Wally World Sticks it to the Racers.....Again!!! (2 Viewers)

Dave

Nitro Member
NHRA Story » NHRA announces changes to competition fees
I'm not sure if anybody has seen this yet, but the NHRA has announced they have raised the competition fees (i.e. license, permanent numbers, and chassis inspection) for the Racers. They say this has to be done as " given the current economic environment, NHRA needs to adjust fees to help offset some increased costs." What increased costs? Do they mean rediculas pay raises for Tom Compton and Graham Light? This is total BULLSH*T!!! The economy is in the toilet, the car counts are down, the stands aren't full, and they pull this stunt. The NHRA has taken in God knows how much money over the years and now they say they need to do this because of increasing costs. What did they do with all of the damn money? Where is it? Didn't they hire Compton because he was supposed to be some hot-sh*t bean counter? What did they do with all of the money? My Competition License is up to be renewed and now I really wonder if I will bother with it. I might as well put my stuff up for sale and be done with Drag Racing. I had been trying to figure out ways to save some money so I could go Racing later this year. I had a basic plan that allowed for NO enexpected expenses. In other words, if something broke, that would be it for the year. Now, with this latest news, it screws up my budget. I have to now come up with $100.00 for my License, $20.00 for an additional class number, and the standard $125.00 for a physical. That's now $245.00 in total. I hadn't planned on the increase. NHRA doubled these prices because they say they don't have enough money. How many Racers don't have enough money to go Racing? I love running my car and the fans love it as well, but at some point the insanity has to stop. Compton, Light and the rest of NHRA's top stooges are paid a ton and we the Racers, get the shaft. To save money, did they cut Compton's pay or did he actually get over $700,000? I suppose he'll get another raise for this bone headed idea. I don't want to run IHRA because I just don't care for it. I have really tried over the years to be loyal to and stick up for NHRA, but this is unacceptable. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. BTW, you didn't even kiss me after you finished.

Dave

Last edited:
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.....

And I get flamed when I mentioned Compton and his Bentley as others stuck up for the clown.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, NHRA is NOT the racers organization anymore.

Once again, the rich man's busy dancing while the poor man pays the band... :cool:

I agree with you Dave.I'm not spending as much as you are,but the double price increase wasn't something I planned for either.

You would think in the tight economy that NHRA would hold prices,but these morons double it.No wonder many are looking at IHRA, ADRL and even leaving the sport.

VERY BAD MOVE NHRA!!

As I have said many times....this is what happens when you hire guys who had never even seen a drag race before and came from a dog food company.

Lots of empty seats in Vegas...barely full fields in T/F & F/C. Divisional Points Meets are notorious money losers for the tracks....just wait until they have to deal with this.

Let's see: millions laid off jobs; hundreds of houses in foreclosure; bunches of people lining up for financial assistance......so hey, NHRA raise prices so the racers can't afford to do anything they enjoy. Brilliant!!!!!

THe only way to send a message is to compete at fewer races, once NHRA takes it in the pocketbook they'll get the message!

As I have said many times....this is what happens when you hire guys who had never even seen a drag race before and came from a dog food company.

Lots of empty seats in Vegas...barely full fields in T/F & F/C. Divisional Points Meets are notorious money losers for the tracks....just wait until they have to deal with this.

Let's see: millions laid off jobs; hundreds of houses in foreclosure; bunches of people lining up for financial assistance......so hey, NHRA raise prices so the racers can't afford to do anything they enjoy. Brilliant!!!!!

..MA!....Found the tape!.SENDINg!)....Graham used to drive a fueler for both Ron Hodgson and Bob Lawrence.....he came from an awesome group of competitors.(the team won fc and r/ued in t/f at the Finals one year...God Bless Jerry Verhuel.!)....Hmmmmmmm....makes you wonder about some of the discisions made at the nhra......double Hmmmmmmm.

Last edited:
well this will make it more fun to go for my S/C license next month
You learned nothing from me did you padawan? I sure hope to God that its a 4b license your going for! You know, one of those shorter looking things. A wise young man once told me, 'NOSTALGIA IS WHERE ITS AT'...go the path of the del worsham!

Rapid, will you please knock some sense into this boy! :)

NHRA Story » NHRA announces changes to competition fees
I'm not sure if anybody has seen this yet, but the NHRA has announced they have raised the competition fees (i.e. license, permanent numbers, and chassis inspection) for the Racers. They say this has to be done as " given the current economic environment, NHRA needs to adjust fees to help offset some increased costs." What increased costs? Do they mean rediculas pay raises for Tom Compton and Graham Light? This is total BULLSH*T!!! The economy is in the toilet, the car counts are down, the stands aren't full, and they pull this stunt. The NHRA has taken in God knows how much money over the years and now they say they need to do this because of increasing costs. What did they do with all of the damn money? Where is it? Didn't they hire Compton because he was supposed to be some hot-sh*t bean counter? What did they do with all of the money? My Competition License is up to be renewed and now I really wonder if I will bother with it. I might as well put my stuff up for sale and be done with Drag Racing. I had been trying to figure out ways to save some money so I could go Racing later this year. I had a basic plan that allowed for NO enexpected expenses. In other words, if something broke, that would be it for the year. Now, with this latest news, it screws up my budget. I have to now come up with $100.00 for my License, $20.00 for an additional class number, and the standard $125.00 for a physical. That's now $245.00 in total. I hadn't planned on the increase. NHRA doubled these prices because they say they don't have enough money. How many Racers don't have enough money to go Racing? I love running my car and the fans love it as well, but at some point the insanity has to stop. Compton, Light and the rest of NHRA's top stooges are paid a ton and we the Racers, get the shaft. To save money, did they cut Compton's pay or did he actually get over $700,000? I suppose he'll get another raise for this bone headed idea. I don't want to run IHRA because I just don't care for it. I have really tried over the years to be loyal to and stick up for NHRA, but this is unacceptable. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. BTW, you didn't even kiss me after you finished.

