Drag racing in my back yard....... (1 Viewer)

My son and I will be able to say we saw manzo's last race live. The alky cars have been awesome this weekend. I spent a lot of money and flew 3000 miles to be here this weekend and it's been worth every mile and every penny. I can't wait to do this with my youngest son in a few years.

And you got to see him go out on top!! Glad you and your son had an awesome weekend. You definitely got to see something special. :)

But...is it because 3 of the 4 categories have already crowned their champions? No drama...wishing I was there to see Manzo's last runs.

This is the result of courting the fickled twitter-facebook-drama queen-home and garden crowd. Sure, on paper, numbers and enthusiasm looks great. Hasn't translated to a stronger, healthier NHRA. I fast-forward 70% of the espn2 "coverage" because it's not racing. I attended every Pomona race for years, dragging friends on Thursdays to expose newbies on the cheap. Before all this copycat stuff (NHRA execs see NASCAR as THE template, failing to see the two are as different as any racing can be), the crowds were strong, and it never mattered if the Winston points were sewn-up or not, it was a NATIONAL EVENT!!!! Remember when those, in themselves, were quite the big deal? Now it's just another after another, watered down until it feels like if you don't win five in a year, you're really not doing well.

Ive traveled to pomona from NY 3 or 4 times. loved it every time. If i lived close by i'd be there today to watch manzo and the tight fast racing that went on. Sorry you feel that disappointed in nhra to stay away. To me it seem crazy but everyone is entitled to his opinion.
And Micheal i know if you lived that close you would be there every day!!

NHRA just needs to invest in smaller grandstands....;)

Or just remove the ones they aren't using (covered with tarps). That is what they are doing at Daytona, they have removed the entire grandstand from the back stretch, the 500 in February will have 40,000 less seats to sell and everyone will be sitting in the main grandstand.

When you hit double letters climbing up to the top, you may have too many rows.

Pomona, because of the airport, has empty (tarped off) top end stands, so you're right- just eliminate them, since, supposedly, the FAA has told NHRA they can't have spectators in them, and the airport is gonna be there for a while...;)

No reason to have reserved seating and then sell 40% of them on a regular basis- either cut 10 rows off the top or 5 off the bottom.

I have been here all week and it has been some great racing with a great crowd. So some of you that want to portray it differently...go ahead, but you won't convince me.

I have been here all week and it has been some great racing with a great crowd. So some of you that want to portray it differently...go ahead, but you won't convince me.

Optical data, Eugene... Yeah- the racing was phenomenal, and the fans there responded in kind. BUT, the video doesn't lie- grandstands on the pit side at 60-70% during nitro, and you know what happens once the carb cars come up... Seriously, just take down the gargantuan stands only used for two events a year and when the camera pans past the newly reconfigured, PACKED grandstands on the tele for Pomona opener in 90 days, and the commentators talk about how the crowd is fantastic, they will have pictures to match the audio and crowd enthusiasm...

What I find funny is people watching the stands and NOT the cars (and bikes) running down the track... started watching on the 'puter this afternoon, shut it off just before the semis... fix my lunch/dinner, and watch the wholeESPN2 coverage this evening...

The Parking Lot is the only So-Cal track I never went to... County, 'Dale, The Beach, Carlsbad once, The Patch, Fremont(okay,thats The Bay Area)... Going to shoot for Maple Grove and Bristol out here next season...

Y'all have a good off season... and don't forget W F O...

d'kid

Blame it on slo-mo cam...

You can only watch so much noodling on engines idling at the starting line for so long, kid... :D

Have a great off season, buddy and stay healthy, willya?!!

Last edited:
Sorry, was doing dishes before Kat gets home from work... Dirty kitchen means I'm on her S/L until Jan 12th (34 years... having fun yet???)

Doctor free until My birthday next year(9/11) THE BIG SIX ZERO... my major prob is talking and lifting.... right side at worth a chigger... they took most the shoulder muscle and can only raise the arm about 40 degrees... and I'm right handed... but hey, my printing is almost readable (think doctors)... worst thing is old-timers... somethings I forget what I'm doing...

more later... lost the train again...:eek:

d'kid

Sorry I guess I didnt make my self perfectly clear on why I wont attend a NHRA event in my back yard.

I could go on and on with what I think is wrong with the NHRA but its all been said before and it would be a really long list.

As for the ones that dont live in the birth place of drag racing.....it isnt all that, we dont have local tracks that we can run anytime we want cus they have all been closed down and its dying a very slow death here in sunny So. Cal. (Fontana currently closed with no definite date to reopen........Irwindale scheduled to close at the end of next year and become a Wal Mart)

The PSCA has what I want good old fashion 1/4 mile racing with cars that resemble the ones on the street sitting at a stop light. Ok the speeds are not as fast and there is no nitro but its heads up racing without delay boxes and all the BS of the big show and canned interviews from the same motor mouths every week. It has real looking cars that the average Joe can relate to.......with some awesome speeds to boot......Its what NHRA was when I first went to my first race and I love it.

My post was meant to show all the folks out there saying that the switch from 1/4 mile to 1k or the crap down wasn't the reason attendance is in a decline and want to blame the economy.....well its not the reason I stopped going.

Probably wish you went to Pomona after the performance by the 49ers.

It was a good game. His 49ers didn't do bad, but my Panthers did just a little better.

Closest thing today to drag racing in the 60's is test and tune night at the local tracks. A lot of "run what you brung", no rules, first to the finish line wins. Quite a variety of machines and many ways to accomplish the same thing, a quick et and thrilling mph.

As far as the big show, ticket prices are really quite a bargain considering the amount of classes and number of entries in each that you get to see. Something for everyone, which is how drag racing started. Whether you go or not is a personal decision, along with your reasons.

Last edited:
I personally agree with Michael 100% ... I to look at the events as a whole, all categories.

BUT, watching on ESPN3 right now, I'd say the paying spectators may agree with Steve (who started this thread). Both side stands are VERY empty. Do not care how many people are standing at the fence. Today there is a very poor crowd. Cross track shots during burnouts show tons of aluminum empty spaces.

Jim,
Sad to say, but I noticed the same thing. A lot of empty space in the stands and there was a large portion of grandstand covered and unused at the top end. As a long time NHRA fan I hate to see that. Plenty of discussion as to why, but the sad fact remains that attendance is way down.

Yep, it's really sad that nobody showed up at Pomona Raceway for the World Finals yesterday. :eek:

1452156_10151957929528350_1299789724_n.jpg

So the really do cover part of e stands to make it look like a full house. Was the right side open at all?

Jay I wasn't there, but the very end of the track on the pits side has been off-limits for quite awhile due to the nearby airport.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back