Wally World Sticks it to the Racers.....Again!!! (1 Viewer)

Randy, I'm starting to understand your thinking. What they saw at the March meet was the entertainment value in the Nostalgia cars. So NHRA see's it like this, Sportsman categories have no market value, put more cost against them and they will run away and leave room for more market value cars which will fill the stands and put more money in our pockets. It sounds good for the bottom line short term, but sportsman carry the sponsors and that could harm NHRA.

We'll just order out. A couple dozen 4X4's from In-N-OUT should do the trick. :)

Can I play with this team????

I don't have to pay the upgraded license fee this year.... already did that in February...!

OH, and DAVE LABS.... good thread, but I do think the Title "Wally World" is not completly accurate. THE HOME OFFICE ceased to have anything to do with WALLY about a year ago... just my humble opinion...

Randy, I'm starting to understand your thinking. What they saw at the March meet was the entertainment value in the Nostalgia cars. So NHRA see's it like this, Sportsman categories have no market value, put more cost against them and they will run away and leave room for more market value cars which will fill the stands and put more money in our pockets. It sounds good for the bottom line short term, but sportsman carry the sponsors and that could harm NHRA.
I tend to agree with this statement Jesse ... The NFC's might bring a spectator boom to National Events for a very short term. Hell, my Dad clammers on about how great it would be to see "real" FC's again. The one's that resemble production cars of thier period. But I gotta believe that only a very, very, small group of fans under the age of 40 really gives a Rat's butt about NFC's. No offense to anyone in the Baby Boomer and up category, but once that genre stops attending Drag Races there will be no real interest in Nostalgia. The racing of the 1990's and 2000's will be what the younger crowd pays to see. I think that switch would ultimately hurt NHRA. I guess you all have to take the NHRA's word that Sportsman racing is here to stay and that the only people that can hurt sportsman racing are the sportsman racers.

So NHRA see's it like this, Sportsman categories have no market value, put more cost against them and they will run away and leave room for more market value cars which will fill the stands and put more money in our pockets. It sounds good for the bottom line short term, but sportsman carry the sponsors and that could harm NHRA.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but it certainly is shortsighted if it is. Sportsman racing is vital to drag racing:

• It provides the "farm team" for the pros. Every star of today was a sportsman racer yesterday.
  • It certainly provides revenue for the NHRA, and all the local tracks around the country. Not one of the 20+ venues that host national events could survive if sportsman racing didn't exist.
  • It gives the "gee, I could do that" effect that is vital to any sport. Basketball has it because all you need is a hoop and a ball. Baseball is just a bat, a ball, some gloves and some friends. NASCAR cars look kinda like what I drove to the race in. A T/F or F/C car looks as exotic as a Formula I car, but a Comp car? Now that's something I recognize.
  • It provides a fertile market for all the parts makers that couldn't survive if they only had ~50 pro teams as their customers.
  • It provides filler for all the later rounds at national events. :)

I tend to agree with this statement Jesse ... The NFC's might bring a spectator boom to National Events for a very short term. Hell, my Dad clammers on about how great it would be to see "real" FC's again. The one's that resemble production cars of thier period. But I gotta believe that only a very, very, small group of fans under the age of 40 really gives a Rat's butt about NFC's. No offense to anyone in the Baby Boomer and up category, but once that genre stops attending Drag Races there will be no real interest in Nostalgia. The racing of the 1990's and 2000's will be what the younger crowd pays to see. I think that switch would ultimately hurt NHRA. I guess you all have to take the NHRA's word that Sportsman racing is here to stay and that the only people that can hurt sportsman racing are the sportsman racers.