Dave

Dave- first off, let me say I'm sorry your program's in jepoardy... I truly know what it's like to know that running out of cash means parking your ride.

Now I truly expect to get flamed for my next comment.

We all had to know this was coming.

There's currently a thread going about attendance in Vegas being down. Pomona cost EVERYONE, including NHRA, more cash than anyone wanted to put out before they even had a chance to make anything. The economy is going to probably get worse before it gets better, and it affects all businesses, including NHRA. Running Safety Safari down the road costs just as much as when we put them out there. Travel and lodging, materials for preparing a track for a National or Divisional, the increased advertising that has been running, yada yada yada- we all know its not cheap for anyone, but that includes the teams that takes up the pads in the pits.

You say it in your own post- the car counts are down, the stands aren't full... It's all heading to hell in a handbasket, and for Glendora to keep the circus going, they, like most businesses, are making moves that will hopefully be the right ones in the long run, and keep things going in the meantime.

HOPEFULLY one of those things we hear in the immediate future is a massive paycut (say, $100 for every licenced competitor on the books today) taken by the Board of Directors to also shoulder some of the burden that should not be placed exclusively on the backs of the participants or patrons- it'll actually add up and help the problem but not be financially devistating to any CEO's base income. Anything less will be met with an outcry to match the likes of Enron or AIG. I'm not being dramatic with that last statement- people have tens, and in some cases, hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in just competing in the SPORTSMAN ranks of this organization (just as you have), and have made huge sacrafices to participate in something that ultimately brings cash back into the accounts at NHRA. Parking teams to make a point could be catastrophic to everyone's bottom line, but as we all know, somebody is bound to show up. And another guy. And another team. and so the story goes. :(

Hopefully your outrage is making its way around other internet race sites, as most racers wont know about this until ND shows up, and even then, it will only be one side of the story. The call for the BoD to show good faith in trying to keep this call for keeping the organization afloat and the wheels rolling is imperiative- the idea that this will go exclusively on the backs of the racers without come sort of concessions from those that we all know are handsomely compensated is a bet that those that made this decision feel they are more of an organized faction than the group that it will affect.
That kind of logic may have worked when the house press and telephone were the only way of communicating within the sport. The Web, and those that have built the respect of their peers on it, will make it known that there are options available, whether it be a boycott of a race or even of membership/licencing renewals, or as you mentioned, moving to an organization that at least shows that the burden of a bad economy needs to be shouldered by all involved- not bypassing those in an Ivory tower.

It will take a joined effort if it becomes a fight for it to be sucessful, either as the sanctioning body working with its racers, or in the worst case scenario, the racers working against the organization.

Last edited:
You guys are wasting your breath and finger tips on this one. The brass in Glendora have known for a long time that most (not all) have the "needle" in so deep that we can never quit racing. They love it when they see 80' toter/stackers with a super comp dragster or two in them.

Their attitude has been that they couldn't care less if some of us stop running their events, because there were 5 people ready to take our spot in the pit area. Well, the sad reality is, that back up plan isn't working anymore. Those 5 folks that were building cars are now either doing something else with their expendable income, or saving it to pay the mortgage.

Unfortunately this price increase will do little to thin the hurd, IMO. My license is due to expire at the end of this month, and if I want to have it turn a tire anywhere within 1,500 miles of my home, I'm gonna have to fork it over. It sucks but it's true.

And the part that sucks even worse, and some here may not realize it, but every nostalgia, CIFCA, slash fill in your favorite non-NHRA event, must carry an NHRA license to compete at one of their sanctioned tracks. Monopoly plain and simple.

If I could sell my car and trailer for a decent number, I think I'd finally be ready to be done. Now,....who do I make the check out to?

You guys are wasting your breath and finger tips on this one. The brass in Glendora have known for a long time that most (not all) have the "needle" in so deep that we can never quit racing. They love it when they see 80' toter/stackers with a super comp dragster or two in them.

Their attitude has been that they couldn't care less if some of us stop running their events, because there were 5 people ready to take our spot in the pit area. Well, the sad reality is, that back up plan isn't working anymore. Those 5 folks that were building cars are now either doing something else with their expendable income, or saving it to pay the mortgage.

Unfortunately this price increase will do little to thin the hurd, IMO. My license is due to expire at the end of this month, and if I want to have it turn a tire anywhere within 1,500 miles of my home, I'm gonna have to fork it over. It sucks but it's true.

