Thank You, Evan. (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
I first met Evan in 2004 before his accident when Marc White was driving my TA/FC. Evan wanted to know why Marc and I didn't race very much, and he noticed that when we did run we ran very well. Marc and I ran only as often as we could afford to. Next thing we know, TORCO is on the side of our car. To put it in perspective, hardly anyone knew who "TORCO" was.

Then the news came of Evan's accident in his Viper. The one that nearly cost him his life (and by all rights should have). He emailed me the pictures of what was left of his car. God spared his life for a reason.

I watched Evan's company go from sponsoring our team and Jeff Wilson's to becoming the biggest thing to hit drag racing since the invention of the quarter mile itself. He made dreams into realities for many racers, crewmen and women, and sanctioning bodies desperate for an influx of the kind of love, passion and financial help only a guy like Evan could bring.

Evan is a regular guy with a big heart. Talking to him you'd never know he was anything but a genuine human being. This decision...making it probably just about killed him, while his medical problems are trying to do the same. And to the naysayers, it's real. Evan stands to lose his life if he doesn't step away for a while.

I remember getting ready to fire my car in front of the waterbox during the first qualifying session at Las Vegas this last year. Brian Olson came up to me and says "Look what I got." Brian steps aside and right behind him was Evan with a great big grin on his face. Evan gives me a rib breaking hug and asks "How's your eye doing?" A few weeks earlier while racing in Tucson I had a pit accident that nearly cost me my eye. Evan was more concerned about my health than he was about how we ran. That's Evan.

I spoke to Latrell for a long time tonight. I know Latrell very well, and I can tell you he is very concerned for his boss nearly to the point of tears. The feeling at TORCO is that if Evan doesn't take time off and stop, he will not be with us 12 months from now. I know Evan has been going through hell for over 3 years since the accident and he just wants the nightmare to end.

Please use this thread to just say thank you to the guy who wasn't afraid to stand up and support everyone he could. And don't forget to add to the list all the causes he supported, too. No speculations, please. There's already another thread going for that.

Please keep Evan in your prayers. There's more to life than worrying about racing a damn car.

Get well soon, Evan.

Randy

torafu.jpg

Last edited:
after reading that it shows some people take life for granted all we can really do is accept what he has done and will do ive never personally met the guy but he honestly sounds like one of the greatest guys you could ever get the chance to meet and in all honesty just wait it out regardless of how this one season goes let the man get better and wait til next year when hes ready to go all out for the championship and if you for one second think he wont appear at the races this year youll be wrong hell make as many as he can you can tell from what this guy has done for our sport that hes a fighter and will do all he can to be there just like force when he was all bandaged (sp) up now dont get me wrong i may only be 19 years old myself but i already know you cant take life for granted and well i guess to sum it up get better evan just sit back and take care of yourself for a change god bless ya and hope you have yourself a speedy recovery

Randy
Very well put,there's a lot more to life then just a race car. I will keep Evan in my prayers & hope for a complete recovery.

I could speak all day about the heart of Evan Knoll but I'd never get get any work done. But, seeing all of those people -- people that had no chance, including me, that he's helped to live a dream -- do I really need to saw anything? Isn't it obvious where his heart was. I can tell you this is a heart-wrenching path for him. But, if you care more about Evan -- his long-term life and quality, he has to take this time to heal.

Then on top of this, Latrell Preston, the company CFO -- Evan's right hand man and dear friend, is watching his father battle cancer.

I knew Evan before his accident and I saw the toll this injury took on him. I saw the look of hurt on his face when his body just wouldn't allow him to spend more than a day at the track. I saw the look on his face, when he'd taken ten of his closest friends to the SUPER BOWL because his favorite team was playing and then couldn't go. He had to stay back in his room and rest because of severe headaches.

When Suzie posted what she did -- it was a clue of what was going on, but I couldn't say until an official statement came out. Evan's injury kept him living on borrowed time because he just couldn't slow down. He loved the sport so much and was so close to his drivers that he couldn't stay away. Now he has no other choice if he wants to live.

I love drag racing, but I love my friend more.

Yes, I am close to the team Torco operation and this kills me to see the displaced people. Right now, Evan and all of those affected need our prayers. Evan, his family, the families of those affected teams and every one.

For those of the Christian faith, I can't help but think today's Daily Devotional came at the right time.

A GREAT CALM

MEMORY VERSE: Matthew 8:26: And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.

