Coming Soon: The NHRA's Greatest Races (4 Viewers)

Congrats Bill. With 30+years of tapes you will have NO trouble doing several seasons of this. Best of luck. The format sounds great having the people comment on the race you are showing.

Please keep us posted on times and days if anything changes.

I dont think i get fox sports :( sometimes their programs are run on comcast sportsnet, hope thats the case here

I am sure someone is going to tell me to just record it but not being sure if I can even watch this here would it be too much to ask that perhaps a dvd of some of the old footage be oneday considered . Being young I never got to see it and would very much like to .

Cannot wait to program the DVR for this ... something tells me some of these will have "save until I delete" status.

will the shows have the infamous "Canned cheering" sounds during every run when they cross the stripe that was notorious from Diamond P back then?

You should be able to watch the shows on the Comcast SportsNet system. Fox Sports is divided into various regions across the country and the cable systems in those areas will almost always choose to air the Fox programing rather than locally produced content which isn't as profitable. Fox promises 87 million households with as many as 100 million potentially receiving the programs.

The shows are at 11:30AM in all time zones. This was a major factor in deciding on which network to place the series since it's rare for a network to be able to guarantee that kind of scheduling.

Yes, you'll hear the canned cheering. One of my goals when conceiving the series was to run the original Diamond P video and audio exactly as it was aired when first telecast. I want to stress that the quality of the coverage, storytelling, and race call by the Diamond P team (long before I worked there in 1994) holds up incredibly after all these years.

Mac's sense of drama in his race call and economy of words creates a feeling of anticipation to each pair of cars; his presence of mind to explain certain aspects of the sport such as burnouts and engine horsepower draws in new fans and helps them grasp what they're watching. Steve is still the benchmark when it comes to pit reporting with an ease of delivery, remarkably concise questions which result in the key storypoints being succinctly revealed, and the ability to ask tough questions when appropriate, with sensitivity and style. And watch how the drivers respond to him: always with respect, comfort, and openness. (Except when Big Daddy is asked what he changed on his setup. He wouldn't even tell God that.)

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's comments after seeing the first show which is the 1983 US Nationals when Kenny Bernstein crushed everyone in both the second annual Big Bud Shootout and on Monday in US Nationals eliminations for the sport's first Indy double-up.

Last edited:
That's great. There were really some incredible races. Some that come to mind were 1975 at Ontario with all the records and the Garlits/ Beck battle, the World Finals with the Ormsby/ Amato points battle and the race at Indy when some Nitro teams had Nitrous and made unthinkable runs. Also there was an epic point battle at OCIR with Beck/ Allen. Not bashing the countdown at all but there were some incredible races over the years where the points came down to the last pass of the day.
Chris McGee.

Bill:

That is friggin' WONDERFUL NEWS.

And you are almost the only guy on this planet that could pull it off!

Congratulations, and like Don Ewald's site says; DO IT FOR LOVE!

-90% jimmy

PS - are you back in the north east? I thought you lived down in North Carolina or something?

I'll definetly be looking for it. I have some old video tapes I watch now and then when I can get the old VCR to work :p I remember as a youngster watching Wide World of Sports, must have been in the late 60's when I was 8 or so, and they'd show a little bit of drag racing. I love that old stuff and look forward to yours, even if it's not qute that old!

There really is a Santa Claus!:)

We can't wait to see them all. Along with the broadcast, how about packaging them onto DVD's and you would sell millions, millions I say!;):)
Thanks for the effort Bill!
RO

Bill:

That is friggin' WONDERFUL NEWS.

And you are almost the only guy on this planet that could pull it off!

Congratulations, and like Don Ewald's site says; DO IT FOR LOVE!

-90% jimmy

PS - are you back in the north east? I thought you lived down in North Carolina or something?

Hey Jim, I live on Cape Cod. I lived in Nashville when working for Diamond P in 1994. Thanks for the kind words. You and I are a couple of real throwbacks!

BTW, DVD's of all the shows will be available from NHRA and we'll have a reminder of such at the end of every episode.

Okay, someone PLEASE tell me that this will be picked up by a channel I can get in Canada... (fingers crossed - whispering to Santa).

I hope you decide on the '81 Gators and the '82 U.S. Natls! Those had to be 2 of the Best races of all time! And Yes the '75 Finals from Ontario has to be included in this as well!

All of the races that are being suggested are worthy. The first 13 shows have already been determined but I will definitely keep all suggestions in mind if we proceed to another run of 13 episodes. Keep in mind, however, that back in those days, not every national event was televised so the Diamond P library doesn't include every race. Also, the condition of some of the tape masters, especially on 3/4", are too fragile and brittle to dub so some races will be beyond our usage. Finally, some of the races from the late 1980's and early 1990's were aired originally on major networks such as NBC, ESPN, and TNN. There may be some legal hurdles which will require overcoming to be able to show them on Fox Sports Net. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I will add, however, that each and every race you'll see in the series is compelling. For instance, if you want a terminal case of goosebumps, picture Raymond Beadle in the "Blue Max" pulling up next to Kenny Bernstein in his Budweiser Mercury LN7 at Indy in 1983 with Mac's booming voice setting it all up and you'll get major chills. You are in for a treat!

Last edited:
I remember seeing some Natl. events on Network TV around 91-92! Makes you wonder what made this sport viable for Network TV then but NOT now???

BTW, DVD's of all the shows will be available from NHRA and we'll have a reminder of such at the end of every episode.
Well, there you have it. Are we talking just your broadcasts..or eventually will all Diamond P's, through the years, be available?

I've always wondered when..or if..this would ever happen.

Thanks a bunch Bill. It will be a hit.

Drag racing was on quite a few channels over the years. TNN, ESPN, NBC, KMSP(Fox?) USA Network, and a couple more.

I have 2 versions of the 85 Winternationals, one was TNN with Steve Evans and Brock Yates, and another one which must have been on ESPN with Steve Evans and Dave Mac.

I can't wait for this to begin!!

This is great to hear - and I thank you for your efforts. Fox is a great group of people, in all markets. I have personal production experience with Fox Sports, completley unrelated to drag racing.... so I speak from experience when I say that. However, I think you should consider putting this to a DVD. Look at the response you've gotten just here. It's a tremendous revenue opportunity, way beyond the TV series. Best of luck - and yes, I too... cannot wait!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back