grumble grumble) I still enjoy it but it will never be the same. Thank god for T/D :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back