Believing the Bible requires accepting the miraculous. The birth of Jesus was a miracle, as was His life. Miracles attended His ministry: the lame walked; the blind were given sight; the dead were called to life again.

A miracle demands divine intervention in human experience. How silly man's supposed solutions to the miraculous must seem to God! The efforts of some to make God in the image of man would be laughable if they were not so tragic.

The disciples had only begun to get used to the mighty power of their Master when that now famous storm came sweeping down on the sea of Galilee. They were experienced seamen, but that day the ferocity of the wind and waves was more than they could handle. In their expert opinions, the end had come. They cried: "Lord, save us: we perish" (Matthew 8:25).

At the call of His own, the Saviour rose and rebuked the winds and the sea and there was a great calm. Those converted fishermen were amazed. Jesus had entered the area of their expertise and had rescued them when they thought all hope was gone. "What manner of man is this?" they asked. The calmness of the sea was the silent answer to their question.

It would be comfortable to anchor in a quiet haven for life, but most have to weather some storms. How good to have the calm Christ aboard!

Randy, that was a great post. I've never met Evan, but it's very obvious that he is a special guy. He needs to take the year, or two, or whatever it takes, to get completely healthy, racing will always be there. Hey Bobby, for some reason I can't use the link to send along an email, something about a default setting (see how computer savvy I am). Is there an address I can just use to send a get well note?

Randy, that was a great post. I've never met Evan, but it's very obvious that he is a special guy. He needs to take the year, or two, or whatever it takes, to get completely healthy, racing will always be there. Hey Bobby, for some reason I can't use the link to send along an email, something about a default setting (see how computer savvy I am). Is there an address I can just use to send a get well note?

The email address is [email protected]

I have the utmost respect and thanks for a man that keeps so many teams out there on the track, and competitive. But your health always comes first. Evan, we hope you get yourself well, and our able to come back to the sport that you love so much next year, stronger than ever.

Take care of yourself, first and foremost.

Thanks Randy for starting this thread, and for your great story. How can anyone that loves this sport be anything but appreciative of what Evan Knolls has done for this sport? He has allowed so many people to live their dreams, and the sport is so much better because of that. Get well Evan, everyone will miss you out there.

Randy G,

Thank you for giving those of us that don't know him personally a glimpse of what we all assumed to be true. That Evan is a great guy who loves cars and drag racing and has helped a ton of people. :)

Get well Evan! :cool:

Rapid

Thank you Randy & Bobby for posting this. The talk of "let the lawsuits begin" on the other thread made me angry to think that some would state that while Evan is battling for something that we all cherish, a thing called LIFE.

I have met Evan a couple of times and sometimes I feel bad for him that he has not been able to enjoy racing to it's fullest because he has so many people that are constantly asking for money. And I'm sure it's not just drag racing.

I mentioned that to him one time and as much as he loves people and he loves to race and he's a sharing and caring person, he admitted that there was truth to that statement. He had a name for it that was very funny, but honestly, I would say it wrong if I put it on here. :rolleyes:

God Bless you Evan, We pray that you are 110% soon and can enjoy the sport you love the most, Racing. May you spend extra valued time with your family, Brian, Lantrell and many of your extended family who care about Evan, The Person, rather than Evan, the funding guy. I know that you will be in our prayers for a speedy and FULL recovery.

I think it is a disgrace for people to even question his situation after all he has done for the sport. JMHO.

Evan...
Nothing I could say here that hasn't already been said...
But whatever it takes to get you back to full health, however long it takes.

It ain't going to be the same without you, but put yourself first for a change.

With Heartfelt Love and Respect

The Stalcup Family

I've never met Evan, but have wanted to for awhile now. After reading this stuff, I want to meet him even more.

If I could afford to, I'd do the same things Evan has done for Drag Racing. I just love this sport.

Evan, thanks for taking care of us, the fans. Now go and take care of yourself.

Can't say this enough. Thank you, Evan! Thanks for everything you have done directly and inderectly to help build our industry and make things much more exciting every weekend at virtually every track in the nation.

Get well. Come back soon. Keep fighting. Keep smiling.

We'll miss you!!

I think it is a disgrace for people to even question his situation after all he has done for the sport. JMHO.

I agree. Even if Evan, Latrell and Torco walk away from drag racing forever there is no question they made the drag racing world a better place. Instead of finger pointing and hand-wringing I will just tip my cap and say a heartfelt "Thanks" to all of the Torco folks and hope that they are healthy enough and willing enough to return to the sport we all love somewhere down the line.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back