So you're Alan Johnson (1 Viewer)

Gerda,

While I agree the that a foreign driver in the AJ seat would be an amazing opportunity for the driver and the team publicity wise do you really think Lex is the ideal candidate? Has he sent his CV over?

Top Fuel drivers in Europe come and go but some real talents shine through.

My nomination would be Urs Erbacher, someone who has achieved constant success in Europe and a semi final finish in the States. He is also a huge character in the States.

Lex must be chomping at the bit to get back out there after having to cancel entry to the last few events.

What would happen to Kevin Poynter if he did get the gig?

I know Lex and your crew like coming from behind but I reckon this is a race to far...

^ This right here. My experiences with Lex haven't been that great either. He is rather rude. Hey, maybe others have had a different outcome with the man, I just know that I haven't. I'd pick Urs over Lex, Risto over Lex, Anita over Lex... You get my point. Why? The drivers listed all have an excellent and friendly personality, not to mention the driving ability.

I personally think that there's no better driver than Lex.

But my opinion is not objective so it probably doesn't count lol :p

Though I've seen him doing things with race cars (TF, FC, TA/FC driving and tuning! And tuning wise with a P/M) which I think nobody on the European circuit has achieved...

But like I said, my opinion is not really objective :p

Last edited:

I always wonder if Morgan Lucas, Sisthers Force, Matt Hagan etc would also be racing if they had to do everything themself. If yes than they are die hard racers.

Insulting others is not the best way to go about getting your husband a ride. Yes, the drivers you listed are lucky enough to have great family support. However, I don't think they'd be out there racing if they didn't love it. Insulting people you want to go racing against is not very professional.

Insulting others is not the best way to go about getting your husband a ride. Yes, the drivers you listed are lucky enough to have great family support. However, I don't think they'd be out there racing if they didn't love it. Insulting people you want to go racing against is not very professional.

Lol this is why i never reply on this board...

Let's be all honest, of course do people like Brittany and Ashley Force, or Morgan Lucas wanna race. Of course they love the sport and they work their asses off to be in that car!

But I think there's a world of difference between A guy like Bob Bode or Terry Haddock and the Force girls? Or am I being rude now also?

Last edited:
You just did:)

Do you think Mikes point about insulting potential employers and racers is incorrect?

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

Yep I think so, and let's keep this very clear.

This is MY opinion, neither Lex or Gerda have anything to do with it. So don't blame them or think they're rude or anything like it.
My opinion and nothing else.

Do you think that Ashley had to work just as hard as Terry Haddock to even GET to the racertrack?

Edit:
Gerda never said they wouldn't work as hard. She said she wonders if they would if they didn't get the family support.

Ill take myself as an example: I love the racing, love to work my ass off at and off the track. But I wouldn't put my last penny into buying a race car. Does this make me love the racing less? No! But there are people who do, and for me they deserve a paid ride more than I deserve it. But that's my opinion

Last edited:
Yep I think so, and let's keep this very clear.

This is MY opinion, neither Lex or Gerda have anything to do with it. So don't blame them or think they're rude or anything like it.
My opinion and nothing else.

Do you think that Ashley had to work just as hard as Terry Haddock to even GET to the racertrack?

Edit:
Gerda never said they wouldn't work as hard. She said she wonders if they would if they didn't get the family support.

Ill take myself as an example: I love the racing, love to work my ass off at and off the track. But I wouldn't put my last penny into buying a race car. Does this make me love the racing less? No! But there are people who do, and for me they deserve a paid ride more than I deserve it. But that's my opinion

I am probably risking my life commenting on this post, but you do have a point how some did not have to work nearly as hard as others to get into a nitro ride. You could just leave it as an open ended fact that everyone knows is true. I agree with Mike how it's a HORRIBLE IDEA to insult and take shots at the people, teams you wanna race with. You have no idea who reads this. You don't have to be a member on this site to read anything on here, so I would not risk it.

The other part of it is we really dont know how hard they had to work to get the seat, may look easy shoe in to us, but maybe there was more personal promises, and those are harder to achieve then dropping money or being in a well off family. Really I don't care how anyone gets in a nitro ride, if they are a demon on the tree and drive well, they are more than worth it, no matter if your name is force or hagen.

