NHRA Survey (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Got a survey from NHRA in my e mail tonite. Two of the questions re: 1/4 mile. Thought that was interesting. Did mention 1/4 mile & 300 MPH. Guess they are serious about 1/4 mile & speeds around 300 plus.

Be honest here. Can you really tell a difference between 300mph and 330mph with the naked eye? I don’t think so! Lol

They put that out there because they have no racer support, and could care less if we respond.
They are going to try and push this through then state the fans demanded it.

Does Bruton Smith own any of the possible 1/4 mile venues???
if so it will happen.
Zmax X2
Vegas X2
Bristol
Sears Point

That's 6 races capable of running 1/4 which was my thoughts on who is behind this plus his 4 wide crap pushed down our throat.

His Nascar stocks and attendance have taken a beating. However, Cromwell seems to be the one pushing for this. Ridiculous

How about a buy 3 get the 4th ticket free. It's insane $$ to take a family or friends for 2 shots of nitro for 1 day, muchless the weekend.

I simply don't understand what the goal or mission is here.

I responded, 1,000ft at 330 any day over 1,320 at 300. If I wanted to watch early 90's performance I would watch nostalgia racing.

I responded, 1,000ft at 330 any day over 1,320 at 300. If I wanted to watch early 90's performance I would watch nostalgia racing.
Same here. We have had 285 mph runs in a/fuel, whats the draw of the top fuel dragsters only being 15 mph faster. That should also tell you how much they would have to neuter the cars to reach that performance level.

Same here. We have had 285 mph runs in a/fuel, whats the draw of the top fuel dragsters only being 15 mph faster. That should also tell you how much they would have to neuter the cars to reach that performance level.
This point right here is what bugs me the most. How about slowing the professional TA racers and make it reasonable money wise, so many of us who have an operation can justify the cost of taking it out of the box.

The Top Alcohol classes can't afford to take a hit like that. Something must be done however. I don't want to see 1000' alcohol cars, but there is no way to slow these freight trains and keep a speed limit within reason compared to the fuel cars.

Last edited:
This point right here is what bugs me the most. How about slowing the professional hobby racers - TA, and make it reasonable money wise, so many of us who have an operation can justify the cost of taking it out of the box.

Bingo! It's not like they're lining up 25-deep to run these classes anymore either. It's time to get EVERYTHING under control cost-wise.

Sean D

Reduce track prep. The tuners will figure out how to get down the tracks.

The speed solves itself.

I'm 100% for this!

That's really what the focus should be: cutting costs. I'm not saying there's an easy answer, but if costs were lower, more cars in EVERY class would come out. That in itself would draw more fans. I read an article in ND at the very beginning of the season that discussed how manufacturers of big ticket items, such as cranks and rods for fuel cars, were considering changing how they build them. I wish I had it in front of me, but it seemed like a relatively small change in how they were built, probably adding a bit of weight, added substantially to the life of the parts. Anyway, that's the type of thing that needs to happen. To me the only thing that would be exciting about fuel cars going to 1320 would be if they were allowed to go faster. Given that would add to risks and costs, that's not going to happen. So what's the point?

Bring it back! Love the 1320. Some of you wimps prob want
Reduce track prep. The tuners will figure out how to get down the tracks.

The speed solves itself.

I'm 100% for this!
Itl be a smokefest,not going to watch that

I would love a smokefest event, if both lanes were even. One of the most fun Top Fuel events I remember seeing was when the championship in Australia went to Adelaide, which hadn't seen big time racing for a while. The best ET for the weekend was something like a 4.4 over 1000 feet. And yet it was captivating, some guys just let the things roll into smoke and stayed into it to the finish line, others tried to pedal, some made it down on the ragged edge.
I would love to see quarter mile racing again if it could be made unpredictable, because I think one thing the sport has lost since the quarter mile era was the ability for the lead of the race to flip-flop. JR Todd running down Jack Beckman (I think it was Beckman) at Sonoma was a very rare sight but happened a lot more in the quarter mile days.

While I'm all for returning to quarter mile, the ability to rank class preferences made this survey worth taking. That way I could rank FS way over Pro Stock ;) In fact there were several classes I ranked over Pro Stock in hopes it sends a message that they need to either fix it or eliminate it.

Itl be a smokefest,not going to watch that

So you're saying that the tuners can't figure out how to get from A to B?

The goal is to get to the finish line first, I'm betting that they figure it out. And for the record, the occasional pedal fest is fine with me.

Something absolutely must be done to lower the costs to compete in the upper echelon categories. Now, the alcohol cars are suffering from low car counts and short fields too, and Competition Eliminator has about dried up. Pro stock is being propped up by a couple of mega-teams, and nitro is dominated by the big 3, with qualifying converted to testing, due to short fields. Adequate sponsorships have become scarce due to poor ROI. One of the most exciting forms of sports has become almost bland and the intensity of the competition has greatly diminished. I absolutely love this sport and it is sad to see the direction it has taken. Change must take place, in order to reduce costs and increase car counts.

Last edited:
I'm okay with a pedal-fest now and then, but it sure seems like we've had several qualifying sessions over the course of the season that have been complete busts from a spectator standpoint. What I can tell you is I took a group of virgins to Indy several years back (not sure what year) and the Friday night fuel session, Funny Car in particular, was incredible. Probably 85-90% full pulls, candles lit under the lights and it was a helluva show. More importantly, the rookies I took even made note of it, saying essentially that the full pulls were way more entertaining than the less than handful aborted runs due to tire smoke.

Night runs versus daytime runs are a completely different animal as far as fuel racing goes and I understand that, but I just can't imagine full-pulls not leaving a much better impression on rookie viewers, and that's the impression I would want to make if I were trying to garner more fans to our sport.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back