My 21 & 19 year old sons would much rather watch 1000 ft burnouts, dry hops and side by side racing with N/FC's than the generic corporate flying wedges that have been created with the current rules of today............ that only "race" 1000 ft.:rolleyes:
Their favorites floppers are the Estrus racing Beach City Chevrolet Corvette and Randy Walls' Super Nova. At 21 & 19 they have no knowledge of these cars racing at Lions, OCIR or Irwindale on a weekly basis. They just think they are cool cars to watch and they don't get all caught up in the ET & MPH.
These F/C's have names, personality and put on a great show, there not rolling corporate bill boards.
I understand that the biggest standing "O" in Vegas wasn't for any of the winners. It was for the 2 N/FC's of Plueger & Austin after they ran side by side 5.88 to 5.89
As far as it being a short term spike on the grid, tell that to all of the bodies that are filling up dragstrips across the country when the REAL funnies, AA/FA's and AA/FD's show up to race. I went to my first nostalgia race 4 years ago and I WON'T go back to a big show event again even if Goodwin buys me a 4 day pass.
RG, But In-n-Out might change my mind. :eek:Oh look at that it's lunchtime
FYI, Jim your dad is a very intelligent man and YOU should listen to him.:D

My 21 & 19 year old sons would much rather watch 1000 ft burnouts, dry hops and side by side racing with N/FC's than the generic corporate flying wedges that have been created with the current rules of today............ that only "race" 1000 ft.:rolleyes:
Their favorites floppers are the Estrus racing Beach City Chevrolet Corvette and Randy Walls' Super Nova. At 21 & 19 they have no knowledge of these cars racing at Lions, OCIR or Irwindale on a weekly basis. They just think they are cool cars to watch and they don't get all caught up in the ET & MPH.
These F/C's have names, personality and put on a great show, there not rolling corporate bill boards.
I understand that the biggest standing "O" in Vegas wasn't for any of the winners. It was for the 2 N/FC's of Plueger & Austin after they ran side by side 5.88 to 5.89
As far as it being a short term spike on the grid, tell that to all of the bodies that are filling up dragstrips across the country when the REAL funnies, AA/FA's and AA/FD's show up to race. I went to my first nostalgia race 4 years ago and I WON'T go back to a big show event again even if Goodwin buys me a 4 day pass.
RG, But In-n-Out might change my mind. :eek:Oh look at that it's lunchtime
FYI, Jim your dad is a very intelligent man and YOU should listen to him.:D
Kevin ... great post. I too spent many days as a teen at various tracks with Dad watching funny cars from my era (Segrini-Super Brut, Beadle-Blue Max, Castronovo-Custom Body, Pulde-War Eagle, Boninfante-US Male, Santucci-Black Magic, Etchells-Future Force, Hoffman-China Syndrome, etc.). We had a blast as you obviously do with your boys.:) They were cool shows then, but I wouldn't pay now to watch them as a Pro Class at a National Event (My choice). Obviously, your boys were influenced by your love for Nostalgia and that is great! I know there are young people out there that do enjoy it, but I did prefice my post with the comment
... very, very, small group of fans under the age of 40 ...
My point was that I do believe that group of fans will continue to shrink and certainly not grow in size. It is just evolution.

We need to get those NFC on the east coast for the summer. Like a small tour. Say July 1 Columbus, Then Thompson, Then Reading, Englishtown, Maryland, Bristol, Atlanta Then back west

... I know there are young people out there that do enjoy it, but I did prefice my post with the comment My point was that I do believe that group of fans will continue to shrink and certainly not grow in size. It is just evolution.

I'm kinda missing your point on this one Jim...

What part of drag racing are you thinking the next generation of fan will be into after us "old geezers ;)" are out of the way?

I can understand the youth being interested in the import/ sport compact racing, but IMO that will carry the same interest as Stock/SS/Comp for the gearheads that dig the sport or are actually competing. As far as the SHOW, what makes you think that a couple of snortin, buckin, fire-breathin floppers or dragsters that run 290-300 in the quarter WON't hold the interest of the future generation of upcoming fans like they did with us back in the day? I mean, nitro racing like this is a show- its not boring money matchups, and it doesn't end in the blink of an eye. It's INTERESTING, and if that's what the kids are brought up watching (if they were gonna be fans of the drags anyway), this would be the type of entertainment they would be looking for- not hyper-powered slot cars.

We need to get those NFC on the east coast for the summer. Like a small tour. Say July 1 Columbus, Then Thompson, Then Reading, Englishtown, Maryland, Bristol, Atlanta Then back west

Do not forget about us down here in the sunshine state I for one would love to have a NFC show here.

