Countdown Question (1 Viewer)

tomcat

Nitro Member
Lord knows I'm not trying to get anything started here, just wondered if anybody had checked last years final standings (in any class) using the new points system to see if anything significant would have changed in the points order. I'm sure there will be a side to side comparison of the old vs. the new this year, just wondered about previous years. If this has already been covered, I apologize, I didn't see it anywhere else.

When they started to promote it last year they did show how it would affect it then as well as the previous year.

If I recall right, nothing would have changed last year. However Kurt Johnson would have won Pro Stock the year before and I think Funny Car would have been different in '05 also.

(see is everybody proud of me, simple answer and no rant:p)

Makes me think of Dirty Johnny answering the teacher's question....RATS

You just keep waiting for the REST OF THE ANSWER....:D:D

Okay, I'll say it...

They Screwed up

Should have been:

First 13 to the first cut (ie, no time for going into TEST MODE)

14-19 to the second

20. 21. 22. and 23 for the final 4

and nope, I still don't like it:(

I have a question...and I just really thought of it over the last week.

Will we still have a "Top 10" for the year...or does that go "bye-bye", too?

I have a question...and I just really thought of it over the last week.

Will we still have a "Top 10" for the year...or does that go "bye-bye", too?

That has never been answered. I would think with all of the importance being placed on being in the top 8 then also awarding top 10 seems odd. Regardless I have never heard an answer to that.

(look at that 2 for 2 Paul better be smiling)

That has never been answered. I would think with all of the importance being placed on being in the top 8 then also awarding top 10 seems odd. Regardless I have never heard an answer to that.

(look at that 2 for 2 Paul better be smiling)

Kinda what we thought, too. I guess it will be a weird awards banquet, huh?:confused:

I ran the points totals as we finished the 06 season using the Countdown system. Here is the thread with the final standings.
http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/3521-2006-countdown-championship-final.html

Chris will you be doing the same this year? If not let me know and I'll keep on going on here.

I'm would like to see the points run 3 ways just to see what the difference is.
The countdown
The true champ way (last years method)
and also not cutting to the final 4. Basically running the 8 in the playoffs through the rest of the season.

heck we could end up with 3 ways to have a champ. That's it its just pick a champion now. Use whatever points system you want until your guys wins. Makes about as much sense as the welfare system

opps, I guess the streak is over:rolleyes:

Kinda what we thought, too. I guess it will be a weird awards banquet, huh?:confused:

yes, although the money break down has always gone to 10th and I don't remember seeing that it changed.

it may be something that they play by ear, if a big name misses the 8 but makes 9th or 10th they may include the top 10 like the past.

Also I assume 9th on down still gains points as they do all season and can still adavance or drop in the standings (as high as 9th) but that has also not been addressed.

Yes there will still be a Top 10 at the banquet, that was stated last year. Points are still tallied that way also.

It will be interesting to see how they do this. Theoretically, the champion could have a lower ranking in the season points than #1. Unless I'm missing something.

It will be interesting to see how they do this. Theoretically, the champion could have a lower ranking in the season points than #1. Unless I'm missing something.

to many yes that could be the case, to them and the system there will be no season points. Going into Vegas when the final cut is made and the points are rest yet again starting at 3000 (for 4th, 3010 for 3rd and so on) whatever those 4 drivers get in points over the last 2 races will be their final points.

I'm also curious what happens to 5-8 over the last 2 races. Do they have a chance to gain or lose spots? If so then by the last 2 races each class will have 3 different points systems going on within it.

to many yes that could be the case, to them and the system there will be no season points. Going into Vegas when the final cut is made and the points are rest yet again starting at 3000 (for 4th, 3010 for 3rd and so on) whatever those 4 drivers get in points over the last 2 races will be their final points.

I'm also curious what happens to 5-8 over the last 2 races. Do they have a chance to gain or lose spots? If so then by the last 2 races each class will have 3 different points systems going on within it.

I guess it's conceivable then that the #5 car that misses the cut to the final 4 could then get hot over the last 2 races and actually have more points than the 3rd or 4th place car, but still finish as #5 because they didn't make the final 4 cut. Wow, kinda seems like getting the job without the majority of votes...I mean points, lol.

The top eight will remain in the top eight positions after the points are adjusted - not enough races left for 9-whatever to get into the top eight after they add points to the top eight. So 9 on down are racing for 9 & 10 at the awards banquet. Similarly, those in 5-8 at the second cut will be racing for positions 5-8 in the final two events. Those in 1-4 after the second cut will race for 1-4 at the banquet.

Of course, so many have already locked in spots ion the top eight that the drama is pretty much gone and the next two races really don't mean much, and I suspect spots in the final four will also be locked in a couple races into the second phase, again making the next couple races relatively unimportant. Instead of making the last couple races unimportant in the championship, they have succeeded in spreading the unimportance to races earlier in the season.

Like I said, enjoy each race for it's own little successes and failures because the points picture won't mean much until the final two races. Then it's a coin toss, one lucky or unlucky race will determine the championship.

Of course, it would be hilarious if the final four all lose the handle in the last two races and all go out in the first round! Could happen -except for the Army car, the Castrol car, and the Summit car, it happened at Sonoma and Seattle!
Wait - I think I know who the winners will be....

Force made the comment that he was OK w/ the top 8, but did not like the cut to 4. Would be better to let the top 8 (or 10?) race the rest of the season (like NASCAR) w/o a cut?

Chris will you be doing the same this year? If not let me know and I'll keep on going on here.

I'm would like to see the points run 3 ways just to see what the difference is.
The countdown
The true champ way (last years method)
and also not cutting to the final 4. Basically running the 8 in the playoffs through the rest of the season.

heck we could end up with 3 ways to have a champ. That's it its just pick a champion now. Use whatever points system you want until your guys wins. Makes about as much sense as the welfare system

opps, I guess the streak is over:rolleyes:

I plan on doing it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back