Wild Horse Pass to be Redeveloped. Looks like the end is here. (2 Viewers)

Ted, this is true. I just hope we don't lose more races. Thinking of Pomona, Sonoma, Seattle off the top of my head.

Right now drag racing seems so segmented to me between street drag racing and other associations like the Southern Gasser's and the IHRA and the NHRA it seems like each group is just doing their own thing.
The day's of the drag racing revolving around the NHRA are over for now at least.

I read about the groups starting up a new series for Pro Stock and I think Pro Mod where the entering fee is something like $900.00 dollars and the winner takes home either $25,000 or $50,000 dollars per event.

The Street Nationals event in Orlando was a good example of what happening.
Drag racing appears to be going in many new directions and only time will tell what happens next.

It should be an interesting year!
Just my opinion.

Jim Hill
The King of Grudge in Orlando, a bike event, $5000 entry, paid $90,000 to win.

When I see how much prize money is being offered at many of these events by charging much higher entry fees they are paying more money than the NHRA for a national win.

In one way this hurts the NHRA but in another way it is taking drag racing in a whole new direction.
Maybe this is happening because it is getting harder each year to find sponsors and who knows maybe entry fees at other events may just decide to try this method to fund the prize money.

Jim Hill

Div 7 race is scheduled May 14-16 at Wild Horse. thinking if they cancelled the nat'l even, they may cancel this one also. Well, maybe Tucson can host 2 events....

Div 7 race is scheduled May 14-16 at Wild Horse. thinking if they cancelled the nat'l even, they may cancel this one also. Well, maybe Tucson can host 2 events....

The race was moved back in Dec 2020
With little or no fans there, the track will still make some money hosting a Div race
But with no fans means no Alky cars. The track pays the Alky purse.

Playing devil's advocate here: How many threads have talked about the need to reduce the number of national events every year? Maybe this is NHRA realizing the need to pare back the number of events and letting the less lucrative events go by the wayside. Fewer events mean there is the opportunity to scale back their work force and save a little money along the way.
I'm just trying to not be all doom and gloom about the future of pro drag racing.
A little bit of pain now might work out for the best in the long run.
Reducing the number of national events and losing racetracks forever are two separate issues. Losing Wild Horse Pass for good would be a horrible blow. I really hope NHRA is right in stating it will be back for sure in 2022.

Right now drag racing seems so segmented to me between street drag racing and other associations like the Southern Gasser's and the IHRA and the NHRA it seems like each group is just doing their own thing.
The day's of the drag racing revolving around the NHRA are over for now at least.

For years, I have been reading people complain about NHRA and my response has been "If you don't like NHRA, start your own." It seems that more groups of racers are doing just that.

The race was moved back in Dec 2020
With little or no fans there, the track will still make some money hosting a Div race
But with no fans means no Alky cars. The track pays the Alky purse.

I hope they do have the alky cars. Race is listed as a Regional, so that means alky. Wait & see I guess. I hope this race comes to pass. Make up for loosing the nat'l event (to me, anyway).

'Thunder and Lightening Hydroplanes' just announced an APBA-sanctioned boat race on Firebird Lake, September 24th-26th. Hydroplanes, not Dragboats. For what it's worth.

'Thunder and Lightening Hydroplanes' just announced an APBA-sanctioned boat race on Firebird Lake, September 24th-26th. Hydroplanes, not Dragboats. For what it's worth.

Is that lake big enough for hydroplanes? Would be like short track racing for boats.

OK, now I really interested in what happens. That would be super cool.

Is that lake big enough for hydroplanes? Would be like short track racing for boats.
Not the Unlimiteds, Grand Prix hydros, they are a little smaller and use 468 ci big block chevys. Their are four classes scheduled for the weekend but the Grand Prix boats are the largest.

If I remember correctly the unlimiteds ran at Firebird a few years ago, I think they kind of ran it like a chicago style match race, 2 boats at a time, 2 boats with most points ran for the final.

Not the Unlimiteds, Grand Prix hydros, they are a little smaller and use 468 ci big block chevys. Their are four classes scheduled for the weekend but the Grand Prix boats are the largest.

If I remember correctly the unlimiteds ran at Firebird a few years ago, I think they kind of ran it like a chicago style match race, 2 boats at a time, 2 boats with most points ran for the final.
I was there in 1994. Have pictures of Miss Budweiser and some others. Will try and find them.

A lot of people think Maple Grove wants out because of the neighbors being so close to the track. If you have ever been there, The neighbors rent out their yards for parking and camping for the weekend. A win, win. Not just Maple Grove making money but, Then neighbors too.
The neighbours are great,i park there all the time at keystones
Gotta love great race neighbors! My local track has a few houses about 800-1500 feet away from the starting line, and sometimes the track will still be running cars at 1:30 in the morning! From what I hear there aren’t any issues either!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back