Sad Day (1 Viewer)

The accident may not have happened at a drag race, but it most definitely does have something to do with drag racing. The highly identifiable drag racing car involved in the accident bears the logo of the series name sponsor for the Pro Modified exhibition series that runs in conjunction with the NHRA POWERade series and it was driven by one of the two AMS team drivers competing in that series. Drag racing can't get much more involved than that.

The repercussions of this accident will affect drag racing, drag racing sponsorships, and peoples' attitudes toward drag racing for months, maybe years to come. Don't be surprised if there are movements toward enacting laws designed to restrict the activities associated with drag racing, perhaps in ways that adversely affect the sport. The fact that it happened somewhere other than a dragstrip won't deter opportunistic lawyers and politicians from attacking drag racing in general through lawsuits and legislation.

Grab your socks, boys and girls, it's going to be tough sledding because this is way too high-profile to go away quietly or soon.

I hate to say it, but i'm afraid you're exactly right Larry.

Didn't Clay Millican do a burnout with a TOP FUEL dragster on a famous city street? Seems it was in front a rather famous house called GRACELAND.. Where were you at Garry? Why did you not jump all over Clay for that act of stupidity? I guess this means you won't be any where near Clay's pit area either? Life is dangerous.

Burnouts in public have been happening for a long long time before this. This was a bad bad ACCIDENT.. but it was just an ACCIDENT!!

No need to belabor this point any further, Jeremy. You can say "And none have ever gone wrong", but you would be wrong.

My opinion is that anybody capable of doing something like he did should be relieved of his driver's seat on a permanent basis. Your "everybody makes mistakes" argument won't sway me one bit. We both have opinions, and they are different. I'm okay with that.

To Begin at the Begining. The problem is 7 people died on a public street. Because some ones right foot was used instead of the brain.

We all like to be a show man at some point in life.. and weather it's a high dive or hot dog eatting contest who cares..

Once again the sport has another black eye. And the lawyers will have a field day with this one. It's really ashame it happened, but it did.. Don't defend who or what happend. we all make mistakes and yes some times we pay dearly for them. Tony is a nice guy and a good racer. He will suffer greatly over this. But the fact is people are dead.. God bless them and the familys. How sad.

Last edited:
He has demonstrated a complete lack of judgement to the tune of six dead. And it easily could have been twice that many.

If he ever shows up at a race that my children and I happen to be attending, we are running for the hills.
Jesus, another genious statement. I sure as hell hope nothing ever happens to you where everybody hangs you out to dry. ACCIDENT, ever heard of it?? thats what it was, they happen every day. give the guy a break.

Didn't Clay Millican do a burnout with a TOP FUEL dragster on a famous city street? Seems it was in front a rather famous house called GRACELAND.. Where were you at Garry? Why did you not jump all over Clay for that act of stupidity? I guess this means you won't be any where near Clay's pit area either?
Millican's burnout was totally straight, about 50 feet long, and he still had the audacity to lift. Imagine that. Looks like the crowd was pretty small, too.

Clay Millican

Feel free to spin it anyway you want.

Yes, tracks are dangerous places. And we take every reasonable precaution for our safety.

When an individual exhibits poor judgement to the extreme that was displayed on Saturday, sanctioning bodies and or track owners or their insurance companies, or somebody... anybody... ought to step in and prevent this individual from killing more people.
your first statement was bad, But this is insane, what color is the sky in your world?? I suppose you want to ban people who have retarded children from having kids to?? Explain your logic so we all can make sense of your statement. Why should he be banned?? did he do it on purpose?? I pray to God your children grow up with more intelligence than you!!!!

Jesus, another genious statement. I sure as hell hope nothing ever happens to you where everybody hangs you out to dry. ACCIDENT, ever heard of it?? thats what it was, they happen every day. give the guy a break.
It's "genius", dear.

If I ever kill a bunch of people doing something that assinine, feel free to hang me out to dry.

No need to belabor this point any further, Jeremy. You can say "And none have ever gone wrong", but you would be wrong.

My opinion is that anybody capable of doing something like he did should be relieved of his driver's seat on a permanent basis. Your "everybody makes mistakes" argument won't sway me one bit. We both have opinions, and they are different. I'm okay with that.

My intent is not to sway you to agree with my opinion. My intent is to get you to admit that people make mistakes, and that accidents happen, and that the two can coincide with one another.

I hope to God that if something tragic ever happens to you that you will have people who will come on the scene who will help, encourage and bring you up out of something like this instead of telling you what a worthless piece of trash you are. I hope to God Garry you never make a mistake that costs people lives. Because you will find out, just as Troy Critchley is right now how mean a "FAMILY" could be.

