Gladly Eating Crow (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
I like my crow deep fried with salt and pepper! After watching the Gatornationals today on TV I have concluded that NHRA is in about as good of shape as it could be. There were big fields, more sponsors, a packed house, an independent fuel racer made it to the final, and what do you know the show was on at 3 PM here on the west coast. All this when we are suppose to be having the mother of all recessions. I think this will turn out to be a good year after all for drag racing across the board! Nothing seems lacking to me.

Last edited:
I agree with you on your observations for the most part. One thing to consider is the fact that the Gators are one of the premier races of the year. Seems to always have good car count. Its in a good geographical spot. Whether or not the car count is like that on lesser races and the western swing remains to be seen. If I had the guess, I would think they will be considerably smaller but we'll see in the summer.

Overall, one of the best shows I've seen in the last couple of years. Very good job ESPN2.

d'kid

Overall, one of the best shows I've seen in the last couple of years. Very good job ESPN2.

d'kid

Karl, I agree it might have been the best performance wise had the track held up after first round. I don't understand why they didn't show qualifying early Sunday morning like they did with Phoenix race. I am one who's been critical of ESPN so this is encouraging, let hope it continues.:)

I like my crow deep fried with salt and pepper! After watching the Gatornationals today on TV I have concluded that NHRA is in about as good of shape as it could be. There were big fields, more sponsors, a packed house, an independent fuel racer made it to the final, and what do you know the show was on at 3 PM here on the west coast. All this when we are suppose to be having the mother of all recessions. I think this will turn out to be a good year after all for drag racing across the board! Nothing seems lacking to me.

Rich I like mine Smoked w/sauce KC Style:cool:

the new ron capps napa ad is the best sign of the nhra's health I saw yesterday. That was some funny sh9t . Reminded me of the quality you see with ads using nascar drivers.

the napa and the "funny" car ad was pretty funny. I do hope that this will be a series of ads with a different groaner joke every time.

The gatots was big, I wouldn't be so quick so assume all is well though. It's the first stop anywhere near East. Certain places will always be big draws. I think the health needs to be viewed in its entirety and not just a race or two here or there.

I did love the 6-9 air time for the finals, that was great

Hold on Rich, the Summer Gas prices haven't hit yet! Lets see how the crowds are at Seattle/Sonoma are.

For now I'll eat crow but if the prices continue to climb it won't just be NHRA that we will be worried about but the whole economy as apparently it's on thin ice as it is. But short term I think the sport is in as good of shape as we can expect to be in.

We'll just have to see what happends with oil prices. Bill Wattenburg on KGO said last night he expects oil price to double since the eco groups have basicly put a stop to domestic drilling and nukes. He predicts a rough few years until the politicians get their heads out of there a$$ and stop talking and start drilling.

Rich, after looking at great car counts, great racing and huge crowds this weekend, one would agree with you. And I always tend to be an optimist. Everything goes in cycles, and drag racing has always managed to make it through the tough times. The cool thing about drag racing, is that it can always re-invent itself. If one day the "big show" disappeared, the sport wouldn't die. Look at all the excitement surrounding the March Meet and the ADRL Pro Mod race. However, with regards to the NHRA nitro deal, there are definitely concerns. Jim Head says the nitro price increase will force him to drop 3 races. Densham says that had he know about the increase before hitting the road, he would have stayed home. That's not good news.

Since NHRA has made VP the exclusive supplier of nitro, they owe it to their racers to increase the purse to make up for the increase. It's only fair.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back