Nitrogate......The Don answers! (2 Viewers)

Jim, I have learned two things in this life...

1. Oakley is a lifestyle...in fact it has now been inked on my body....

2. When you argue with dumba$$'s they will bring you down to their level...and then kick your azz with experience!

My money is on Jim.....

jOkA!:cool:

Jim, I have learned two things in this life...

1. Oakley is a lifestyle...in fact it has now been inked on my body....

2. When you argue with dumba$$'s they will bring you down to their level...and then kick your azz with experience!

My money is on Jim.....

jOkA!:cool:
So now I'm a dumba$$ because I have my own thoughts and opinions.

I used to think better of you, I guess live and learn.

So now I'm a dumba$$ because I have my own thoughts and opinions.

I used to think better of you, I guess live and learn.

Paul, I guess you do live and learn....as I felt differently about you as well....I guess I lived and learned too.

My whole problem with this chit is you do not run nitro.....you are not a sponsor.....yes you are entitled to your opinions...well I retract that I feel everyone is entitled to an opinion if it directly affects them....again you DO NOT RUN NITRO.....NOR ARE YOU A SPONSOR!

To call out JJ....dood that was just wrong and an apology to Jim is in order.

You don't like me anymore?.....Water off a duck's back my man...

KEVIN BROWN

Actually Mr. Jannard, I have already stated my concerns. I do not think that the nitro in question was used, but I do think it violated NHRA rules by having that nitro in the transporters.

And to me, the test of whether it was legal or not is if it can be used during a national event.

If it can, then no problem, but if it can't then to me it is violating the storage clause in the rules.

Every report I have seen from DSR clearly made the distinction that it was not used. Why?

Paul... I think the answer is that the fuels could have been used in a National event. But they were upstairs in a transporter when this all came down. The fuel was sold to Wego. Wego is an authorized supplier to the NHRA. Do you have more info than I do? If you are calling DSR and Oakley cheaters then maybe a PM is in order...

Jim

Last edited:
Paul... I think the answer is that the fuels could have been used in a National event. But they were upstairs in a transporter when this all came down. The fuel was sold to Wego. Wego is an authorized supplier to the NHRA. Do you have more info than I do?

Jim
So if you are saying Pro Nitro is an accepted nitro at national events then the fuel is legal and the storage clause doesn't pertain and the fine should be rescinded and NHRA and I are both wrong.

popcorn2.gif

That's some fine popcorn John, thanks for bringing it :p;)

So if you are saying Pro Nitro is an accepted nitro at national events then the fuel is legal and the storage clause doesn't pertain and the fine should be rescinded and NHRA and I are both wrong.

I am absolutely saying that Wego fuel (who Don sold the fuel to) is legal and the NHRA should rescind the fines...

Jim

I am absolutely saying that Wego fuel (who Don sold the fuel to) is legal and the NHRA should rescind the fines...

Jim
Mr. Jannard, with all due respect, that is not what I asked.

To me, whomever had possession would need to be the approved supplier. In many states, possession infers ownership. I have sold many things before but until the buyer takes ownership, I am responsible for the sold item.

Not trying to belittle anyone but as a front runner team with targets on their backs, DSR should have seen something like this coming. Dotting your i's and crossing your t's should be the norm. Maybe it is the norm with DSR, but they sure missed this one.

Mr. Jannard, with all due respect, that is not what I asked.

To me, whomever had possession would need to be the approved supplier. In many states, possession infers ownership. I have sold many things before but until the buyer takes ownership, I am responsible for the sold item.

Not trying to belittle anyone but as a front runner team with targets on their backs, DSR should have seen something like this coming. Dotting your i's and crossing your t's should be the norm. Maybe it is the norm with DSR, but they sure missed this one.

Paul... sorry, but missed what? With all due respect, Don sold the Pro Nitro fuel to Wego. Wego is an approved NHRA vendor of nitromethane. That fuel was carried in the trailer of DSR. It appears like Don did everything by the rules. Then he (and his sponsors) was trashed. For what? Carrying this in his trailer?

I just don't see the problem here. And to fine him (and all of his sponsors) in front of God and everyone on ESPN is incredible.

