Internet - Racing's best friend or not? (1 Viewer)

Zak

Nitro Member
An open letter from Terry McMillen

Finding a sponsor / marketing partner in drag racing is probably the toughest part about drag racing. We're not NASCAR or the NFL, so convincing a potential sponsor of the ROI is tough.

So, here we are trying to negotiate a contract for a new sponsor and then they go to the internet and read these threads trashing, arguably the sports biggest sponsor in Evan Knoll and Torco Race Fuels. A potential sponsor reads this and must think if they'll do that to Evan, what will the do to someone they "don't love". All this negative press is killing our sport.

The situation with Torco is truly a legit situation. I know, because I work for Evan. Evan has been kind enough to be a part of our race team for the past 8 years. He worked with me to get my top fuel license. How many people like me or Jessie Harris... have had a chance to get a professional competition license because of Evan? Does anyone have an idea how much the licensing process cost?

If Evan decided to never spend another dollar on drag racing or better yet, what if he hadn't decided to spend money on drag racing in the first place? What would have happened to Clay Millican, Doug Foley, Dale Creasy, Jr. or JR Todd?

Would anyone in the drag racing world know about Mike Ashley the Nitro Funny car driver? What would have happened to Dave Connolly when that team closed up shop and Evan bought them? Melanie Troxel wasn't even driving before Evan came along. Don't get me wrong - these guys are all great on their own merits, but Evan helped get them to the point that they are today.

Where would IHRA and NHRA be without Evan Knoll?

I look at the at the money and exposure Evan brings to the POWs.

And for that... some crucify him for the decision he's made.

The man has an incredible desire for drag racing and a passion that is second to none to help aspiring teams and individuals. Evan has afforded many the opportunity to fulfill their dreams in a sport that we all know and love. Evan is the kind of guy that would give the shirt of his back if you needed it worse than him.

The funny part to me... most of the negativity I see on the internet is coming from 'fans'. While I'm sure there are teams that hated the decision made, I don't see them bashing Evan. Most are thankful and are willing to say it in public. You don't see any of the race teams bashing him - so why is it OK for fans to go out and do it?

It's funny that people that know Evan are not out there bashing him? Even rival fuel competitors (VP Race Fuels' website) put business aside to wish Evan best wishes.

Do you know when things are going to happen? Can you predict the future? Do you know when you're going to have a heart attack? You just can't plan certain things. I hate that Evan has to go through all this. It wasn't planned or predicted and I for plan on helping him come out on the other side, happier and healthier so that he can be a part of what he loves... drag racing.

So, I encourage all of the racers and mostly 'Internet fans' to relax and let the dust settle. Drag racers are known for helping each other when things are tough. It's time for us to 'suck it up', let it go and move on. Evan said he'll be back in '09 - he'll be back in '09. Don't you think we owe it to him to have a full recovery - It's time for the racing industry to give back to him like he's given to the industry.

I'm proud to say that he started my Top Fuel career, I'm honored to work for him -

I for one can't wait for you to come out and prove everyone wrong in '09.

In closing, I would encourage everyone to stop this nonsense so that everyone looking for a sponsor has an opportunity to secure one. We need corporate America. Let's not give them a reason to NOT become involved in drag racing due to internet negativity.

Evan, just want you to know we're going to run the Torco logos with pride. You've had our back for all these years, not it's our turn to have your back.

Get well soon.

Gator

Well said.

I would suggest that the few negative comments on this and other boards are coming from simply a vocal minority that have no idea what they are talking about.

Randy G.

I agree. Being negative makes some people feel self-important. Like they have an inside track on the situation. Terry's statement is awesome.

That was very well written. I have often seen people that thrive on negativity. It seems that the only way they can make themselves feel big and important is by making somebody else look small. Don't understand it....

It is all a matter of priorities. Do I love drag racing??? Absolutely as I have been addictted since I was a small boy BUT I realize it is not the only thing on earth.

So I read that Evan came through the surgury just fine and all our prayers were answered.....

jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back