NHRA Survey (1 Viewer)

^ This is the reason that I believe qualifying position should be determined by the average of the qualifying attempts collectively

Next time that you watch a race and lets say in the first round the number 1 qualfier in FC goes a normal 3.95 at 320 and the guy he beats goes 4.20 at 290mph. Are you telling me that these 2 look the same to anybody? Then think about that fairly average 3.95 is around a 4.65 in the 1/4 mile. What you are going to see with a 300mph max speed in FC in the 1/4 mile is more like a 4.90-5.10 1/4 mile time which would equate to a 4.20-4.40 1000' time. Nobody is going to have the Top End Charge cause they are going to be on the rev limiter by 1/2 track so unless the blower belt falls off or something catastophic happens, whoever is winning at 1/2 track will be winning at the 1/4 mile cause they are not going to have enough power to smoke the tires anymore! Then what do you do next? Slow all the Alcohol guys/girls down? It's a slippery slope to slow them down and go back to a 1/4 mile. IMO I like it the way it is now, quick and fast and super close racing, but as any other racer would say, if they end up going back to a 1/4 mile, we will still drive them.

^ This is the reason that I believe qualifying position should be determined by the average of the qualifying attempts collectively
You must not want the independent or small teams to qualify, because in your scenario they would have to make every run to get a good qualifying spot (and most don't have the parts/dollars and personel to make that happen). What happens if the team that is number 1 qualifier can't make one of the sessions cause he blew his car up too bad to safely get it fixed for the next qualifier. Does he get bumped out of the show? What time do they get for missing a session to work out your "average" ET?

^Take the best 2 or 3 out of their total number of attempts?
It's not as much of a deal right now with marginal car counts, but you are only going to lose independents if you mandate how many runs they have to make. Also you know those heroics of the team thats not qualified going onto Q4, coming up with a big run to qualify, probably not going to happen in your scenario. It's an idea, but IMO not a way to grow or make the sport any better.

I took the survey and you are dang tootin" I checked the 1320 distance. Rated Pro Mod and Mountain Motor Pro stock over Pro Stock. As a geezer, in my view I sure can tell the diff between 330 and 300. I want the races longer, give somebody and chance to drive around another car. Of course with a cost cutting changes. When I attended the strips in the early 60s', the 70's, then the 80s' and so on, records were cool to be broken. Now I just want good racing, quarter mile style.

[email protected] best in Saturday night nitro racing on the quarter mile-epic!!

We are all part of the problem, that's the thing. we want this, but are willing to walk or go a different direction if they do that.

NHRA is between a rock and a hard place, and I hate to call them out here. Because it is not all their fault.

They have no control over lodging and flights muchless the payroll and benefits and machinery these teams have now. Increase the purses. oh, you're going broke, well hell... 1320 will not change that.
I understand no one thought this sport would become what it has, no one sat back and just observed the direction the ship has been on. - rocks!!

However,,, I think the point that many are missing here is, it's not (either, or!) ... It's a unnamed number of events, say 14. The other 10 or ? will require a completely different combination including perhaps the entire car.

How can any team afford to run both distances, or keep up with those who do ... 320' is a substantial number when talking about a fuel car for zero gain. zero
I don't see at this point and time to make such a drastic change as this (a mix of both) with little to no warning and no input yet, which has to be followed by many many meetings and testing-testing-testing along with solid facts and then what about 3 years down the road or 10, 20.

I don't have the answer, but it's apparent NHRA doesn't either. I'm not even sure anyone has had time to digest all this yet, muchless come up with plans.

Knowing exactly what it is that they are trying to do would be a great place to start. Even before announcing it to the world and then sending out surveys. Did anyone get a survey on bringing the win light back during qualifying? That's the excuse they gave for turning it back on. The fans wanted or demanded it they said. I thought it was a ridiculous idea to begin with. But I see that excuse being used again to get whatever it is they are after with this.

I'm sorry if I come off as a loose cannon, I'm just trying to understand this without a program and scorecard or scribble notes.

This is just horseradish IMO.

Is this a major motorsport organization or not.

Last edited:
Friday night qualifying should not count towards qualifying position.
I think they should have a night session both days. The argument that crews work too late seems silly to me. Just shift the times so they can sleep in a bit longer. I don't think casual fans want to hang out all day. Promote a quick 3 or 4 hour afternoon pro qualifying show and I bet they will be more likely to return.