Did anyone see this yet? Some real misinformation in this article:

From the NY TIMES:

"The car that went out of control was approved by the National Hot Rod Association. Its driver was Troy W. Critchley of Wylie, Tex., the highway patrol said. Mr. Critchley suffered minor injuries."

"The car, a modified Corvette, was performing what is known as an exhibition burnout, in which the drivers rev the engine and spin the car’s wheels to create smoke and noise before speeding down the track, according to the company that sanctioned the race event, AMS Pro Modified Series. The exhibition was part of a three-day event that included a parade. A blocked-off road functioned as the racetrack for Saturday night’s event, held about 80 miles east of Memphis."

Last edited:
Garry,
May I suggest you avoid all forms of motorsports since the approved barriers in virtually every type of racing have proven to be insufficient at times. You may also wish to discontinue all travel since statistically your chances at being smashed into oblivion on everyday roads is far greater than your chances at being injured by any form of motorsports.

It's my opinion that emotion has gotten the best of you on this one, keeping in mind that this has happened many times before without incident.

Now can we please return to the grieving process and put our fingers down for a season on this one?

Garry,
May I suggest you avoid all forms of motorsports since the approved barriers in virtually every type of racing have proven to be insufficient at times. You may also wish to discontinue all travel since statistically your chances at being smashed into oblivion on everyday roads is far greater than your chances at being injured by any form of motorsports.

It's my opinion that emotion has gotten the best of you on this one, keeping in mind that this has happened many times before without incident.

Now can we please return to the grieving process and put our fingers down for a season on this one?
You're right, Bobby. That was an insufficient barrier issue. Grieve on.

Millican's burnout was totally straight, about 50 feet long, and he still had the audacity to lift. Imagine that. Looks like the crowd was pretty small, too.

Clay Millican

Feel free to spin it anyway you want.

#1 thanks for the link as I had never seen it.

#2 looks like a crowd watching and no barriers

#3 A top fuel car has way more power than the ProMod and could have gotten a way worse accident in much less time.

#4 no spins on this. Was just stating that others have done it. Troy's just went bad and was an ACCIDENT. "IF" nothing had gone wrong NO ONE would have been crucifying Troy and the other 4 ProMods their doing long smokey burnouts for a CHARITY. OH WAIT!! No one even mentions the other 4 cars that more than likely had intentions on doing the same thing.

Call me stupid but given the chance to stand on a city street while John Force makes an "EXHIBITION BURNOUT" even after this trajedy I'd still be there!!! This won't stop me from RACING, Going to RACES, or even going to Car Shows that feature cars doing BURNOUTS!!

Life is Dangerous BUT to live in a Bomb Shelter away from anything considered DANGEROUS just would NOT BE LIVING!!

Unfortunately, the best thing that can possibly happen is to prevent a tragedy like this from happening again.

The press and lawyers will play it like a fiddle. Those harmed will continue to be harmed and further heartbreak and penalties will follow.

What is important now is making sure we all do our best to help those people harmed to the best of our abilities, help the sanctioning bodies develop guidelines (guildeline... not iron clad rules) for participation in off track events, as the environment at each off track event will differ. We need a set of "best practices" for all racers to follow so nobody else is hurt.

Lets focus on what good can come out of this horrible accident as a tribute to those who have been harmed rather than setting the table for those who would harm our sport.

Last edited:
Many years ago John Force was on the Jay Leno show (BurbanK lot) to promote NHRA and Jay wanted to give him congrats on his success...Well Force brought one of his cars and he did a big burnout in the parking lot right thru the middle of parked cars...I for one got had a huge smile watching it but the legal dept was very upset w/ the 'what if's' and they had John feeling terrible about his stunt...The legal team thought he was gonna just start-it up....Leno dug it but it could have been a disaster...

Same deal w/ Larry Dixon on a popular L.A. morning radio show (KLOS 95.5)...The 'Snake' and team fired up their car in the parking lot but removed the coupler and driveshaft before the warm-up...Legal dept would not let them do anything til they knew for sure that car could not move under power...

A full investigation is underway and we should leave it to the authorities to completely determine what caused Troy to lose control. We are yet to hear the full story.

I am sure Troy is feeling a million times worse than he ever has in his life and would do anything to change what has happened. The last thing he needs is a bunch of people calling him names.

My heart goes out to all of those injured and killed in this tragic accident.

Paul Rogers Jr.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back