WJ Vents (1 Viewer)

As far as the track prep is concerned it's a tough issue to resolve. One of the big problems the fuel cars have is the tires chunking. When huge chunks of rubber get pulled out of the tire it inevitably leads to more tire failures which causes real bad things to happen. The more 'bite' the track has the more chunking occurs. How do you combat this if you're the NHRA? You don't make the last part of the track as sticky as the first. With the amount of down force the fuel car's big wings are creating this only puts more and more stress on the tires as the car travels down the strip.

Conversely the non-nitro cars need the track to be consistently sticky all the way down. Because of this NHRA is in a tough situation. Make the track really 'tight' all the way down and risk the fuel tires failing more often but keeping all the other cars safer, or make the track safer for the fuel cars and put the rest of racers in a little more danger. I think this is where WJ gets his gripe. He looks at it from a pure numbers standpoint. Make the track perfect for the 1-2% (Nitro) or make the track perfect for the other 98-99%? It's definitely a tough balancing act especially since the 1-2% are the real crowd favorites and the money makers.

As for the shutdowns, if the tracks are not able to extend their shutdown area why not build up? Bring in tons of dirt or whatever and make the shutdown uphill like Bandimere. I don't have any mathematical numbers to back me up but I have to believe if tracks like Pomona and E-Town had an uphill shutdown area it could only help.

Here is a more radical idea I had after looking at some of my uncle’s old drag racing pictures. In the old days they actually had rolling structures built into the ground behind the burnout boxes to help start the cars so you didn’t have to push start them. Why can’t something like that be built in the shutdown area? Some sort of rubber tires or treadmill type surface spinning in the opposite direction so when the vehicle tires come in contact with it, it helps slow the vehicle down.

To add one more thing to this issue....

Who are two of the biggest sponsors in the P/S class?

And how many races do these sponsors put money into?

How do you think these sponsors would feel if the cars that have thier sponsorship money invested in, can't get on the track to get TV/air time and/or are put into unsafe racing condition by the organiztion that they pour money into?

Basically the NHRA was saying piss on the racers and piss on Jegs and Summit....that is some poor PR work on national TV. :rolleyes:

Why can’t something like that be built in the shutdown area? Some sort of rubber tires or treadmill type surface spinning in the opposite direction so when the vehicle tires come in contact with it, it helps slow the vehicle down.

You would be opeing a whole other can of worms with something like that....the forces against the tires would more than likey cause even more damage...

The uphill idea is not a bad idea, except Pomona is so short that the uphill wouldn't be an advantage over what they have. Similar to Englishtown, just way too short and no flexibility at the top end. As far as I can tell, I'm not sure moving the starting line back is an option either. :confused:

Racing to 1320 ft will soon be just a memory. Track prep will no longer be an issue. Just my opinion.

You know not of what you speak. Seattle is one of the longer tracks out there. Over 700' longer than Pomona. Should NHRA stop going to Pomona?

FYI---I used the word SUB-STANDARD. I said nothing about length in that statement. And I am basing my comments on the thoughts of those who have raced there. The issue with this track seems to be bumps and not shut down area. And to answer your question, if Pomona were a sub-standard track and racers were constantly crashing and being injured, and the problem could not be corrected, then YES they should stop going to Pomona.

Last edited:
I'm a WJ fan and appreciate the passion he has for the sport but I have one question: has WJ ever ran a TF or FC? If not, he has NO right to criticize and throw the fuel cars under the bus when it's not their fault that the track wasn't up to the PS guys standards. I'd like to see Warren strap in and make a full pass in a fuel car and then open his mouth again.

Me too!

Boy WJ sure is showing his True colors now that he doesn't win like he used to. He complains about anything anymore, wonder what his sponsor thinks seeing him Rant like that?

I know it isn't popular, but I agree. I think all classes should go to 1000'

Hate to sound like a broken record, I say only Nitro goes 1000' and everybody else goes 1/8, the only people that won't like it are the northern racers who like 1/4 mile racing, the Southern guys would be all happy with it.

The world does revolve around nitro cars and they realize this.

I think NHRA revolves around nitro, not the world. But, I believe we're on the same wavelength, just expressed differently.

Also, I think zMAX Dragway could find its niche if key people are paying attention to what's going on. Why not try TF, FC, TAD, TAFC, and PM on 1000' and PS, PSM, and rest of sportsman on 1320. Or, to make it more clear John Force Grandstand side 1000' lanes with the other side 1320', and prep each set of lanes accordingly. There's enough time that this could be implemented for the Carolinas Nats, PS and PSM teams have usable data for the other side of the track.

I know it isn't popular, but I agree. I think all classes should go to 1000'

Then lets just do away with drag racing altogether. The only thing that makes the nitro cars tollerable at 1000' is the noise.
I don't seem to remember back in the 80's when the nitro cars were running 260 to 280 mph people being killed by catch nets, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but any more classes go to 1000' ft and I'm gone forever.

Hate to sound like a broken record, I say only Nitro goes 1000' and everybody else goes 1/8, the only people that won't like it are the northern racers who like 1/4 mile racing, the Southern guys would be all happy with it.

Right, go 1/8 mile and watch the stands really be empty.

That would be NHRA's Waterloo if they ever did that!

Boy WJ sure is showing his True colors now that he doesn't win like he used to. He complains about anything anymore, wonder what his sponsor thinks seeing him Rant like that?

It has nothing to do with winning,it means survival in the truest sense. Was Anderson,Krisher,Allen Johnson bit$hin too? WJ just happened to be the one in front of the camera when it came to a head.

Joe, check Comp Plus, Arlene responded in great detail to your post.

It has nothing to do with winning,it means survival in the truest sense. Was Anderson,Krisher,Allen Johnson bit$hin too? WJ just happened to be the one in front of the camera when it came to a head.

But Anderson explained the situation as the Pro stock drivers see it, he didn't go on a Rant about NHRA just caring for Fuel cars that anybody can drive! That's just whining....:rolleyes:

But Anderson explained the situation as the Pro stock drivers see it, he didn't go on a Rant about NHRA just caring for Fuel cars that anybody can drive! That's just whining....:rolleyes:

WJ didn't sugar coat it like GA did. Allen Johnson was straight and to the point also. One of the other P/S drivers said it was time to bring back the famous Larry Morgan t-shirts that said ""YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back