And the part that sucks even worse, and some here may not realize it, but every nostalgia, CIFCA, slash fill in your favorite non-NHRA event, must carry an NHRA license to compete at one of their sanctioned tracks. Monopoly plain and simple.

If I could sell my car and trailer for a decent number, I think I'd finally be ready to be done. Now,....who do I make the check out to?

BINGO HAS BEEN CALLED!!!....Bill...as always...nail on the head.!...nuff said!

Bill,
My wallet dictates when and where I can run.

I can take my car(that can run 3-4 different classes) and just re-wire it,change the gearing,throw on some aluminum cylinder heads and put it back on the street.It would take some time and work,but could be done easily.If I want to race,I can either put it on the trailer or drive it and race it.Makes no difference to me.NHRA already made me buy pants this year,so why not jack up my 3 permanent number fees as well??

I can bracket race all weekend long.

As a non-racer I have NO idea what numbers we're talking here? Somebody give me some figures to go by. How much more is a NHRA license? Is it yearly? How much more does it cost to enter a Natl. event?

in there statement they claim that even with the increase they will have tocontinue to subsidize the sportman programs, if you take the entry fee x
# of cars = way more than the payout ! i'm not sure what the current entry fee is $150? for the super categorys and they run for $1500 - $2000?
i've been to topeka a few times when they had around 130 s/c cars, the math doesn't add up...:rolleyes:

As a non-racer I have NO idea what numbers we're talking here? Somebody give me some figures to go by. How much more is a NHRA license? Is it yearly? How much more does it cost to enter a Natl. event?

I think it was $50 bucks before, plus 10 for every additional category you had. Now it's a $100 plus 20

This reminds me of a cartoon I saw once about two executives at a nuclear power plant. One of them said "In a worst case scenario, we have a meltdown and lose half of our customers." The other one said "No problem, we double our rates and we're back on our feet." Draw your own conclusions...

I've been involved in Drag Racing since 1969. Most of my racing has been in AHRA and bracket racing. I raced one NHRA national event 1986 Texas inaugral event and had a blast. Since then my illness has kept me from racing.

NHRA is a not for profit organization. Here is a paragraph from Wikipedia on a Not For Profit Organization.

A primary difference between a nonprofit and a for-profit corporation is that a nonprofit does not issue stock or pay dividends, (for example, The Code of the Commonwealth of Virginia includes the Non-Stock Corporation Act that is used to incorporate nonprofit entities) and may not enrich its directors. However, like for-profit corporations, nonprofits may still have employees and can compensate their directors within reasonable bounds.

As a business owner for 30yrs I understand the economics of running a business. According to recent tax statements NHRA is doing very well and maintaining a good growth to re-invest into there NPO. I'm sure the employees are paid a reasonable salary, so we could say with good faith that NHRA is running quite well.
I see no reason for NHRA to be raising prices at this time, there margin is good and with the slow economy and loyalty of the Sportsman Racers ( The backbone of NHRA ) I think the prices should be lowered across the board.
When I say across the board that also includes prices the fans of NHRA Drag Racing are paying out.

Now for the directors of NHRA, $500,000 to $700,000 compensation for CEO's is not within reasonable bounds for this type of corporation, plus G Light and T Compton should not have a position on the board of directors. What to do about this, not sure, These two know we need this organization and they will continue to Hold us Hostage as long as they hold their positions.

For the racers I understand there drive to want to race every chance they can. I don't think boycotting is a good idea, we want NHRA to survive. My thoughts are if I was still driving I would go ahead get my license but I would cut back on NHRA events and try to make the big money races to fill in the off weeks and probably put more money in your pocket.

" We can change this mess we're in by staying positive! And remember to VOTE for people that support your ideas."

You guys make a lot of valid points and what you guys have said is what makes me so mad. They've got us by the balls, if we still want to compete. We have to pay this or quit, and I really don't want to quit. If they wanted to increase the fees they should have done it two years ago before the economy really went to hell. To pull this crap now is a classic case of BAD TIMING. Doesn't NHRA realize that Sportsman Racing is their bread and butter. Sportsman Racers have to pay an entry fee and the Pros don't. I have nothing against the Pros, I love watching them. But if NHRA put some thought into finding money to fill their void, why not charge the Pros an entry fee. Make the people with the most money make up for the increased costs. The real problem is that NHRA is the only real game in town. I run my Racing program as a business and in a business, you have to do what's best for it. If I have two material suppliers that sell the same thing but one charges double what the other charges, guess who I'm going to buy from. With this situation, we really have no choice. Sure, you can run IHRA but there are more NHRA tracks than IHRA. You need an NHRA license to run on an NHRA strip. I suppose I'll have to pay it, just like everyody else, but it sure isn't fair.

Dave

i quoted below from there web site...they say that the sportsman does not cover their own cost...

"It should be noted that these fees, even as increased, do not cover the costs for Sportsman programs. NHRA will continue to subsidize costs to provide these programs. NHRA remains committed to Sportsman racing, and these increases will assist us in being able to continue to provide premier racing programs at the national, divisional, and local level".

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back