Paul Romine - NHRA Legend? (1 Viewer)

Shan

Nitro Member
I was looking through the NHRA.com Driver Mailboxes section a few days ago. The drivers are listed by class, and there's also a section called "Legends." Of course it lists the Snake, Shirley, Big Daddy and Eddie Hill to name a few. But I notice Paul Romine is also included in that list. And this isn't meant as a slight against him, but I've never heard or read anything about him that would indicate he held that status in drag racing. But I also don't know much about his history at all.
Can someone shed some light on what his history is that has earned him that distinction in drag racing or with NHRA? Is his contribution more of an off-track thing, R&D or something like that, or is it based on his driving career?

Paul Romine is a Three-time IHRA Top Fuel World Champion, Paul Romine has driven nostalgia top fuel and driven so much more... a legend? He is one hell of a driver! Glad NHRA has given him that status.

Read: MOPAR Max

Alright Dar It's killing me you gotta explain your sig !
I know it means some thing or it wouldn't be there ! I can't sleep well wondering just what the Hell's it means. LOL
Don't tell me it's just a signel for your stock broker to sell GM stock :) !

Whether or not he's a legend is debatable, but no one will question if he was a great driver and addition to the sport. Sure, he dominated the IHRA in the late 90's, but does that make him a legend? Paul was a class act in the sport and I wish him success moving forward.

I do remember not too many years ago at BIR, Paul showed up with
new Spitzer? chassis - what a cool looking piece. if i remember rite, the
body had vortises (sp?) generators and i'm sure other trick features.
I seem to recall NHRA having issues with that chassis and can't remember
if he was able to run with it at Indy two weeks later or not.

Alright Dar It's killing me you gotta explain your sig !
I know it means some thing or it wouldn't be there ! I can't sleep well wondering just what the Hell's it means. LOL
Don't tell me it's just a signel for your stock broker to sell GM stock :) !

Aparently Darr was abducted along with Riley Martin....

And does he still race IHRA now? Or does he still race at all? I don't recall seeing him at an NHRA event in a year or two at least.

I don't know what Paul's doing now, but he hasn't raced on the Senior Circut since 2003. I don't believe he's run IHRA since then either. Atleast not full time.
Hopefully someone will tell us what he's up to now days. I remember reading something about him & what he was doing on the old 'Mater, but I don't recall what he was up to.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back