Coming Soon: The NHRA's Greatest Races (1 Viewer)

Billy

Nitro Member
I wanted to give everyone a heads up that on Sunday, January 3rd at 11:30AM, a new series I'm hosting and producing will be making its debut on Fox Sports Net called "The NHRA's Greatest Races". A press release from the NHRA will be forthcoming but for those who don't receive press releases, I thought I'd use this board to help spread the word.

I've been working on making this project happen for quite a while and this past summer, I finally was able to put all the necessary pieces together between my production company, the NHRA, and Roger Burgess of ProCare RX, whose great support and primary sponsorship helped make this possible. I have exclusive access to the immense Diamond P tape library which now resides at NHRA headquarters and includes literally hundreds of tapes archiving all of the national events and bonus races produced for television by Diamond P for over 30 years. The first 13 episodes of the show include some truly historic events in NHRA history such as the 1978 US Nationals featuring Prudhomme and McEwen's Funny Car final just days after Tom's son, Jamie, passed away from leukemia. The 1982 Springnationals where Shirley and Lucille Lee raced in the first all-female Top Fuel final, and the 1984 Gatornationals where Joe Amato debuted Top Fuel's first mega-wing designed by Tim Richards.

What makes these shows so special is that you'll see and hear the great Dave McClelland and Steve Evans as they called the races, provided commentary and storylines, plus see many of the greatest legends in the sport's history: Bernstein, Prudhomme, Beadle, Force, Garlits, Muldowney, Hawley, Glidden, Shepherd, Amato, Ormsby, Oswald, Bradley, Meyer, Dunn, etc., etc., etc, all in action just the way we saw them when the Diamond P shows were first aired in the 1970's and 80's. Plus, you'll see many of those drivers comment on those races in interviews conducted recently, reflecting on those performances. And my buddy, Bob Frey, gives some great historical perspectives on all the races with his usual knack for telling a great story.

I hope everyone will get the word out on the series since if it's a hit, there are many, many more races I'd like to bring back for another 13 week run.

One footnote: Due to the blizzard we were socked with last weekend up here in the northeast, we are running a little behind in getting the first several episodes of the series to the network. If it doesn't debut on the 3rd, look for it a week later on the 10th at the same time.

It's been said dozens of times, those Diamond P races were the best ever. What a great oppurtunity to see those history making moments!
Thanks Bill. :D

Thanks Bill, can't wait to see these. I'm sure that Garlits' blowover will make one of the episodes!:D

Sounds great, Bill! Thanks for letting us know here on Nitromater. I'll be sure to have the DVR set.

Mr. Stephens,If anything gets bumped time wise please keep us informed through this thread ...this is something i don't want to miss

This is AWESOME!! I already have a lot of the events, but this will hopefully help fill in the blanks!!! I really want the 84 Gatornationals you speak of. I had it, and VCR had it's way with it. Amato 260, KB 260, Ron Corenti blowing the body off the car, and a Paul Smith fire nearly into the woods in a brand new car.

To answer a couple of questions, I don't think we'll be facing any delays or pre-emptions on Fox Sports Net. They don't usually schedule live coverage of anything in that time period. And the Diamond P library goes back to the middle and late 70's when the shows were actually syndicated, not produced by any particular network. The video quality is actually much better than I had expected, but certainly not to the high standards we're used to today.

Old tube cameras. analog editing, and relatively low-res program masters which have been sitting around for 20 to 30 years create a challenge when bringing them back to life, but I assure you, you won't be disappointed when you see these shows.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back