Spring Vegas Going 4 Wide (1 Viewer)

I thought I would like 4-wide. Even went to it once, while the sound and power was cool you have no idea what was going on. Thought maybe it would be cool on TV but it was even worse. I don't even bother to watch that event most of the time now. If it's one race, I don't care, but now if they are adding the long rumored Vegas and with as many tracks as Burton owns, I worry as to how many more tracks he would do this with.

No room at Bristol (thank goodness). Sonoma would take a lot more money than it would be worth. Vegas and Charlotte were both built specifically to be 4 Wide tracks, they just never put in lanes 3 and 4 at Vegas (yet). Vegas 1 is always light on attendance, and they must have some kind of data that we don't know about that shows people like 4 Wides at Charlotte, so that would make it worth the capital investment in Vegas. That way they can have one on the East Coast and West Coast and they could claim they are making it accessible to more fans. What about scheduling, Vegas 1 and Charlotte 1 are usually less than a month apart, seems like they would want to be spread out on the schedule a bit more than that, but maybe not since the venues are 2000 miles apart.

Last edited:
Vegas was supposed to be 4 wide so you could run on the one side while the other side was being cleaned up so there wouldn't be a lot of TV down time, just guessing but I think the possible dangers of a crew cleaning one side while the other side is racing would be to dangerous was what stopped that plan

I've been to the 4-Wides at Charlotte a couple of times, and was even there the first year they ran that demo four-wide lap. In my opinion, you see a lot less racing, when you run them four at a time. Too much to focus on, and too little time to do it.

Not only do you miss a round of racing in eliminations, you also miss more overall pro class passes. For 2-wide, you'll have 8 laps in the first round, 4 in the second, two in the third, and a final....which equates to 15 total passes per Pro Class. With 4 wide, you have 4 in the first, 2 in the second, and a final round of four. 7 Total laps per pro class.

In my mind, 7 total elimination elimination rounds is like seeing half of the race program, even if you're runnnig twice as many cars per lap. This 4 wide stuff should be run as non-points events, and with much lower ticket prices. Gimme half a show, and I'll be happy paying for half the regular ticket price.

Not only do you miss a round of racing in eliminations, you also miss more overall pro class passes. For 2-wide, you'll have 8 laps in the first round, 4 in the second, two in the third, and a final....which equates to 15 total passes per Pro Class. With 4 wide, you have 4 in the first, 2 in the second, and a final round of four. 7 Total laps per pro class.

You can break it down however you want to.....I could say that you are still seeing for each Pro class 16 cars/bikes going down the track in the first round, 8 in the second round and 4 in the finals, for a total of 28 runs; that's compared to 30 at a regular event :D

In my mind, 7 total elimination elimination rounds is like seeing half of the race program, even if you're running twice as many cars per lap. This 4 wide stuff should be run as non-points events, and with much lower ticket prices. Gimme half a show, and I'll be happy paying for half the regular ticket price.

I think Bruton knows what he is doing, whether die hard fans like it or not. It's one of the few races that sells out each year.

I have yet to see a 4-wide, but plan to. I don't get why so many "die-hards" threaten to boycott a race, because there is one less round of racing in 3 or 4 classes. Yet, the "die-hards" (of which I am one) always say they are there for the whole deal, not just the pros. If Vegas 1 was on my regular schedule, I wouldn't NOT go because of it becoming 4 wide, I'd actually support the race put on by a guy who has made a huge investment in our sport, and I'd like to see it succeed. But, that's just me...

I have yet to see a 4-wide, but plan to. I don't get why so many "die-hards" threaten to boycott a race, because there is one less round of racing in 3 or 4 classes. Yet, the "die-hards" (of which I am one) always say they are there for the whole deal, not just the pros. If Vegas 1 was on my regular schedule, I wouldn't NOT go because of it becoming 4 wide, I'd actually support the race put on by a guy who has made a huge investment in our sport, and I'd like to see it succeed. But, that's just me...
I've yet to miss a Vegas national event and I will definitely go for the first 4 wide. It sucks on TV but maybe it will be better in person. If I don't like it I will go to another event instead. The biggest issue for me is keeping track who is in what lane. By the time the cars get to the finish line it can be hard to remember who is in what lane.

Drag racing is going to Hell in a hand basket. The Standing Quarter Mile is gone. Now we have 4 cars running at the same time? Looks like Ringling Brothers is back in town!

Sadly that's the crowd they are marketing to. Look kids! The circus is in town! I think it's a little disrespectful of the sport to market it as a spectacle after all the effort Wally Parks and others put into making it a legitimate competitive sport.

I've been going to the drags since 1961 and there have always been "circus acts". Tommy Ivo in AA/FD vs a rocket powered go kart. The guy with the motorcycle with a kite on top (at OCIR) who jumped tractor trailer rigs. Jet cars. Wheelie cars. The wheelstanding tanks. When funny cars first came on the scene, some tracks played circus music. I have always enjoyed most of the circus acts, especially jets. I guess it's part of drag racing.

Not a fan of four wide spectacle!
It's bad enough they shorten it to 1000' now four wide.
I guess I'll only go to the October race!
I think if attendance sucks move it to tack that does better!
Sonoma always seems to fill the stands with the sea level imagine what they would run with cooler conditions!
Like I said Sonoma on Friday looked like s sellout!
Crowds are always sparse on Friday at every race but not Sonoma.
Lots of money in that area!

I've been going to the drags since 1961 and there have always been "circus acts". Tommy Ivo in AA/FD vs a rocket powered go kart. The guy with the motorcycle with a kite on top (at OCIR) who jumped tractor trailer rigs. Jet cars. Wheelie cars. The wheelstanding tanks. When funny cars first came on the scene, some tracks played circus music. I have always enjoyed most of the circus acts, especially jets. I guess it's part of drag racing.

The thing I liked about Vegas is you were SOO close to the cars, especially on the spectator side! Now it will be like Sonoma!

Calm down folks, the sky is not falling. [Despite the eclipse ].
I'm gonna think most haters have never seen 4 wide, yet they are sure they don't like it. All I'm saying is give it a try, if you don't like it, fine stay home. But don't keep the rest of us from enjoying it.
Michael H is correct on Sunday you see 28 passes with 4 wide - 30 with 2 wide. Trust me the roar WILL more than make up for the 2 less.
4 WIDE WEST My only question is............what took so long ?
Thank you Mr. Smith !!

Calm down folks, the sky is not falling. [Despite the eclipse ].
I'm gonna think most haters have never seen 4 wide, yet they are sure they don't like it. All I'm saying is give it a try, if you don't like it, fine stay home. But don't keep the rest of us from enjoying it.
Michael H is correct on Sunday you see 28 passes with 4 wide - 30 with 2 wide. Trust me the roar WILL more than make up for the 2 less.
4 WIDE WEST My only question is............what took so long ?
Thank you Mr. Smith !!

4 wide is fine as an exhibition or match race, but not for points.

What I mean mike is, that its their [nhra] sandbox, we have to play by their rules. Nothing we can do, no one is gonna agree with everything they do.
Just go enjoy the drags, or stay home, the choice is up to everyone.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back