Do not forget about us down here in the sunshine state I for one would love to have a NFC show here.

There are plenty of funny car and nostalgia nitro events this year:

The Drag Racing Online AA Funny Car Championship, a six-event points series for Nostalgia AA/FC cars will be contested at five of the Midwest’s most historic tracks this year. The series will begin May 29-31 with the Muscle Car Reunion and Nostalgia Drags at Gateway International Raceway in Madison, Ill. The second event will be contested at the Goodguys event June 12-14 at O’Reilly Raceway Park in Indianapolis. Two events will then be held at Cordova (Ill.) Dragway Park: the Nostalgiafest June 26-27 and the World Series of Drag Racing Aug. 28-30.

Sept. 11-13 the Drag Racing Online AA Funny Car Championship will be held at the Muscle Car Reunion in Kansas City, and the final event will be Oct. 16-18 at the Goodguys event at Beech Bend Raceway Park in Bowling Green, Ky.

Both Muscle Car Reunion events and the Nostalgiafest are Hot Rod Heritage Series Associate events.

(NNFCP)
"Nitro Nick" Boninfante's Nostalgia Nitro Funny Car Promotions cars are guaranteed performers and run in the 5.8 to 6.2 second range and perform super-smoky burnouts and the popular "Dry-Hops" just like these cars did in the 70s.

These events are confirmed with more races to be announced soon.

Saturday, May 30th - "Night of Thrills" Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ

Saturday, June 13th - "Funny Cars under the Stars" New England Dragway, Epping, NH

Saturday, June 20th - "Night of Fire" Maple Grove Dragway, Reading, PA

Sunday, July 26th - "Funny Car Reunion" Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ

Saturday, Sept. 12th - Geezers at the Grove" Maple Grove Dragway, Reading, PA

----

fcfmini.jpg

Next weekend (April 24 - 25) at Sacramento Raceway

dragfest_flyer.jpg

Funny Cars, Top Fuel, Fuel Altereds, Gassers, Pin-up girls... a Party with drag racing!

----

1367359_md.jpg

Las Vegas Speed Spectacular May 15-17 features nostalgia racing, car show, music

Exhibition runs by the world-famous Nanook AA/FA fuel altered and the Vegas Heat AA/FA fuel altered. Nitro funny cars making exhibition runs on Saturday May 16 will be 2008 Speed Spectacular Funny Car Champion Nathan Bugg in the "Lil Nate" Barracuda, Dennis Taylor driving the "Future Flash" Dodge Charger, the "Beach City Chevrolet" topless Corvette driven by Ed Schwarz and "McCain's Bomb Squad" Plymouth Duster piloted by Mendy Fry.

Classes contested at this year's meet include: A/Fuel, AA/Gas, Junior Fuel, Nostalgia Eliminator, A/Gas, B/Gas and C/Gas, to name just a few.

----

June 19-21: 7th Annual Holley National Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

You've got to look around, check your local drag strip schedules. It'll be worth the trip.

There are plenty of funny car and nostalgia nitro events this year:

The Drag Racing Online AA Funny Car Championship, a six-event points series for Nostalgia AA/FC cars will be contested at five of the Midwest’s most historic tracks this year. The series will begin May 29-31 with the Muscle Car Reunion and Nostalgia Drags at Gateway International Raceway in Madison, Ill. The second event will be contested at the Goodguys event June 12-14 at O’Reilly Raceway Park in Indianapolis. Two events will then be held at Cordova (Ill.) Dragway Park: the Nostalgiafest June 26-27 and the World Series of Drag Racing Aug. 28-30.

Sept. 11-13 the Drag Racing Online AA Funny Car Championship will be held at the Muscle Car Reunion in Kansas City, and the final event will be Oct. 16-18 at the Goodguys event at Beech Bend Raceway Park in Bowling Green, Ky.

Both Muscle Car Reunion events and the Nostalgiafest are Hot Rod Heritage Series Associate events.

(NNFCP)
"Nitro Nick" Boninfante's Nostalgia Nitro Funny Car Promotions cars are guaranteed performers and run in the 5.8 to 6.2 second range and perform super-smoky burnouts and the popular "Dry-Hops" just like these cars did in the 70s.

