Coming Soon: The NHRA's Greatest Races (1 Viewer)

Well, there you have it. Are we talking just your broadcasts..or eventually will all Diamond P's, through the years, be available?

I've always wondered when..or if..this would ever happen.

Thanks a bunch Bill. It will be a hit.

The individual episodes of the series will be available on DVD. Not sure how soon or how much. That's still to be determined.

I hope you decide on the '81 Gators and the '82 U.S. Natls! Those had to be 2 of the Best races of all time! And Yes the '75 Finals from Ontario has to be included in this as well!

I've got the '82 U.S. Nationals.

Also, I've never seen any footage of the '75 World Finals. I've always wondered if that race was covered. Maybe Big Mac could chime in on this one.

Tony and all,

This is truly great news. Have been waiting for years for the library issue to get resolved and when it did, I felt sure that there was something good to come out of it.

Bill S., thanks for all the kind words. I look forward to seeing you at Pomona which will mark my 48th consecutive year...the first for me coming in 1963. I have been lured out of hibernation to do some work and I am really pleased to hear the details of your project. I guess way back when, I should have held out for residuals!!!<VVBG> You can guess the outcome of those requests.

Tony, to answer your question, the World Finals of 1975 was the last production by a company headed by one Tommy Roberts, a radio station owner and the track announcer at the Cherry Hill N.J. horse track. He started doing the NHRA races with the 1973 Gators, where I had the opportunity to serve as the play by play anchor. His shows were the start of the syndicated series of NHRA Drag Racing. His company ran into financial difficulties with the '75 Finals and it was after that experience that NHRA decided to take over the production and syndication responsibilities, hiring Harvey Palash and Diamond P Sports as the production company. I took over the syndication operation during my last couple of years as a full time NHRA employee before leaving in 1978 for Argus Publishers. I have no idea if any copies even exist of that '75 Finals event...much less the Gators of '73.

Sorry to go on so long...you know how announcers are...they just talk a lot!!!

See you all at Pomona and thanks again, Bill S.

Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year.

Stay well one and all.

MaC

Tony, to answer your question, the World Finals of 1975 was the last production by a company headed by one Tommy Roberts, a radio station owner and the track announcer at the Cherry Hill N.J. horse track. He started doing the NHRA races with the 1973 Gators, where I had the opportunity to serve as the play by play anchor. His shows were the start of the syndicated series of NHRA Drag Racing. His company ran into financial difficulties with the '75 Finals and it was after that experience that NHRA decided to take over the production and syndication responsibilities, hiring Harvey Palash and Diamond P Sports as the production company. I took over the syndication operation during my last couple of years as a full time NHRA employee before leaving in 1978 for Argus Publishers. I have no idea if any copies even exist of that '75 Finals event...much less the Gators of '73.
Is that the same Tom Roberts who works for the Alabama Crimson Tide Sports Network?

...and Merry Christmas to you too...see you at the Winternationals.

Tony, I'm not familiar with the Tom Roberts of the Crimson Tide net...but would seriouly doubt it. It was over 30 years ago that I worked with Roberts onthe drag racing TV shows and he was no spring chicken at the time. His operations were based in the Philadelphia area.

See you soon. Stay well.

MaC

Thanks for weighing in, Mac. I'll look forward to seeing you at Pomona in February. I just wrapped up writing and narrating the 50th Anniversary of the Winternationals home DVD for the NHRA which will be available right around the race. I hope everyone enjoys it since the W-Nats has been such a vital part of the NHRA's popularity for a long time.

I have many fond memories of working with you on the ESPN coverage between 1997 and 2000 (and the short-lived Pay-Per-View telecasts prior to that). Our crew was really devoted to the sport and your great flair for bringing drama and immediacy to each and every pair of cars is sorely missed.

Hope you and your lovely bride have a great Holiday and I'll see you soon.

No doubt about it, this is going to be sensational!!!!! Bill and Dave, as a BIG Blue Max fan, one race in particular I would throw a party for being able to record would be the 75 Indy race featuring Beadle over Prudhomme. I believe ABC was covering it at the time. Any chance of that one winding up in your archives?

Any of the major network races may or may not be off limits. The races which were syndicated comprise many of the early shows and present no potential legal snags. That's not to say we won't be able to include ABC or NBC productions but we haven't reached the point where we need clarification on that. Stay tuned.

I hope some current announcers watch these for research and use them as a learning tool. I can't wait to see these

Tony and all,

This is truly great news. Have been waiting for years for the library issue to get resolved and when it did, I felt sure that there was something good to come out of it.

Bill S., thanks for all the kind words. I look forward to seeing you at Pomona which will mark my 48th consecutive year...the first for me coming in 1963. I have been lured out of hibernation to do some work and I am really pleased to hear the details of your project. I guess way back when, I should have held out for residuals!!!<VVBG> You can guess the outcome of those requests.

Sorry to go on so long...you know how announcers are...they just talk a lot!!!

See you all at Pomona and thanks again, Bill S.

Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year.

Stay well one and all.

MaC

Hopefully Mac you'll be behind the microphone again in the tower for a little bit of the race @ Pomona, last time I heard you announce an NHRA National Event was Indy about 4-5 years ago.

Drag racing was on quite a few channels over the years. TNN, ESPN, NBC, KMSP(Fox?) USA Network, and a couple more.

I have 2 versions of the 85 Winternationals, one was TNN with Steve Evans and Brock Yates, and another one which must have been on ESPN with Steve Evans and Dave Mac.

I can't wait for this to begin!!

I remember the 1988 Gatornationals doing the same thing, TNN American Sports Cavalcade edition w/Steve and Brock and the ESPN edition w/Dave Mac and Steve. I like the ESPN version more.

Thanks for weighing in, Mac. I'll look forward to seeing you at Pomona in February. I just wrapped up writing and narrating the 50th Anniversary of the Winternationals home DVD for the NHRA which will be available right around the race. I hope everyone enjoys it since the W-Nats has been such a vital part of the NHRA's popularity for a long time.

I have many fond memories of working with you on the ESPN coverage between 1997 and 2000 (and the short-lived Pay-Per-View telecasts prior to that). Our crew was really devoted to the sport and your great flair for bringing drama and immediacy to each and every pair of cars is sorely missed.

Hope you and your lovely bride have a great Holiday and I'll see you soon.

I've mentioned this before but I actually wish NHRA does go back to PPV or does a "Sports package style" broadcast where you can pay for the Season and watch all the racing LIVE Qualifying & Elims (while ESPN has their regular same day tape broadcasts w/Paul & Mike and them) as it is seen on AC Delco Vision with Bob and Alan and the gang in the tower, and if you are an NHRA Member, get some sort of discount from the package.

NHRA Did kinda cross into that in 2008 with the ESPN 360 Debut for the final races of the season when they showed everything as it happened even sportsman racing (show comp-Super Street right after the pros/Alkys) this year they dropped the ball with 360 putting it on the same time it was on the TV w/commercials and all making it insignificant.

wow.haven't been on the mater much lately but I 'm glad I checked in today .

Great news!!!

I know Joe - life has been getting in the way of fun lately...hopefully 2010 is different for me :)

Just a reminder, everyone. The show airs on Fox Sports Net, not the main Fox network or FX. If you receive Fox Sports Net which frequently airs scholastic stick-and-ball sports, either high school or college, international soccer matches, outdoor programing, or locally-originating sports on Comcast or another local cable supplier, that's where you need to be.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back