Torkelson Motorsports Races Street Machines Shootout (1 Viewer)

TORKELSON MOTORSPORTS RACES STREET MACHINES SHOOTOUT
Driver Jim Wiens Has Major Homecoming Planned

ROGERSVILLE, MO (September 12, 2007) – The Nitro Coupe team of Torkelson Motorsports is taking a break from National level competition, and heading to Rogersville, Missouri for the Street Machines Shootout at Ozark International Raceway. The 15 year, annual event is the biggest for the track, and boasts a serious field of Pro Modified 1/8 mile racing. Competing in every prior Street Machines Shootout, Nixa , Missouri resident Jim Wiens is extra excited to show his driving skills behind the wheel of Torkeklson’s ’53 Corvette.

“This weekend we are racing at my hometown 1/8 mile track in Rogersville , MO , during the biggest race of the year,” commented Wiens. “I am very thankful for my team owners, Wayne and Barbara Torkelson, to make a dream come true for me and bring the Nitro Coupe down here to run in the Pro Mod. This is such a tremendous race for our local area, and there are a lot of great cars coming here to compete. What make this special for me, is we have a very fast and competitive car that has the power to not only win, but also possibly to break the 3 second barrier at this OIR. All of the pieces are there to do it, but it's up to me and Wayne to unlock it. We have been 4.01 on a very hot track in Chi – Town, but the weather conditions this weekend are going to be awesome. It won’t be a mater of who will go the first 3, but how many cars will do it. Winning this race at home would mean more to me then winning any other race that I could think of.”

To add to the mix of excitement and pressure, Wiens will also drive a second car during the event. Campaigning a turbo car locally for several years has given Wiens a popular name among his hometown racing community. So much in fact, he was nominated the ‘Godfather’ of the Small Block Mafia, an organization of small block Chevy enthusiasts.

Wiens went on to say, “If the Nitro Coupe was not enough, I will have my 69 Camaro, turbo, small block car here that will race in the Pro Street class. Of course, I will be giving my full attention to the Nitro Vette, but with the extra help I have this weekend, and the ease of running the turbo car, we can do both. I hope by racing both cars this weekend, I can show my long standing support to local racing. To add to my exciting week, I re-opened my race car building and full chassis shop, Jim Wiens Race Cars, and I'm looking forward to having a long and successful career building race cars again.”

With a new light on his career, and future in racing, Wiens is anxious and proud to show his hometown fans just what racing talent he possesses. Although Wiens has been a local race favorite for several years, he has yet to show his friends and supporters first hand what has given him National level credit.

“I can’t thank Wayne and Barbara [Torkelson] enough for making the long haul down here, and I hope to make them proud,” said a humble Wiens. “Every race we attend, Wayne and I gel together even more. We have done a lot more than I ever dreamed with this ''old'', outdated car that was gathering dust in his shop.”

Jim Wiens and Torkelson Motorsports will next compete September 21 - 23, 2007 for the Super Chevy Show in Bristol, Tennessee.

Torkelson Motorsports would like to thank Redline Oil, Super Chevy Show, Jim Wiens Race Cars, and Ozark International Raceway for their continued support.

For more information on this or anything regarding Torkelson Motorsports, please contact Amy Johnson, Public Relations representative.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back