Lex Joon realizes his American Dream (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Zaandam, the Netherlands, August 26, 2009: Dutch Top Fuel racer, Lex Joon has long had an American Dream. That dream was to compete with the best drag racers in the world in the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series. Joon’s dream is finally becoming a reality as he prepares his MPM International Oil Company Top Fuel Dragster to make its American debut. Joon will be competing at the last two races on the 2009 schedule, the Las Vegas Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway and the Auto Club Finals at the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona.

Joon, the most successful drag racer in the history of the Netherlands won several class championships before becoming the FIA European Top Fuel Champion in 2005 and runner-up in 2007 and 2008. The highly successful Dutch racer never made it a secret that he hoped someday to compete in the NHRA. Now that dream is happening for the likable and talented Joon, as he embarks on what is appropriately being dubbed as the Lex Joon Racing American Dream Tour 2009.

“I had the opportunity to race a Top Alcohol Funny Car at the Winter Nationals in 2000 and I knew I wanted to come back some day,” explained Joon. “Then the idea to race in the United States started when we clinched the 2005 Championship. We bought the car from David Baca and I knew we had a competitive car. Racing with the best in the business means you have to give everything you have. This is something I am used to doing but most of the time we are hindered by the condition of the tracks on which we are running. The NHRA is famous for their tracks and the excellent way they maintain them.”

In March of this year, the team announced their quest to travel to the United States and compete in the NHRA and now their dream has come true. Major sponsor, MPM International Oil Company of Delft, the Netherlands has made it possible for Joon and his team to join the American ranks at the last two races of the year. To add to the excitement Joon and his team will host MPM European guests in pit side hospitality in Las Vegas.

“This opportunity is not only a dream come true for me but it also is the next step in my career,” explained Joon. “There is not a much better place to start your NHRA career then in Las Vegas and then follow it up with racing at the season finale in Pomona.

“I am looking forward to showing our sponsor, MPM Oil and their guests how exciting and popular racing is in the United States. I am also looking forward to meeting all the competitors, supporters and fans that have the same bug in their blood that I have. I like to call it the “drag bug.” The amount of people you meet is tremendous and I am amazed at how many Americans have European roots and like to talk about it.”

Joon has hired Kevin Poynter to oversee the U.S. operation and act as crew chief while racing in the states. Joon Racing team member, Sebastian Visser will act as assistant crew chief, working closely with Poynter.

“I’m pleased to have Kevin working with us and I know he will fit in perfectly with my crew,” said Joon. “He is a much appreciated tuner in the U.S. and has a good track record of tuning quick runs without braking parts, which is something my team has a trademark for in Europe. With Kevin, I am confident we have one of the best tuners on board to send our MPM Oil Dragster on record runs.”

Poynter is currently living in southern California with his wife, Terri and daughter Sonja and spends his time customizing his home. He has an impressive resume consisting of handling the responsibilities of crew chief for Doug Herbert, J.R. Todd and David Baca. He was assistant crew chief to John Medlen on Eric Medlen’s Funny Car and for five World Championships won by John Force. He also was a test pilot for David Baca. The talented tuner has been sitting on the sidelines impatiently waiting for an opportunity to put his skills to the test.

“Lex and I have been friends for about five years,” said Poynter, “and when he called and asked if I would help him realize his dream, I jumped at the chance. As I’ve sat at home these past months, I just knew that if I were out there I would be doing my best not to struggle knowing that there are some really talented crew chiefs in the wings just chomping at the bit for an opportunity to show what they have to offer. And Lex has given me that opportunity. I am ready to go racing; I just wish he were here and ready to race now. Racing in the states has been Lex’s dream and I am going to help him see it through. Lex, Sebastian and I have been putting together a game plan and are looking to test somewhere before Las Vegas. With two races and possibly one test session, we are going to put our best foot forward to represent MPM Oil and Lex’s other sponsors.

“I am very excited that Lex has asked me to help him and I plan on taking full advantage of the resources he brings with him. We will be a threat and we are planning to ruin some title hopes. The way Lex runs the car over in the FIA is very similar to the way I ran J.R.’s car and we were able to do some damage with it. So, we’ll just make a few small changes to Lex’s dragster and then let it loose. It’s show time and everyone in this program is hungry and I’m ready for war.”

The race car will be shipped from Joon’s race shop in Zaandam (the Netherlands) along with spare parts and tools within the next couple of weeks.

According to Joon, “this is a dream come true for me, so we call this trip our American Dream Tour. Drag racing is such a big part of my life and to be able to take my racing to the next level is exciting. I have raced for almost 30 years in a sport that was hardly known in Europe in the beginning.

“Making this trip with my main sponsor, MPM International Oil Company is great, especially now that they are interested in following my dream. Not only are they funding our trip, but they also wish to start selling their products in a land of great opportunities. This trip is a good chance to optimize relationships between the USA and Europe. We are looking to offer pit side hospitality at both races, and perhaps we can pique the interest of some European and American companies to support us and help make it possible for us to attend more races next year and keep living our American Dream.”

Lex Joon Racing @ Home

DRAGSTER PHOTO IS COURTESY OF REMCO SCHEELINGS

Attachments

• Remco Scheelings Photo.jpg
    Remco Scheelings Photo.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 25
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back