Last edited:
I am probably risking my life commenting on this post, but you do have a point how some did not have to work nearly as hard as others to get into a nitro ride. You could just leave it as an open ended fact that everyone knows is true. I agree with Mike how it's a HORRIBLE IDEA to insult and take shots at the people, teams you wanna race with. You have no idea who reads this. You don't have to be a member on this site to read anything on here, so I would not risk it.

The other part of it is we really dont know how hard they had to work to get the seat, may look easy shoe in to us, but maybe there was more personal promises, and those are harder to achieve then dropping money or being in a well off family. Really I don't care how anyone gets in a nitro ride, if they are a demon on the tree and drive well, they are more than worth it, no matter if your name is force or hagen.

At first, thank you for risking your life for posting a reply :p lol.

I get what you mean, but what I don't get is why it is insulting? She never stated that Force, Hagan or Lucas didn't work for there seat. She never stated that they didn't love racing.
She only stated that those people didn't have to work whole week, besides running a race team and putting every penny, and every free minute in that racecar... That's not insulting to me? They were lucky to have someone who'd pay for the racing, and I think that's luck... Why is that insulting? She never said she didn't respect any of those guys...

Driver I'd pick: Brady Kalivoda

Why: Talented & Marketable second generation driver.

Bill Miller was once quoted as saying Brady's the best driver he's ever had in the seat. Granted, he doesn't have the experience JR Todd, Clay Millican or some of the other names mentioned has, but given the right ride, I believe he could be huge in the sport of Drag Racing.

So... If I were Alan Johnson and I needed to fill the seat of my championship winning Top Fuel Dragster, I would choose Brady... I've done everything else in Top Fuel, why not take a slight chance on an inexperienced guy and prove I can train a driver too?

Note: The guy did show up at the biggest race of the year after nearly two years off and qualify 13th out of 25, ahead of such high profile names as: Cory Mac, Clay Millican & Bruce Litton.

Last edited:
^ This right here. My experiences with Lex haven't been that great either. He is rather rude. Hey, maybe others have had a different outcome with the man, I just know that I haven't. I'd pick Urs over Lex, Risto over Lex, Anita over Lex... You get my point. Why? The drivers listed all have an excellent and friendly personality, not to mention the driving ability.

I met Lex and Gerda and the crew in Vegas like 4 years ago, good people! I admit Lex is quiet and doesn't say much, but he has never been Rude to me in the least! Unfortunately the State of Professional Drag racing in 2011 dictates whoever brings some sponsor $$$ usually ends up in the Seat!

Last edited:
How do you consider what Gerda said to be an insult??? She said that she wondered if they would have been able to do it all to be able to be where they are today. If so, then they are a true racer. That's not an insult. I would throw Brandon Bernstein's name on that list too. Do you think Brandon would have given everything that he had to be a Top Fuel driver??? We don't know, but we'll find out soon. People like the Laganas, Gary Densham, Whit Bazemore, Tim Wilkerson, Haddock, etc., stopped at nothing to live their dream.
.........So... If I were Alan Johnson and I needed to fill the seat of my championship winning Top Fuel Dragster, I would choose Brady... I've done everything else in Top Fuel, why not take a slight chance on an inexperienced guy and prove I can train a driver too?......
I though that he already trained two young drivers into Champions, first with his brother, then Gary Scelzi.;)

There was no insult. I like it that many Europeans speak frankly and I do not read an agenda into it. Unfortunately, American communication often consists of vague inference and spin, so we might not see what actually was said is what was meant and nothing more.

Last edited:
The fact is that in one of the posts up here, a ranking member of a well known European Top Fuel dragster team expresses a doubt about some US NHRA (Hagan/The Force sisters/Lucas) drivers not having to do everything themselves and not being die hard racers because the reason they got into racing is having above average financial means.

Is that statement "insulting" or "factual"? Is it a "smart move" considering the topic? Evidently the opinions differ.

The fact is that in one of the posts up here, a ranking member of a well known European Top Fuel dragster team expresses a doubt about some US NHRA (Hagan/The Force sisters/Lucas) drivers not having to do everything themselves and not being die hard racers because the reason they got into racing is having above average financial means.

Is that statement "insulting" or "factual"? Is it a "smart move" considering the topic? Evidently the opinions differ.

