Drag racing in my back yard....... (1 Viewer)

Cymon Sez

Nitro Member
Well Pomona is here and I have no desire to attend a race that is only a 10 min drive from my house, Yes the speeds are awesome and the smell of nitro is intoxicating. I have lived here for 30 years and attended both Pomona races every year(among other tracks like Vegas and Phoenix) like clock work. I love drag racing.......or should I say what NHRA drag racing use to be.

The economy hasn't affected my love of drag racing just what the NHRA has done to it.

Next week I will be driving 300 miles to attend the SCSN in Vegas for ALL FOUR DAYS to see some 1/4 mile racing and badass door slammers. ;)

I know Im not the only one feeling this way. :rolleyes:

I didn't make the 3 hour drive because I didn't like the way funny car ended this year. Instead, I'm driving 6 hours to a much more expensive 49ers game. Go Niners!!!!

Man Pablo ... You are taking this Funny Car business hard. Sorry to hear it is keeping you away from that parking lot at Fairplex. I hope to see you at the Winters!

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I know if I lived that close to Pomona, I'd be there. Most of the banter on this site is about all of drag racing's problems, and there are many. But for me, the sport is still full of racers who committ everything that they have to be out there mixing it up, and they put on a hell of a show. I've participated in many threads about what needs to be done, but I'm not going to stay away until they happen. Even if nothing changes, I still love it, and choose to enjoy what's happening today vs. lamenting about "how it used to be". Looks like the Finals are enjoying big car counts and super fast times (alky FCs running 5.50s like they're free), I for one wish I could be there.

I would love to live down the road from Pomona or any other track over there. You guys really don't know how good you have it. You have the best drag racing/ drag racers in the world, get out there and enjoy it!!!!

I would love to live down the road from Pomona or any other track over there. You guys really don't know how good you have it. You have the best drag racing/ drag racers in the world, get out there and enjoy it!!!!

I packed my bags at 18 and left the Wi winter to attend in 85. Because at 18 I could do whatever I wanted. Jerry and Darrell Gywnn gave me a ride to the track from the coffee house. They were courting the move to top fuel. Class poeple!

Last edited:
So, whilst you guys were having a cry... You missed the quickest TAFC field in history. Frank Manzo, a legend of the sport racing in his last ever event. TF field tight as ever, same goes for FC. Strong runs in TAD from Whitely, Severance, Demke and company. Pro Stock title up for grabs. A lot of good racing going on!! But because of track distance and how a championship ended you don't care for good racing. Makes perfect sense.

So, whilst you guys were having a cry... You missed the quickest TAFC field in history. Frank Manzo, a legend of the sport racing in his last ever event. TF field tight as ever, same goes for FC. Strong runs in TAD from Whitely, Severance, Demke and company. Pro Stock title up for grabs. A lot of good racing going on!! But because of track distance and how a championship ended you don't care for good racing. Makes perfect sense.

My new favorite post I've ever read on this board.

I agree Andy and Michael, lame excuses for not going. Too many people rag on the NHRA, yet I certainly don't see anything better out there in the professional ranks. It has become an eliteist sport but what isn't. It is still entertaining. There is way to much negativity for sure.

Yes SCSN will be good, but it still does not compare to this weekend.

Dean

My son and I will be able to say we saw manzo's last race live. The alky cars have been awesome this weekend. I spent a lot of money and flew 3000 miles to be here this weekend and it's been worth every mile and every penny. I can't wait to do this with my youngest son in a few years.

I personally agree with Michael 100% ... I to look at the events as a whole, all categories.

BUT, watching on ESPN3 right now, I'd say the paying spectators may agree with Steve (who started this thread). Both side stands are VERY empty. Do not care how many people are standing at the fence. Today there is a very poor crowd. Cross track shots during burnouts show tons of aluminum empty spaces.

I personally agree with Michael 100% ... I to look at the events as a whole, all categories.

BUT, watching on ESPN3 right now, I'd say the paying spectators may agree with Steve (who started this thread). Both side stands are VERY empty. Do not care how many people are standing at the fence. Today there is a very poor crowd. Cross track shots during burnouts show tons of aluminum empty spaces.

But...is it because 3 of the 4 categories have already crowned their champions? No drama...wishing I was there to see Manzo's last runs.

it is on the same kind of subject.... did anyone hear what Warren Johnson's comments on the qualifying show from Pomona?

I"m paraphrasing somewhat here, but WJ said his 2014 plans are in the air not only due to costs of a pro stock car ($250,000 in read end housings, $200,000 in valve springs, etc) as well as the weaning support in the stands and the current format of things in the nhra.

Last edited:
My son and I will be able to say we saw manzo's last race live. The alky cars have been awesome this weekend. I spent a lot of money and flew 3000 miles to be here this weekend and it's been worth every mile and every penny. I can't wait to do this with my youngest son in a few years.

That's awesome! I'd love to be at his last race! And to see him put it in the .40's! Killer. Have a great time and safe travels!

Funny you should say that.

I mentioned to my wife, that was the best turnout I'd seen in quite some time during first round of fuel.

Later, I noticed the non-pit side was a less crowded AND they had - done the NASCAR thing (blocked-out) - on the last two grandsatands on the pit-side. I don't know how that translates to "normal" attendence figures.
Given the crappy situation ALL motorsports (and the economy) is in, I don't think we're doing too bad.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back