Nitro limitations (1 Viewer)

That would certainly be true. Sure was easier in the "good ole days"!

Jerry, Randy was Certifiedlast year......not my fault......LOL!

I understand the strain it puts on the racers, and that sucks.

But being from OKC, and and having had my wife working down the street from that building, and knowing people that were in that building, I don't care if they are asking for DNA from people to help track it, you won't hear any complaints from me.

I guess it all depends upon your viewpoint.

I am also from OKC. My wife missed being in the blast (drove by and saw the ryder truck) by 2 minutes. the windows in my daughters school were blown in, my nephews business had the doors blown off etc. I say all of this so you'll know from where I speak.

All of that aside it could happen anywhere and there is so many other chemicals which are much easier to obtain and just as powerful.

This regulation 12 years later is a bit..should I say STUPID so I won't get censored. Its a typical government reacton by a government buracrat and it contributes to the disatisfaction that many feel aboout the government. That disatisfaction is part of the reason that McVeigh acted in such a stupid manner.

Its a very unnecssary and much delayed action and will only cause a problem for those who have a legimate need for it.

That's my viewpoint.

There is talk that the U.S. government may only allow nitro to be transported in 40 gallon drums,as the Homeland Security folks say that nitro is on their list of bad stuff for making weapons.

Well, thanks to the federal government, I guess we're all safe. :)

Unless, of course, the terrorists figure out to buy TWO or MORE drums? :eek:

This all reminds me of when I was in the Flying J Truckstop in Wytheville, VA a couple or so years ago. A driver was asking if he could drop his trailer for a few hours so he could go get some work done on his tractor. The woman behind the fuel desk said "No, not since the new terrorism/9-11 laws.

I said "Well, there you go. The terrorists have now won." I then asked the woman "If terrorists had a trailer with a bomb or something else that was dangerous, would they come in and ASK before they dropped it? Now you're only hurting the little guy."

Last edited:
I understand the strain it puts on the racers, and that sucks.

But being from OKC, and and having had my wife working down the street from that building, and knowing people that were in that building, I don't care if they are asking for DNA from people to help track it, you won't hear any complaints from me.

I guess it all depends upon your viewpoint.

AMEN! I have 2 aunts that weren't there only by grace of God. Both of them were supposed to be, but....well they weren't and why matters not. I'm just grateful!

AMEN! I have 2 aunts that weren't there only by grace of God. Both of them were supposed to be, but....well they weren't and why matters not. I'm just grateful!
And like I asked earlier, if it had been diesel fuel instead of nitro would you feel the same?

It wouldn't matter if it were a million M-5000 fireworks. The emotions of that day are surreal for anyone with OKC ties.
Emotions shouldn't be used to make decisions, logic should. I remember watching it on TV within minutes after it happened and I have read numerous articles in the years since about others that might have been involved. The fact remains that if they'd used diesel instead of nitromethane the results would have been the same. So, if that was the case would you now be pushing for the same restrictions on diesel fuel? If the answer is no then the answer should also be no for nitromethane. The emotions of me nearly killing a woman on a John Deere Gator after she pulled out in front of me a few years ago were surreal too, but I didn't think restrictions should be placed on them.

Last edited:
And like I asked earlier, if it had been diesel fuel instead of nitro would you feel the same?

Weren't the diesel fuel and fertilizer THE main blast components? I've heard that the nitro would have actually added little or nothing.

I remember a neighbor of McVeigh's being interviewed who said he was constantly testing homemade explosives on his property. He said McVeigh told him he learned in the military that the most powerful explosions come from combining materials that are normally inert on their own.

It was my last day at the FAA academy on OKC. We were packing up our personal items to leave the schoolhouse the bomb went off. The academy is 5 miles away and it rocked the building that I was in. One of the students had a scanner and the description of the first on scene was terrible! The airport was on lock down in 30 minutes.

Talked to Jack Beckman tonight, here's how it works. VP delivers each team a 55 gal drum (bar coded and serialized) with only 42 gals (400 lbs) of nitro in it. Tonight, they were coming around, pit by pit, gathering up the drums, and loading it into VP's trailer. They are a registered carrier with Homeland Security. At Phoenix, they will deliver that exact same drum back to your pit. When you need more, they will come and bring you a new drum.

It's a royal pain. The teams all hate it.

Talked to Jack Beckman tonight, here's how it works. VP delivers each team a 55 gal drum (bar coded and serialized) with only 42 gals (400 lbs) of nitro in it. Tonight, they were coming around, pit by pit, gathering up the drums, and loading it into VP's trailer. They are a registered carrier with Homeland Security. At Phoenix, they will deliver that exact same drum back to your pit. When you need more, they will come and bring you a new drum.

I have seen allot of information and guidence via third party. Has anyone quoted a regulation? All gov departments have to work to regulations, even the DHS.

I think it would be funny if the teams started returning drums with only 2 or 3 gallons in them so they'd have to drag around a bunch of nearly empty drums to the next race. :D

What is the provision for testing?

I know we've discussed the handling at NHRA races.
Doesn't Torco also carry nitro? I haven't heart anything on their method of handling.
Is it any different?
Lee
Nitroclovers

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back