Ashley's incident... (1 Viewer)

Randy,

Gotta remember, the clutch timers may have been still working to where the clutch was locked up. At that point, I doubt the brake would hold it. That's just a guess on my part.

The tires will spin at idle no problem, espically with the clutch out. Also, the brake will keep the back tires from spinning with the clutch out. Ever seen a warm up? The tires will even roll with the clutch in <pre stage to stage>. She did get on the brakes when the car was going backwards it looked like to me. The back tires suddenly quit turning, and the car stopped because the front brakes were on.

Seems to me all rookies struggle at some point. She is no different. Ashley has had issues this year, for sure .. but at least no one has lined up next to her with side view mirrors taped to their car. :D

btw.. Hi ya'll .. wanted to be friendly, since it is my first post.

The clutch timers only work when your on the throttle.

Thanks, Tony...Like I said, it was a guess on my part. But then again, how long was she in and out of the throttle? No clue as to what affect that has on the timers, but, I will certainly take your word bro.

The main thing is she is OK...!!!!!!!!!!!! Now for DAD, that's another story. :D

Good luck to you and the Zizzo team.

Last edited:
Fact: A Funny Car accelerates quicker and faster than anything most of us have ever had the opportunity to experience.
Translation: If you ain't tried it, don't act like you know what you're talking about.

Fact: Rookies make mistakes. I watched as Eric Medlen did it as a rookie (though he avoided contact w/ the wall); I watched when Robert Hight did it as a rookie (though he too avoided contact with the wall); I watched when Brandon Bernstein did it in Top Fuel and thankfully he was ultimately alright, though he scared the heck out of us; I watched when Erica Enders and Jason Line did it in Pro Stock - and they went turtle... I could go on and on.
Translation: Rookie pitchers occasionally hang curve balls out over the plate and watch them sail over the center field wall. Rookie quarterbacks occasionally throw interceptions that cost their team the game. Rookie hockey goalies sometimes leave the five-hole open a split second too long and give up the game winner... Rookie fuel pilots sometimes lose control of their mounts. It was a rookie mistake, get over it - she will and she'll learn from it - just like the stick and ball guys do.

Fact: She walked away without so much as a headache.
Translation: Thank you God (and Eric Medlen) for teaching the mortals how to make the cars we love safer.

Fact: Ashley Force has received more media attention than any rookie in the history of NHRA Championship Drag Racing.
Translation: If she were anyone else, we would have already buried this dead and over kicked horse.

Last edited:
Plain and simple, Ashley got back in it when she shouldnt have. Hind sight is always 20/20, and she realized that afterwards, but until you have been in a high horsepower car like a funny car and been through the same situation, I dont feel anyone has the right to judge anyone, because fact is, nobody can say what they would have done or what they should have done until they have been through the same thing. Sure, I agree, she made a rookie mistake, but I cant say I wouldnt have done the same thing. I have tested the waters in a pro mod car and let me tell you, when it starts to do something out of the norm, your brain only has a second to react, and when the guy in the other lane is having the same problem as you are, such as smoking the tires in this case, your competitive instinct says do what you have to to get there first. And thats exactly what she did, she mashed the throttle when she seen Kenny was in trouble, sure she done it at a time she shouldnt have, but she will learn from that. I really dont feel anyone who has never been in this situation or ever even been behind the wheel of a race car should be bashing someone elses driving, whether she made a mistake or not, the best thing to do is keep your mouth shut, there is a difference between constructive critisism and someone who thinks they know how to drive from their computer chair bashing someone, just my 2 cents

Plain and simple, Ashley got back in it when she shouldnt have. Hind sight is always 20/20, and she realized that afterwards, but until you have been in a high horsepower car like a funny car and been through the same situation, I dont feel anyone has the right to judge anyone, because fact is, nobody can say what they would have done or what they should have done until they have been through the same thing. Sure, I agree, she made a rookie mistake, but I cant say I wouldnt have done the same thing. I have tested the waters in a pro mod car and let me tell you, when it starts to do something out of the norm, your brain only has a second to react, and when the guy in the other lane is having the same problem as you are, such as smoking the tires in this case, your competitive instinct says do what you have to to get there first. And thats exactly what she did, she mashed the throttle when she seen Kenny was in trouble, sure she done it at a time she shouldnt have, but she will learn from that. I really dont feel anyone who has never been in this situation or ever even been behind the wheel of a race car should be bashing someone elses driving, whether she made a mistake or not, the best thing to do is keep your mouth shut, there is a difference between constructive critisism and someone who thinks they know how to drive from their computer chair bashing someone, just my 2 cents

The post of the year right there!!!!