These events are confirmed with more races to be announced soon.

Saturday, May 30th - "Night of Thrills" Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ

Saturday, June 13th - "Funny Cars under the Stars" New England Dragway, Epping, NH

Saturday, June 20th - "Night of Fire" Maple Grove Dragway, Reading, PA

Sunday, July 26th - "Funny Car Reunion" Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ

Saturday, Sept. 12th - Geezers at the Grove" Maple Grove Dragway, Reading, PA

----

fcfmini.jpg

Next weekend (April 24 - 25) at Sacramento Raceway

dragfest_flyer.jpg

Funny Cars, Top Fuel, Fuel Altereds, Gassers, Pin-up girls... a Party with drag racing!

----

1367359_md.jpg

Las Vegas Speed Spectacular May 15-17 features nostalgia racing, car show, music

Exhibition runs by the world-famous Nanook AA/FA fuel altered and the Vegas Heat AA/FA fuel altered. Nitro funny cars making exhibition runs on Saturday May 16 will be 2008 Speed Spectacular Funny Car Champion Nathan Bugg in the "Lil Nate" Barracuda, Dennis Taylor driving the "Future Flash" Dodge Charger, the "Beach City Chevrolet" topless Corvette driven by Ed Schwarz and "McCain's Bomb Squad" Plymouth Duster piloted by Mendy Fry.

Classes contested at this year's meet include: A/Fuel, AA/Gas, Junior Fuel, Nostalgia Eliminator, A/Gas, B/Gas and C/Gas, to name just a few.

----

June 19-21: 7th Annual Holley National Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

You've got to look around, check your local drag strip schedules. It'll be worth the trip.

Well then I stand corrected. But since I did not know of any of these maybe what we need is better publicity.
Also most of those are BB/FC still a good show, but not AA/NFC

Remember this thread. Its now about two weeks away from Indy. Which one of you that posted about boycotting Indy is actually doing it.

I thought so!

Like I said back In April. Not gonna happen!:D

I'm still not going!!!!

Then again I wasn't going in the first place, but damn it!!!!! I am boycotting and not going!!!!!! :D:D

I'm still not going!!!!

Then again I wasn't going in the first place, but damn it!!!!! I am boycotting and not going!!!!!! :D:D

WELL, Actually I'm not either but Its not about a boycott. I just have to get a daughter married that weekend

But, If I was going.:p I wouldn't go

Sorry guys, I appreciate that the economy is in tough shape especially in some areas of the US. It is in our country too. This year at the Mission Divisional it looked like the car count was down slightly from previous years. If you had never been to a drag race before it doesn't look like anyone is hurting. Come on, $145 per year extra!! 50 k engines in super comp stuffed in 53 footers.

First, the members can give feed back to the president and the board. Some of you really are whiners. Remember, as members you are the share holders. But a not for profit, doesn't mean it should be run so the entity is in jeopardy. In fact it is legally the boards responsibility to protect the association.

I do appreciate how this thread started. I am sorry you might not be able to race.

In fact lowering prices in this economy will cause deflation. This would be a disaster in any economy. More businesses need to be aware of this.

CEO's making 700K a year. Now that is interesting.........some pretty smart people make a lot less than that

First, the members can give feed back to the president and the board. Some of you really are whiners. Remember, as members you are the share holders. But a not for profit, doesn't mean it should be run so the entity is in jeopardy. In fact it is legally the boards responsibility to protect the association.

You're not even in the neighborhood of having a clue of what you're talking about. Let me guess, you've never actually raced with NHRA have you?

As far as younger fans and Nostalgia racing I think your dead wrong.. My 10 year old could care less abotu the NHRA big show circus.. He can tell you most of the drivers names for the nostalgia cars though.. he isnt the only one either I normally only attened Nostalgia races and i see tons of Kids there.. The future is alot brighter then the NHRA show thats for sure

Darr, You forgot the Northwest BB/FC association
Great group of BB nostalgia funnycars based out of the great Northwest...
Here is a pic of my Favorite Funny out of that group
Tiki Warrior

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back