Wild Horse Pass to be Redeveloped. Looks like the end is here. (1 Viewer)

Hate losing another track in another market. Not a good sign at all. I know there was some rumblings several years ago about the possibility of building another track further south of Phoenix. Probably just a pipe dream.

We've heard this talk for years and you don't just come up with development plans like this overnight, my guess is the pandemic made it easy to slow down events at the track and finally move forward. The part that gets me is they invested in the track, they put in new LED lighting and had the track ground flat before last year's nationals.

I kinda thought something was up when they posted this in the press release announcing the cancellation of the race.

The Gila River community, track and NHRA officials mutually agreed not to host the Phoenix event in 2021, primarily based on COVID-19-related issues.

“We have enjoyed being host to the NHRA Arizona Nationals for the past 36 years,” said Mark Grado, General Manager of Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park. “However, due to many circumstances beyond our control, including current COVID-19 restrictions, unfortunately the event is not feasible for the 2021 season.”

Beyond our control, read into that, they knew the end is near.

When I moved to Arizona in 1981, Beeline had closed & the only track hosting nat'l events was Tucson & AHRA. Then Firebird was built, shifted back to Phoenix. And now we have come full circle, with Tucson being the Last Track Standing. sigh.... I wish Wild Horse would hold one last race. Haven't been there since the national event in 2020. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised but still bums me out.

My grandson Jordan Hart is the 2020/last Sportsman Champion here. He has been trying to get information on his trophy, check and swag for winning since October. The track manager quit/fired back then and everyone just keeps passing the buck. I hope they at least give the racers that supported them to the end their recognition.

When I moved to Arizona in 1981, Beeline had closed & the only track hosting nat'l events was Tucson & AHRA. Then Firebird was built, shifted back to Phoenix. And now we have come full circle, with Tucson being the Last Track Standing. sigh.... I wish Wild Horse would hold one last race. Haven't been there since the national event in 2020. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised but still bums me out.

Cliff...Not all is lost for you in Arizona. April 9th-10th Tucson UNFC race. You will really dig this show!
So pack up the wife and a picnic basket and head South that is a super easy drive for you.
I want a full report on the race, before they head North to me. You do like to post, don't you? LOL
1611326991684.png

Thanks Jim. I plan to go to the Div 7 race, at least on Sat, next month. It's about a 2 hour drive from my house to the Tucson track. I just want to make sure the track can let spectators in. I talked to the track & they said Pima County is the one who would decide how many spectators to let in. I went to Div 7 race last year & really enjoyed it. Tucson is a great track. I remember the old one, back in 1980's and remember when this one was built. Tucson usta do Pro testing & the racers really liked the track.

We've heard this talk for years and you don't just come up with development plans like this overnight, my guess is the pandemic made it easy to slow down events at the track and finally move forward. The part that gets me is they invested in the track, they put in new LED lighting and had the track ground flat before last year's nationals.

I voiced my concerns when Covid 19 started. Tracks would no longer have the income and may be the straw that broke the camel's back. Plus, money talks and the possibility of re-purposing track property to make huge profits is hard to turn down. This makes me appreciate the Fiorito family in Seattle even more. Back 7 years ago, they put Pacific Raceways up for sale. But because the offers they got were for purposes other than a racetrack, they removed it from the market. Immediately, new houses were built literally feet away from the fence around the pits, so you know what would have happened. You just don't see that dedication to racing very often. For me, even though Seattle is 12 hour drive south, losing it would make attending a Nationals much more difficult.

Thanks Jim. I plan to go to the Div 7 race, at least on Sat, next month. It's about a 2 hour drive from my house to the Tucson track. I just want to make sure the track can let spectators in. I talked to the track & they said Pima County is the one who would decide how many spectators to let in. I went to Div 7 race last year & really enjoyed it. Tucson is a great track. I remember the old one, back in 1980's and remember when this one was built. Tucson usta do Pro testing & the racers really liked the track.

I voiced my concerns when Covid 19 started. Tracks would no longer have the income and may be the straw that broke the camel's back. Plus, money talks and the possibility of re-purposing track property to make huge profits is hard to turn down. This makes me appreciate the Fiorito family in Seattle even more. Back 7 years ago, they put Pacific Raceways up for sale. But because the offers they got were for purposes other than a racetrack, they removed it from the market. Immediately, new houses were built literally feet away from the fence around the pits, so you know what would have happened. You just don't see that dedication to racing very often. For me, even though Seattle is 12 hour drive south, losing it would make attending a Nationals much more difficult.

2019 Goodguys UNFC race and the houses
1611328525346.png

I wonder if the realtor(s) who sold those houses disclosed to the buyers that the Seattle track was not immediately going away.
How many lawsuits have been filed or are being prepared, in order to get the track shut down?

Looks like pretty new houses,neibors will complain,why these dumbasses build houses right by a racetrack
These houses are around 5 years old and are not cheap. Saw a listing for a house that is right behind
the blue house in the the picture. $1.8 million it had a go-kart track among other things.
A king County judge put a end to the lawsuits 10 plus years ago. There is a strict curfew and there is
a county mandated quiet days (6) during the race season. The house in the far left of the picture was
built maybe 3 years before the others

Last edited:
After Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Wild Horse Pass is the track I have spent the most time at. National Events. Divisional Events. Tech official for so many IFO, VegasDrift and SouthWest Drift events. Had some great times there, but my mind always go back to that February day in 1999, when Tony Schumacher was the first to 330 MPH. I am not a big autograph guy at all, but I had Tony sign my ticket stub that day.

I never made it down there for the drag boats, and I will now forever kick myself.

Saw this on their facebook page.

From all of us at the Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park, we are fully aware of the conceptual map that was released as part of a commercial redevelopment plan here at Wild Horse Pass. That being said, this design is exactly what it is, conceptual, and does not change the fact that we are continuing to push through the challenges of COVID-19 to facilitate hosting as many motorsports events as possible in 2021, as well as a push to come back even stronger in 2022. We have been a staple in the Arizona Motorsports community for nearly 40 years and don't plan on changing that heritage anytime soon!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back