Eating crow by the shovelful (1 Viewer)

Well said, Rich. I'll be in Ennis in September, I don't care if they're only racing 800 ft. All of us need to remember that behind all of the metal and machinery there are a lot of people just like us that want to be around to enjoy their families and friends. I applaud the NHRA for making a tough decision, and I applaud Rich, and his better half, for keeping an open mind.

When 1000' racing was announced as an interim measure a couple of weeks ago I was very vocal in my opposition to the NHRA adopting it as a permanent standard for the fuel classes. In fact my opposition was so adamant that I said that I would return my already purchased NHRA Northwest National tickets to Glendora. True to my word I wrote a letter explaining that while I fully supported any and all measures to increase driver safety, I was also concerned about the integrity and history of the sport and would not support a permanent change to 1000' foot racing. I put that letter along with my tickets in an addressed, stamped, envelope and asked my wife to put it in the outgoing mail the next morning.

However, sometimes life has it's little surprises. One of those surprises happened on Wednesday evening when my wife came to me with a familiar looking envelope in her hand and said, "Do you you still want me to mail this?"
I guess she obviously knows me better than I sometimes suspect. I had already softened my stance somewhat after listening to the various driver comments during the television broadcast from Denver. But to make a long story short, I decided to reconsider my previous decision for at least one more day and then on Thursday night I made the decision to at least attend the Friday session. And I'm glad I did.

I'll let others who attended the Seattle race talk about the action on the track. I only want to say that it only took one walk through the pits on Friday morning to come to grips with what an ass I was. As I watched various drivers meeting and interacting with fans, including my eleven year old daughter, I was reminded once again of what I already knew: these drivers we look up to and love are flesh and blood human beings like the rest of us, not characters or actors like we see on television or a movie screen. I don't want to see one more of these drivers unnecessarily injured or worse. For that reason I will be supportive of the drivers in the efforts currently being made to make the sport safer. Does that mean that I no longer want to see a return to 1320' racing? Absolutely not! I still remain convinced that 1320' is integral to maintaining the integrity and history of drag racing. But safety must always come first - even if it means 1000' foot racing as an interim measure.
Glad to see thinks happened the way they did. No flames from me! :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back