Even though it was idling, the tires would not spin if she were on the brakes. My point is that I'm not real sure how "composed" she really was. I would think the brake handle would be one of the first things that you would grab. Other than that, I think she did a great job of getting out of it quickly.
There may not have been any brakes, if you watch the seqeunce, the rear wheel broke also, may have taken the back brake cylinder out, hence no brakes on that side????

Really?? That's an interesting piece of information.. Then why does the clutch go ahead and lockup during a pedal fest if the timers don't work unless at WOT??
Because the clutch still works mostly off the Primary levelers/weight and those levelers are never on the throwout bearing.

...now that I have some more time...the further you go down the track at WOT, the more the cannon moves back allowing the throwout bearing to apply the secondary levelers/weight.

Last edited:
I am glad to see Ashley is not hurt...BUT...w/ this situation is anyone really surprised?? Ray G--That was no veteran move...She was not in any control..basically a wasted/wrecked race car...
Good thing she had another frame in the trailer....

That's why they're called rookies.
And that's how they become veterans. Geez.

I'll add my thanks to God that she is ok. And, my prayers for John, Laurie and Brittany & Courtney. It had seem like an eternity for that sequence to play out before their eyes.

Last edited:
Ashley is trying to win rounds and yes, she did get back on the pedal too soon but the fact remains that she is not frightened by the car. After the incident she was probably the most composed of those at the scene. She knew exactly what she did wrong and was more than willing to admit it. It is all part of the learning process.
Remember that although she is in her first season in what is one of the hardest vehicles to drive she also has one of the baddest hot rods on the planet. Unlike most start out drivers she is not driving a car that will barely make the show under normal conditions so things are a little closer to the edge for her.
She was obviously aware of what was happening after hitting the wall as she did everything that she could --brake, fuel shut off, fire bottles --to save what was already a bad situation. I have not had time to frame by frame the video but the wheel spin could have been induced by a couple of scenarios. Either her foot bounced on the pedal due to the actions of the car or she had already hit the fuel shut off and the motor flared before quitting. With at least the primary and secondary clutch levers engaged by that point no amount of brake would have stopped the wheels any quicker.
I am lucky to know her personally (I have known her dad for 30 plus years) and she is the real deal and hopefully will be the sport's first female F/C champ sometime in the (not too distant) future.

Roo

I'm completely in love with Ashley Force. I wish I were younger, and she didn't have a boyfriend. :)

I am thankful that Ashley is alright and that the new safety features that have been put into place did their job. Thank you to all the people that helped in the designing and implementation of those devices.

The only way to become the best that you can be is to learn from your mistakes. Remember, you all had to walk before you could run! I am sure everyone out there had plenty of boo-boos as a kid! Lighten up!

I'm impressed with the fact that she kept her foot in it. Shows to me she's a real competitor. Sure must suck for her to have a mistake played out and scrutinized like this though. Gotta take the good with that bad though and there will be a lot of good in the near future.

On the video though, is it just me or should John try to become a little less emotional. I guess given the year he's had it's hard not to become so fearful but as a dad myself I know I try to be calm when dealing with my kids accidents in an attempt to reasure all's ok.

Because the clutch still works mostly off the Primary levelers/weight and those levelers are never on the throwout bearing.

...now that I have some more time...the further you go down the track at WOT, the more the cannon moves back allowing the throwout bearing to apply the secondary levelers/weight.

Sheeesh... You act like you know a thing or two about that subject.

;)

Go team Zizzo.
(and thanks for that explanation)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back