So you're saying that the tuners can't figure out how to get from A to B?

The goal is to get to the finish line first, I'm betting that they figure it out. And for the record, the occasional pedal fest is fine with me.
Maybe,maybe not,alot are going to push it and prob smoke em,maybe one car get down the track?? I guess im old school,prep the hell out of the track and run em. Id rather see a fast full pull than a pedal fest. And yes id like the 1320 not 1000. Some of you wimps prob wanna go to 1/8 mile lol

Chicago 2020 (fill in fav track with good lighting) - Qualify Friday, Eliminations Saturday night, start the hype now. Hasn't this been done before? I thought St Louis had scheduled eliminations at night in the past during the hot summertime?

Any fuel race that's close at 1000' (~car length) would not be unreasonable to have different outcome at 1320 - groove, spin, center line, belt, etc. When did the NHRA start using spray traction compound and when did they start using it all the way down track or were they just spraying a lot more, till they recently backed off somewhat?

Sat night elims would be the best, as long as there are no noise laws. I'd run Q sessions Friday night, race Sat. With the quick turn around times, you could run the race and be done by 11 PM. This would work well in the hot temps time of the year. Spectators would love it, cuz of flames and not frying in the heat. Sun could be used as a back up day in case of rain.

Why do you say this? Usually Friday night sets most of the ladder depending on when they are running Saturday.
Because it’s rarely indicative of ur actual Sunday racing conditions. It’s like a throw away. Yes they all have the same chance to do well. But the numbers aren’t relevant to what you can actually do on Sunday

Friday night qualifying should not count towards qualifying position.

Ken,
Do you know why Friday night qualifying started? I believe from reading your posts you have been around long enough to know.
Not picking on you, just asking if you remember why it started in the first place.

Alan

Ken,
Do you know why Friday night qualifying started? I believe from reading your posts you have been around long enough to know.
Not picking on you, just asking if you remember why it started in the first place.

Alan

Actually I do not recall, why?? and yes I have been following drag racing since early 70's, I have pictures of Bunny Burkett at E town in her FC. E town was the local big track, Hamptons was the closet track. I remember being about 10? and at E town, Kenny Bernstein invited me into his pits and let me hold the air hose into the tank to mix the nitro. Lucky for me my Dad would drive 2-3 hours in traffic so I could see the cars.

They used to run Q1 on Thursday and Q2 Friday, then two sessions Saturday to set the field. Many of the racers were businessmen who didn't like the extra day away. I remember when the Kalitta's wouldn't even fly in until Friday Morning and Ed McCulloch would drive the cars Thursday for testing then they would take those runs off the sheet and the Kalitta's would qualify on the other three runs.

The racers lobbied NHRA to change the schedule to save them that extra day and the trade off was Friday evening qualifying. For a time many tracks would have a half price ticket starting at 5 PM so fans could catch the Friday Night show. We now do Friday Night Prime Time again, making a show of it. The fans like it, and we have some fun with it. Friday Night qualifying is special.

My point being if Friday Night qualifying didn't count, the racers wouldn't run it. Why waste the time and money to make a run that doesn't count? There will always be a session that is better then the others, there was a time (maybe St. Louis) when a front came through and Larry Dixon got bumped from #1 to out of the field because the conditions were that much better. It was Saturday afternoon. Would you not count that because conditions changed?

Alan

My point being if Friday Night qualifying didn't count, the racers wouldn't run it. Why waste the time and money to make a run that doesn't count? There will always be a session that is better then the others, there was a time (maybe St. Louis) when a front came through and Larry Dixon got bumped from #1 to out of the field because the conditions were that much better. It was Saturday afternoon. Would you not count that because conditions changed?

Alan

As you would say not arguing but using this logic when 15 cars show up why does any team bother running ?
set the ladder off of points position, thats about 40K in savings right?
A front coming thru is a lot different than summer racing when track temp go from 135 to 90 at night because it is night time.

Because the fans paid to see the show, because the sponsor wants his car out there, because qualifying points are up for grabs, because you can learn something that will help you somewhere down the road, and most important of all: Because they are RACERS! And racers race.

And while a front coming through might not be a scheduled event, the effect is the same, better conditions for a session then the others. The racers all know it, and they act accordingly.

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back