I 100% agree, and it's my first time viewing the thread since my early am post, it's crazy that some people can not find it insulting. It's insulting because just because these better well off drag racing families just seem to field a car to their hired gun family member, does not mean they have any less passion for driving. Remember they had to prove they could do it, they have to prove they are worth keeping in the car every race. Who ever Alan picks for this seat is not gonna be because of money, or because he's best friend with the family, it's gonna be because they are GOOD and show the talent that is neccessary to be given a dream right like this.

She also has no right to say that they never had to work for the right to drive. We have no idea what they did or did not have to do. I truly doubt any of these fortunate racers asked mommy and daddy to field a car and they said ok. Yes they may get outside sponsorship but they are still paying for alot alone and I doubt anyone would just start writing checks without seeing that this is/is not what they should be doing. Force is a smart man, I would be shocked to all hell if he is gonna stick courtney or britney in a tf car just because they said please! I think any racer out there, in any class, had to work for the ride, whether it was their paychecks funding it or getting born into a lucky family.

Do I think Forrest bought Al-Anabi, I never did, I still do not believe the rumor. All I agree with is yes, some may be living the dream of being an overnight success nitro driver because of their family or connections as opposed to the guys that run forever independently and still have not had much success, hoping for a dream gig. Although the 2 groups i just described have different roots, by no means does it mean the passion is less evident in a driver who has fortunate roots.

For those of you that still don't get it, let me be blunt:
It's like saying Alexis Dejoria has no passion for driving because her dad owns patron and she only drove the tafc and fc because she would be just sitting at home tanning and bored without it. I mean come on!

Last edited:

I bet between all of us, we could name Numerous racers over the years who got their break simply because of wealthy parents or connections! I'm sure to some that sucks, but that's the way it is! In a sport like Drag racing where even some Sportsman classes (Alcohol, Comp, and even Super stock). Can be very expensive, only the wealthy in some cases can afford to do it! The days of just getting a ride because of experience or marketability are becoming few and Far between. Otherwise Sean Bellemeur would have got a Pro Ride long ago!!!

Patrick, quit contradicting yourself, it's confusung for all of us!:p

John Force, Whit Bazemore, those guys lived in the back of pick up trucks at truck stops, and ate Vienna Sausage from a can. Most drivers today don't work on their cars, stay at nice hotels or coaches and eat steak dinners. Big difference.

Also, for those that don't know, go do some research on Whit Bazemore's early years of racing, he gave EVERYTHING for his dream.

Last edited:
Patrick, quit contradicting yourself, it's confusung for all of us!:p

John Force, Whit Bazemore, those guys lived in the back of pick up trucks at truck stops, and ate Vienna Sausage from a can. Most drivers today don't work on their cars, stay at nice hotels or coaches and eat steak dinners. Big difference.

Also, for those that don't know, go do some research on Whit Bazemore's early years of racing, he gave EVERYTHING for his dream.

And that's exactly what I meant in my post.
Nobody said that Morgan, Ashley and/or Brittany, or Hagan are less passionate about the sport and about driving.

Gerda only said that she wondered if they would be here where they are now if they had to go through the same as an Bazemore or Force in their early days.

Like I said, I wouldn't... Not because I'm not passionate but because i have a lot to do which costs a lot of money and I simply don't have the balls to put my money in a racecar which can be gone in a stupid mistake.
I had to work not even half as hard as Lex, or Force or Worsham to be in a TF team... And anyone who says that to me is right and is to me in no way insulting me...

But that's just my opinion :)

When you look what's changing with crew cheifs I would guess Langdon will be in Worsham's seat and this will be a 3-4 car power house.

Last edited:
I though that he already trained two young drivers into Champions, first with his brother, then Gary Scelzi.;)

I see the wink, and I understand what you're saying, but the careers of Blaine and Gary before they entered the Top Fuel cockpit under Alan's tutelage is nowhere near the same course Brady's been on. Every Crew Chief has specific ways they want things done by the driver - from the warm-up to the burnout, to staging the car, etc., and as a result, there's always "teachable moments" between driver and crew chief.

Answering Alan's original post, if I were Alan Johnson I would choose Brady because I believe he could adapt to Alan's techniques easily (read: be trained) and perform well fairly quickly.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back