Camrie Accident (1 Viewer)

She got off the throttle at what appeared to be 450-500 feet or so, at which time she would have been going about 140mph. No way she would have coasted through at 142 had she not got back in it. I didn't see the car dip in the front, nor did I see any front tire smoke when the rears lit up - to me, indicating something other than the rear brakes locking. She would likely have known that right away yet in her interview she said "We don't know", which probably means NHRA impounded the car like they did after Angie Smith's big crash. My money is on the differential coming apart and locking up.
That could be, but does it make sense? The car was just rolling, maybe with a little throttle, and then suddenly the rear end locks up? I guess it can happen, but it’s just weird. I feel bad for her.

Clutchless transmission
This video shows the inside of a clutchless transmission. The guy does a good job explaining it, at 5:50 he shows what happens if you lift off the throttle with it.
So, it locks up?

Edit, OK, I saw the video. Basically, if you pedal the transmission, it can trash itself is what the guy is saying. It leads to bad things.

Last edited:
She got off the throttle at what appeared to be 450-500 feet or so, at which time she would have been going about 140mph. No way she would have coasted through at 142 had she not got back in it. I didn't see the car dip in the front, nor did I see any front tire smoke when the rears lit up - to me, indicating something other than the rear brakes locking. She would likely have known that right away yet in her interview she said "We don't know", which probably means NHRA impounded the car like they did after Angie Smith's big crash. My money is on the differential coming apart and locking up.
Had rear end lock up on me ounce on the street, gets your attention real quick, your along for the ride, luckily not going to fast, watching her car it looks like if it was rear end lockup it broke loose agian before she stopped, but damage was already done, will wait to see what happened, glade she is not hurt worse, get well soon🙏

Had rear end lock up on me ounce on the street, gets your attention real quick, your along for the ride, luckily not going to fast, watching her car it looks like if it was rear end lockup it broke loose agian before she stopped, but damage was already done, will wait to see what happened, glade she is not hurt worse, get well soon🙏
Had one lock up on me too as I was driving to the staging lanes at about 2-3mph. Loud bang, crunch and it was floor jack time to move it out of the way. Boy, did I get lucky...could have happened at the stripe.... :oops:
I suppose we'll hear in a few days what actually happened. In the meantime, all the best to Camrie. Young people generally heal pretty quickly from such things so by summer, I bet she'll be pushin' the clutch again.

Hard to tell for sure but it sure looks to me like throttle. When the cars bounces from the wall hit, the rear tires look like they are biting in again as if they were spinning much faster than actual forward speed.

Firebird doesn't have the smoothest shutdown area, it's quite possible she was on the brakes alittle harder than normal since she didn't have the chutes out, hits a small bump that upsets the car just enough to lock the rear wheels for a second. That's all it would take, had it been a normal run she propbably only would have had the chutes out in that area of the shutdown.

I'm not buying the brakes/bump excuse. Sure brakes get hot and a bump will unsettle the car, but not like that.

I believe the car was still in low gear and not in nutral when she let out the clutch and the 4-link started to free float.

Hope she recovers soon and is back out there.

Firebird doesn't have the smoothest shutdown area, it's quite possible she was on the brakes alittle harder than normal since she didn't have the chutes out, hits a small bump that upsets the car just enough to lock the rear wheels for a second. That's all it would take, had it been a normal run she propbably only would have had the chutes out in that area of the shutdown.
Possibility, but there sure was a lot of smoke just from a split-second brake lockup - and there was none coming from the front tires either, nor did the car appear to dip from the brake application.

Hell, I don't know, just throwing an opinion out there.

Let me alloborate a bit more. there have been hundereds of door cars that have ran down that track and some going much faster than she was (i.e. Top Sportsman) that don't pull the parachute. No one else had an issue with a bump.

Now some cars like ours have a brake bias adjuster on them that allows more pressure to either front or rear brakes. The circle track guys adjust for the inside wheels to drive harder into a turn. We have our adjusted all the way to the front wheels.
Could be theirs was adjusted all the way to the rear wheels and if she hit the brake too hard, that could have caused then locked up. But nevertheless, it would be hard with such a large tire.

This is a version we have.

It's absolutely ridiculous that a motorsport that is known for its sound, when broadcasted on TV, sounds like a mouse fart.
Indeed. Listen to the perfectly detailed sounds of this TF warmup, whack and shutdown; if whoever took this video can capture the sound of a fuel dragster 10 feet away, FS1 should be able to bring equipment that can deal with the big dB load. Funny reaction from those two boys !

Last edited:
Indeed. Listen to the perfectly detailed, perfectly sounds of this TF warmup, whack and shutdown; if whoever took this video can capture the sound of a fuel dragster 10 feet away, FS1 should be able to bring equipment that can deal with the big dB load. Funny reaction from those two boys !

That looks like clays crew memeber guy lol

Indeed. Listen to the perfectly detailed, perfectly sounds of this TF warmup, whack and shutdown; if whoever took this video can capture the sound of a fuel dragster 10 feet away, FS1 should be able to bring equipment that can deal with the big dB load. Funny reaction from those two boys !

Playing this video @ low volume on my computer sounds amazing. Playing @ medium volume on my Martin Logan Quests sounds like I am @ the strip. How can NHRA POSSIBLY be as stupid as they are when it comes to broadcasting car audio? A camcorder does better than NHRA multimillion dollar broadcast team? Lets get the announcers on the starting line and lets get REAL Drag Racing on the air!! The most audiocentric, exciting sport on Earth and in 2024 they STILL can't figure out how to broadcast it. Beyond comprehension

Playing this video @ low volume on my computer sounds amazing. Playing @ medium volume on my Martin Logan Quests sounds like I am @ the strip. How can NHRA POSSIBLY be as stupid as they are when it comes to broadcasting car audio? A camcorder does better than NHRA multimillion dollar broadcast team? Lets get the announcers on the starting line and lets get REAL Drag Racing on the air!! The most audiocentric, exciting sport on Earth and in 2024 they STILL can't figure out how to broadcast it. Beyond comprehension
Nhratv is even worse,id subscribe if we could have the option of just car soumds and graphics,but no we have to have announcers that almost blow out your ears,should be the reverse way lol

The announcing on NHRA.TV ranges from excellent(Lohnes calling super stock elims at Indy, Galvan calling top dragster) to awful (track announcer's trite worn out jokes, the DJ guy). Hannah and Joe are very good.

The sound on NHRA.tv was really good this past weekend at Firebird Motorsports Park. I think they may have worked out the issue with the sound.

The announcing on NHRA.TV ranges from excellent(Lohnes calling super stock elims at Indy, Galvan calling top dragster) to awful (track announcer's trite worn out jokes, the DJ guy). Hannah and Joe are very good.
I cant believe the dj is back again this year? Such a waste,almost like the annoyimg geico guys that neber shut up lol

The sound on NHRA.tv was really good this past weekend at Firebird Motorsports Park. I think they may have worked out the issue with the sound.
Thats good to know,im not subscribing until i know that soumd is perm. I wouldnt be surprised if it goes back to crappy sound this weekend??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back