The fact that you are even questioning this demonstrates the damage done.

Jim

to fine him (and all of his sponsors) in front of God and everyone on ESPN is incredible.

This is really the key point. If NHRA had handled it correctly, it would've been handled behind closed doors, DSR could've made their case, etc. If we had heard about it at all it would've been days later, in a press release likely buried on page 23. Instead Mr. Light came out like the sheriff, guns blazing, on national TV. Ugh.

This is really the key point. If NHRA had handled it correctly, it would've been handled behind closed doors, DSR could've made their case, etc. If we had heard about it at all it would've been days later, in a press release likely buried on page 23. Instead Mr. Light came out like the sheriff, guns blazing, on national TV. Ugh.

Christopher - You hit the nail on the head. This is bad business on NHRA's side.

Paul - As for calling out the Jim Jannard, Get a clue! Show some respect for one of the biggest backers in the sport. AND a guy who knows what he speaks of. It is comments like this that drive people who KNOW away.

Joker - You need to make the picture of your new ink your avitar...

Lastly, IF DSR were going to "cheat", why the hell would they do it with nitro. I am certain that the best or second best brain trust in our sport could come up with a better way. Look at the innovator leading the charge, AJ, I dont think they need to.

Bingo. Like I said, spirit of the rules vs the letter of them. Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to get Don in private, hear his explanation of this, figure out that he wasn't violating the SPIRIT of the rules, tell him "Don't do that again or get permission from us ahead of time if you want to" and go the hell on? Do you think NHRA wishes by now that they'd done that?

Wouldn't that scenario have been a little better than rushing to announce a $100,000 fine?

If Don sold the fuel to Wego who is a approved nitro dealer and then bought it back from them, what the hell is the problem? Paul, thats Jim and Don's point. Was it illegal before he sold it to them? Yes (Though Don does say Pro Nitro is excepted now which if it is I dont understand this deal at all but anyways). But once he sold it to them and bought it back from them, hence it came from Wego, its legal. End of story. This is just a big ass mess and NHRA handled it about as badly as they could. Then to put out the story on it with the headlines they did makes it sound like they were caught using illegal fuel, thus cheating. I am far from a Don Shoe fan but I think he's getting screwed.

Any idea on how the "officials" at NHRA found out about the 4 drums that were upstairs in a transport trailer?Sounds like someone must have tipped them off.

Let me try to give everyone the facts.
1. NHRA came to my pits Saturday afternoon and was shown 4 drums of nitro in the upstairs storage area in one of my race trailers.
2. Sunday morning they gave me a letter notifying me of a $100,000 fine.
3. In January all of the nitro DSR/ProNitro had in the US was transfered/sold to Wego. This included 1 container in California and the product in Las Vegas.
4. The container in California was moved to VP in Texas and then used at the Phoenix NHRA race and Gainesville race. The drums in Vegas stayed in Vegas.
5. NHRA told me prior to Gainesville and in Gainesville that my nitro ProNitro was now legal in NHRA.
6. NHRA's rules state we must use nitro from an approved supplier at all NHRA races. In NHRA's rules it states the approved suppliers of nitro are Dow-Angus and Wego.
7. DSR is Top Lined Screened with The Department of Home Land Security in Brownsburg Indiana and at every NHRA national event and has the numbers and documents to demonstrate that. This means we can have more then 400# of nitro in our possession in our pits.
8. The nitro we had in Vegas was from Wego a approved supplier of nitro.
9. VP is a distributor of nitro and I do not find anywhere in the NHRA rule book that all nitro must be distributed by VP. VP was the exclusive distributer of nitro for Wego and Dow-Angus prior to both companies deciding they were no longer doing business with VP in 2008.
10. I would never risk the reputation of my sponsors or employees by cheating.
11. If we did anything wrong it was a total accident and I apologize for any possible reflection on anyone in my organization sponsor or employee and I take full responsibility.
12. I believe there is a mistake in the actions taken and hope this event will get put behind NHRA and DSR soon.

Don Schumacher

Since NHRA wants to follow Nascar so closely they can save face and rescind the fine; ie. Nascar/Robbie Gordon. No foul intended, honest mistake.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back