Drag racing in my back yard....... (1 Viewer)

So the really do cover part of e stands to make it look like a full house. Was the right side open at all?

No Jay, if they are to use that grandstand - one of the landing strips must be closed at Bracket Field across the street, Per FAA Safety Regulation. Small planes and jets fly in over the pits all day and into the evening.

That grandstand only holds about 4 to 5,000 and apparently the red tape involved to use that seating is not worth the hassle. It has not been used for eight or ten years.

Last edited:
During the semis the stands looked pack to me, everyone was on they're feet cheering us as we towed Shirley's 77 world champoinship winning dragster down the return road.

BTW the seats that are empty are the general admission cheep seats, very limited access to any food or bathrooms and yes I mean bathroom, also no beer and most of the day you are staring into the worm So Cal Sun, the reason two sets of stands at the end of the track are covered is because Airplanes are landing over it during the event, and besides they are past the 1/4 mile finish line and just never was a good place to veiw the track, plus the big TV screen is out of veiw from there, the score boards are hard to see.

I saw the biggest crowd I have seen at Pomona in several years, if you didn't go, you really missed out.

Last edited:
Yep, it's really sad that nobody showed up at Pomona Raceway for the World Finals yesterday. :eek:

1452156_10151957929528350_1299789724_n.jpg
Yeah Darr ... it is easy to make that point when you shoot a ground level photo that pans down along the crowd (nice use of a marketing gimic). The TV cameras, and other photogs shooting across the track all day showed a much different (real) perspective. There was large open slugs of shiny aluminum everywhere on both sides of the track and at all distances down the track.

Your photo defends your position ... it just doesn't portray the reality.

I counter with this one ....
http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-race/gallery-2013/nhra/gallery-2013/nhra/24-aaa-auto-club-finals/sunday/top-fuel/dsd2347-723821#joomimg

I think if you watch the TV footage you might see a much different view, or not.

It was a good crowd for Nhra and the fans that love Nhra drag racing...but it was not such a good crowd for the ones that want to see the demise of Nhra.

No Jay, if they are to use that grandstand - one of the landing strips must be closed at Bracket Field across the street, Per FAA Safety Regulation. Small planes and jets fly in over the pits all day and into the evening.

That grandstand only holds about 4 to 5,000 and apparently the red tape involved to use that seating is not worth the hassle. It has not been used for eight or ten years.

Eight or ten years ago it must have been worth the hassle (As in they needed the room). Might this be clear evidence that the sport was more popular eight or ten years ago? Unless they passed legilation in the past 10 years that made the red tape harder to cut.

Eight or ten years ago it must have been worth the hassle (As in they needed the room). Might this be clear evidence that the sport was more popular eight or ten years ago? Unless they passed legilation in the past 10 years that made the red tape harder to cut.

I heard it was an FAA/Homeland Security issue, don't know for sure, but really don't care. It'll be gone soon.

Yeah Darr ... it is easy to make that point when you shoot a ground level photo that pans down along the crowd (nice use of a marketing gimic). The TV cameras, and other photogs shooting across the track all day showed a much different (real) perspective. There was large open slugs of shiny aluminum everywhere on both sides of the track and at all distances down the track.

Your photo defends your position ... it just doesn't portray the reality.

I counter with this one ....
Competition Plus - Drag Racing Magazine - Gallery - Category: Top Fuel - Image: DSD_2347

I think if you watch the TV footage you might see a much different view, or not.

Good observation, Jim.

I was looking at those pictures and noticed that there is a distinct time of day difference (based on the sun position) from the LODRS finals to the pro finals, and there is not all the big of a difference in the amount of fans sitting in that first section. I'd expect that during .90 classes and Stock, Super Stock and Comp, but not during Alky or pro cars. Perhaps a sign that the more casual fan, just wanting the hits of the nitro cars, really aren't coming out, and it's the more invested, real "racing" fans (don't cut me up for that, it's not a slight) wanting to watch the race unfold, that are still attending.

Word at the track is they are moving the covered grand stands to the other AAA dragstrip, Fontana, which is in the process of building the sound wall so they can re-open sometime in 2014, could be as early as May.
I thought the stands were more filled than the last few years, love to hear the spectator count.

Jon Hansen, Hayden Wheels, and Jr FUEL Dragster Association

...Irwindale scheduled to close at the end of next year and become a Wal Mart)
Oh wow! I had not heard that. Wow, that is sad. Although I am not into 1/8th mile racing, Irwindale was a last resort for many racers.

Probably wish you went to Pomona after the performance by the 49ers.
No, I am glad I went one last time to Candlestick Park before the team leaves at the end of this season. It was a blast but yes, we did lose and losing sucks.
6567016.jpg

6567080.jpg

His 49ers didn't do bad, but my Panthers did just a little better.
My Niners currently have some problems. lol.

So being a Capps fan you must hate the way every season ends in funny car! :p
I ain't gonna lie, I do want to see him win the championship and hate it when JFR wins. Remember a long time ago someone had the screen name "anyone but WJ"? I'd be "anyone but JFR."
Registered member said:
Here's a crying towel for you.
Thanks man. lol I need it. :eek:

Last edited:
Well Pomona is here and I have no desire to attend a race that is only a 10 min drive from my house, Yes the speeds are awesome and the smell of nitro is intoxicating. I have lived here for 30 years and attended both Pomona races every year(among other tracks like Vegas and Phoenix) like clock work. I love drag racing.......or should I say what NHRA drag racing use to be.

The economy hasn't affected my love of drag racing just what the NHRA has done to it.

Next week I will be driving 300 miles to attend the SCSN in Vegas for ALL FOUR DAYS to see some 1/4 mile racing and badass door slammers. ;)

I know Im not the only one feeling this way. :rolleyes:

So you saying you have never attended a 1000' race?

I would love to live down the road from Pomona or any other track over there. You guys really don't know how good you have it. You have the best drag racing/ drag racers in the world, get out there and enjoy it!!!!

But see your wrong Darren, to most here "Real" Drag racing ended in 1990!

When you hit double letters climbing up to the top, you may have too many rows.

Pomona, because of the airport, has empty (tarped off) top end stands, so you're right- just eliminate them, since, supposedly, the FAA has told NHRA they can't have spectators in them, and the airport is gonna be there for a while...;)

No reason to have reserved seating and then sell 40% of them on a regular basis- either cut 10 rows off the top or 5 off the bottom.

It is NOT because of the Airport, it's because they can't sell 1200' seats for 1000' Fuel racing! I've got pics from 2008-09 to prove it!

He is correct they were open in 2008 I was sitting there at the end of the day to watch final rounds and get a jump on the foot traffic.

He is correct they were open in 2008 I was sitting there at the end of the day to watch final rounds and get a jump on the foot traffic.

I know... I was at 1200' for P1 2008... 2009- I remember being pissed that I couldn't sit down there. Can't remember if that was P1 or P2 (I was at both)

I remember when Pomona was so jammed that you had to sit past the finish line to watch nitro cars and they already had the laundry out when they came by.

Did they have the seating on the right side open this year?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back