Best drag racing comment ever? (1 Viewer)

Professor Dave

Nitro Member
The following line was written by Dan Bennett on dragracecentral.com during the second round of Pro Stock qualifying last night.

I have a feeling this field is going to have more movement than a coffee can full of nightcrawlers.

The best drag racing comment I've ever heard came from a top end interview with Shirley Muldowney, when she and Garlits were regularly competing against one another. She was known to normally use those interviews to put Don down. However, and I cannot remember the race, track or year it was made, the remark came in an interview after she won the race, and was asked to comment on Big for one reason or another. Her answer went something like this......"Don Garlits? What can I say. He IS drag racing !"

The best drag racing comment I've ever heard came from a top end interview with Shirley Muldowney, when she and Garlits were regularly competing against one another. She was known to normally use those interviews to put Don down. However, and I cannot remember the race, track or year it was made, the remark came in an interview after she won the race, and was asked to comment on Big for one reason or another. Her answer went something like this......"Don Garlits? What can I say. He IS drag racing !"

Do you remember the time that Shirley said something to the effect of that Garlits was a marginal driver at best? I used to love hearing that kind of stuff coming out of her mouth. I'm not really sure why .....

JOHN FORCE

"It's just like the old days when I was match racing down here with Raymond Beadle and Kenny Bernstein," said Force. "I sucked back then. I just worked my way back to sucking again."

GARY SCELZI ON MEMPHIS

"The only good thing about this place is leaving." <<<< said it on the record

Do you remember the time that Shirley said something to the effect of that Garlits was a marginal driver at best? I used to love hearing that kind of stuff coming out of her mouth. I'm not really sure why .....

I don't remember her saying that specifically, but I do remember she said some not so nice things about him on air.

That's why the one about him being drag racing stuck in my mind I guess.

"Don't ever refer to him as my team mate again"

"Tony Schumacher is not the man to beat; Alan Johnson is"

"Aw no, Beeg Jeeem will be veeewy mad; he tell me not to leeeft" (Kenji Okazaki)

"You could tie a piece of 4 by 8 plywood up there and it wouldn't make a difference" (Dicko regarding no downforce at Denver)

For me it is:

"We suck." -Dick LaHaie, on describing a string of losses the team was on at the time.

Dick Lahaie is the man.
:cool:

A long respected tuner, who's car was not qualified going into the last session over the last weekend. Goes out with his new driver and bumps all the way to #1 qualifier. Then walks up and says, "Qualifying #1 at an IHRA race is like goin' to a hog f**k"......I almost died laughin'.

All three of my favorites are ones that Frank Oglesby posted in different places on another board. They are:

#1 "The best line about backsiding I ever heard came from Larry Fullerton--I said how is it going Larry?---He replied "Well on the last run I backsided everything except the f###ing weight bar and I haven't check it yet"

#2 "I don't want to give the impression I have all the answers as the B*tch Goddess of Nitro has ways of humbling all of us at times---As the ACE one time told me "When you are on nothing matters and when you're off nothing helps"

#3 "....and as my buddy Rapid Roy Harris used to say "There is more than one way to skin a cat BUT the cat don't like none of them"---Frank"

Gary Scelzi, after the 1997 Winternationals in a tire-smoking battle with Joe Amato: "We had a little too much sugar in the pie."

In an interview I did with John Force for an Australian magazine back in the early 90s when he was talking about how much money he paid himself verses what he paid Coil, Fedderly and crew...

"I not doing this for the money, I'm just doing this to become an American hero" ...

I believe he may just have succeeded!

I was talking to Alan Bradshaw a few years ago at Ennis, we were hanging out in the Hartmans pit, He had just gotten his T/F liscense in Reading driving one of the Hartmans cars a few weeks earlier, He said before his run Virgil told him it was set up to run a 4.90, He ripped a 4.63 and at the top end Virgil just looked at him and said, with a grin "just shows you how much I know".

Big Daddy from the late 80s after suffering a tranny failure.

"That transmission was brand new, new parts need to be massaged, I hate new parts."

"Powerade, we put it in the pipes, we put it in the injector - everything. Everywhere that Syntec won't fit we put powerade. Well, I got everbody laughing I'll tell you the truth....."
-Eric Medlen

"I thought, man did I shut this thing off early, for the first time...ever!"

-Gordie Bonin after narrowly defeating Al Hofmann to win the `94 Mid South Nationals

"We're breeding the next generation of drivers" -John shortly after Robert's debut. He laughed after he realized what he'd said.

"We're breeding the next generation of drivers" -John shortly after Robert's debut. He laughed after he realized what he'd said.

How about that whole deal about John Force and putting "pigs" through oil pipelines? :D Not to mention that he used it to defend a comment about dropping cats!

"God! (looking up at the sky) Well, it was 40% till I got to 1000 foot, then I cut you back to 10"

John Force, I don't remember where.lol.

"The car when up, up, and over and I came down---hi honey!"

Scott Kallita after his blowover in Gainseville, which gave Blaine Johnson his first top fuel win. He was giving the interview and then his wife ran up to him.

"I used to think that all Super Comp drivers were three feet tall with shiney head, and then they got out of the cars, and took off their helmets"

Alan Reinhart

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back