Camrie Accident (1 Viewer)

Leebone

Nitro Member
She had a bad start to her run, then took her foot off the gas and was just coasting. Then she pulled her chutes and smacked into both walls. How did THAT happen? I'm glad she's okay.

She had a bad start to her run, then took her foot off the gas and was just coasting. Then she pulled her chutes and smacked into both walls. How did THAT happen? I'm glad she's okay.
That was a very strange crash. She was going 140, clearly she was annoyed at the car about half track. If you look at the replay, however you can get the replay, just before the chutes pop out you see smoke under the rear tires. It’s almost like the brakes locked up. I don’t get it. Maybe she was so pissed that she stomped on the throttle or on the brakes. That seems unlikely. No idea what happened. It looked slow from the top end camera, but remember she was going 140.

Last edited:
sounded to me from NHRA.tv feed that she got back into throttle - at least some? quite strange what happened with the car.

I have watched it several times and the beginning of the run is just car audio. Just after the 1-2 shift she got out of it and then immediately gave the throttle a blip (like they do when pre-staging). Nothing out of the ordinary. By the 330 markers she was clearly coasting and I did not see her get back in the throttle at all. The smoke from the rear tires came after she coasted across the finish line. It had to be brakes or a driveline issue as I don't think a pro stock car applying the throttle at speed would instantly light the tires and turn the car into the wall. I have not seen a follow-up interview or analysis.

Last edited:
She got to about 330' and lifted for about a second or two and then rolled back into it, maybe not all the way down but definitely had some throttle in it.

She got to about 330' and lifted for about a second or two and then rolled back into it, maybe not all the way down but definitely had some throttle in it.
You are probably right. She wouldn't have been doing 140+ if she was just coasting from the point of the 1-2 shift. With most of the Pro Stock runs that are aborted early, the driver gives it a bit of throttle to clear the track. My point would be that the rear tires absolutely locked up after the finish line. I don't think it was related to throttle. Even with braking, when the driver "over-brakes (look at some of the old videos when they first introduced carbon brakes to Pro Stock) it causes a loss of control but not the instant tire-blazing she had.

You are probably right. She wouldn't have been doing 140+ if she was just coasting from the point of the 1-2 shift. With most of the Pro Stock runs that are aborted early, the driver gives it a bit of throttle to clear the track. My point would be that the rear tires absolutely locked up after the finish line. I don't think it was related to throttle. Even with braking, when the driver "over-brakes (look at some of the old videos when they first introduced carbon brakes to Pro Stock) it causes a loss of control but not the instant tire-blazing she had.
Maybe motor looked up, hope she’s ok

Oh man, she was on the broadcast this evening during the finals. Her leg is in a cast and she's on crutches. That explains why there wasn't a top end interview after the crash. God Speed Camrie. Get well soon!

Oh man, she was on the broadcast this evening during the finals. Her leg is in a cast and she's on crutches. That explains why there wasn't a top end interview after the crash. God Speed Camrie. Get well soon!
OK……did they ask her what happened? (Asking for us poor folks without cable or streaming. 😔)

I was there and she definitely had some throttle action going til the stripe. I was watching and about to look away when I suddenly see the car smack the wall and smack the other wall, it was quite surprising and scary. I think that a pro stock transmission is a true clutch less transmission which basically forces the car into neutral under deceleration, like they don’t have to hit the clutch pedal at the top end. If that’s correct, the motor locking up wouldn’t cause the wheels to lock.

I was there and she definitely had some throttle action going til the stripe. I was watching and about to look away when I suddenly see the car smack the wall and smack the other wall, it was quite surprising and scary. I think that a pro stock transmission is a true clutch less transmission which basically forces the car into neutral under deceleration, like they don’t have to hit the clutch pedal at the top end. If that’s correct, the motor locking up wouldn’t cause the wheels to lock.
That was still a very strange crash. It’s bad that she had a broken leg, I did not expect that from that crash. I’m confused about whether she was out of gear and put it into gear by mistake, or it was in gear, and she didn’t know it and hit the gas. Whatever the case, I don’t like when cars crash. At my local dragstrip, I used to cringe whenever cars would crash. And all of the Lookie-loos would run down and take pictures of the damage. It’s just bad form.

Last edited:
sounded to me from NHRA.tv feed that she got back into throttle - at least some? quite strange what happened with the car.
She got off the throttle at what appeared to be 450-500 feet or so, at which time she would have been going about 140mph. No way she would have coasted through at 142 had she not got back in it. I didn't see the car dip in the front, nor did I see any front tire smoke when the rears lit up - to me, indicating something other than the rear brakes locking. She would likely have known that right away yet in her interview she said "We don't know", which probably means NHRA impounded the car like they did after Angie Smith's big crash. My money is on the differential coming apart and locking up.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back