Is 1000ft. any safer or better than 1320? (1 Viewer)

So. why don't we just go to 660 like Wally said in the early 70's? May been as late as 74-75.

I'll have to admit it, one thing appealing about going to 1/8 mile racing would be easing up on the rules and letting it all hang out (no gear or RPM restrictions), at least for a few years until they started hitting 350 in the eighth mile.

Right now we have the worst of both worlds, 1000 foot racing plus they are already pushing the edge on top speeds again so pretty soon additional restrictions are going to come in.

Last edited:
I'll have to admit it, one thing appealing about going to 1/8 mile racing would be easing up on the rules and letting it all hang out (no gear or RPM restrictions), at least for a few years until they started hitting 350 in the eighth mile.

well that and i bet their would be fatalities. They are already 286 and 300 is not far. I was at the shakedown last weekend, it was hairy enough watching the 10.5, extreme outlaw and drag radial guys do 8th. Especially the turbo guys. They said that the class agreed on 1/8 track racing for the event, I questioned why when for the turbo cars by the time it kicks in, their done.

I might have missed in all the earlier posts, but to me the biggest challenge is not running the 1320, but running a competitive 1,000 foot race. Why do I think that? Imagine what kind of tuning prowess is required to hook up 8000 horsepower and make it down a mere 1,000 feet. Back with the 1320 foot track the crew chief and perhaps the driver had that extra 320 feet to make up for a mistake early in the run. Now there is less distance to "forgive" that mistake.

As a racer and a spectator, I enjoy the races from many perspectives. A huge MPH or a low ET is fine, it's finer to think what it took to get those numbers. Then you have that extra 320 foot cushion to stop the car. It's all good and it's safer (for now). I'd rather have 1,000 foot contests than none at all. A time will come when tire and clutch technology will be the limiting factors outside of the $$$ that it takes for fuel racing.

Would 1/8th mile nitro even work? why wouldn't it work you ask? well shutting it off at the 1/8th would be what 1.? seconds thats blink of the eye territory. The shorter the race distance the quicker its all over.

Would 1/8th mile nitro even work? why wouldn't it work you ask? well shutting it off at the 1/8th would be what 1.? seconds thats blink of the eye territory. The shorter the race distance the quicker its all over.

1/8 mile times for TF cars are usually in the 3.0-3.1 range at 265-275 mph. Knock off a tenth and a half and 5-7 mph for FC.

1/8 mile times for TF cars are usually in the 3.0-3.1 range at 265-275 mph. Knock off a tenth and a half and 5-7 mph for FC.

I mean it could work, but I really would hate to watch anything more than Pro-Mod go 1/8. It's hard enough seeing that and all I did was constantly calculate what 1320 would of been.

The PS contingent throws the laundry early hoping that the loss of weight helps their ET.

Say what??

I'll take your word for it, but a few details would be nice...:confused: As for the TF contingency pulling 'em late, that's an easy 2-word explanation. Tire chunking. I also don't believe we'll ever see 350MPH 1000-foots.

Say what??

I'll take your word for it, but a few details would be nice...:confused:

Shoot, Carl, that's nothing new. Look at every one of the p/s cars. They are all throwing the chutes just before the finish line, and have been doing it for a few years now.
There was an interview a couple of years ago on ESPN2. I don't remember the drivers they spoke with but they said because p/s racing is so close, they are hoping the loss of the chutes' weight while the car is still accelerating will take a thousandth or so off their E.T.s and hopefully get them the win.

Shoot, Carl, that's nothing new. Look at every one of the p/s cars. They are all throwing the chutes just before the finish line, and have been doing it for a few years now.

I know about the early chute-throwing, Ted, although to be honest I figured they were doing it to avoid having to lean hard on the carbon-fiber brakes, which can easily upset a PS car (think Kurt Johnson).

One would think the miniscule gain in ET would be offset by the miniscule increase in drag, but that's just speculation on my part. Next time I'm at a major event, I'll ask one of the drivers about it.

So. why don't we just go to 660 like Wally said in the early 70's? May been as late as 74-75.

Why don't we just make it a reaction time contest? First one off the line wins...way cheaper, less fuel, fewer parts...then tracks could sell off the rest of the real estate for condos or something..of course the stands could be way smaller too, because who in their right mind wants to watch crap like that?

Why don't we just make it a reaction time contest? First one off the line wins...way cheaper, less fuel, fewer parts...then tracks could sell off the rest of the real estate for condos or something..of course the stands could be way smaller too, because who in their right mind wants to watch crap like that?

All I can do is laugh...but then it would be so heartbreaking

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back