WJ Vents (1 Viewer)

Two years ago at Seattle, just after 1000' was implemented, our good friend Steve Iverson was nearly killed in a Super Comp car. He had to be cut from the car, it took the better part of a half-hour, and he was in the hospital for months. S/C had been called to the lanes immediately following a fuel session and when he and the other drivers hit all the clutch dust and other crap in the last 320' they said it was like racing on ice. NHRA had done a cursory pass on the track but failed to make it out that far.

There may be an argument for some tracks at 1000' and some at 1320'. There may be an argument for slowing cars down so they can all run 1320'. But there just isn't a good argument for having two different tracks on the same surface that varies by class. Heck even the timing people get screwed up now and then.

Two years ago at Seattle, just after 1000' was implemented, our good friend Steve Iverson was nearly killed in a Super Comp car. He had to be cut from the car, it took the better part of a half-hour, and he was in the hospital for months. S/C had been called to the lanes immediately following a fuel session and when he and the other drivers hit all the clutch dust and other crap in the last 320' they said it was like racing on ice. NHRA had done a cursory pass on the track but failed to make it out that far.

There may be an argument for some tracks at 1000' and some at 1320'. There may be an argument for slowing cars down so they can all run 1320'. But there just isn't a good argument for having two different tracks on the same surface that varies by class. Heck even the timing people get screwed up now and then.

On the money Chris!!!
You too JR!!!

Everyone was *****ing about the NHRA making them add more wing after Phoenix.. maybe they're going fast enough to need it.

I say this again, With the deaths of Neal Parker and now Mark Niver, 1320 Drag racing in the NHRA is over, It's time for NHRA to take a page out of Kenny Nowling's book and go all 1/8 mile (Even Comp-Super Street) except the Nitro cars that do 1000, just so the fans can still get to see the 300+ MPH numbers on the scoreboards. the 1320 era was fun and had a hell of a lot of history for almost 60 years, but I say it's time to close that book and focus on a new saga. Maybe 1/8 Mile racing will save $$$ and hassle for all the little teams who go on a shoestring budget and can't afford any damage to their cars in this economy.

Has PS had these issues forever, or is this a new thing? What makes the track dangerous? Is it unique to Pacific Raceways or is it every track? Is it a strategic bump? Is it track preparation?

Have these cars gotten so close to the edge that unless the track is as flat as glass and perfect the cars are going to go over? Isnt varying tracks part of the game? Is the driver and team putting themselves at risk by tuning so close to the edge? Shouldn't it be up to the team to set up the car so that it is safe?

Why is it NHRA can create rules for every component of a race car and mandate compliance or that car is not allowed to compete? Why is it NHRA can create rules for drivers starting with a physical examination with doctor’s signature that he/she is healthy enough and ending with nearly every stitch of clothing they wear or he/she can not compete? But when it comes to rules regarding the condition or quality of the racing surface there are no rules? When questioned on this the racers are told if you don’t like it, don’t race.

NHRA has become just like Congress. Willing to impose rules on everyone but themselves.

At an event where we lost one driver and nearly had an incident with another you would think everyone at every level of NHRA would be hypersensitive about safety. But after hearing Graham Light’s remarks the opposite seems to be true.

Wally Parks founded NHRA with the motto “Dedicated to Safety”. 60 years ago he saw the need for organization due to the dangerous activities of racers competing in unsafe conditions. I wonder how he would have handled the Pro Stock teams when they voiced their concern about the quality of the racing surface? I doubt that he would have agreed with Mr. Light’s “The Show Must Go On” response.

I'm a WJ fan and appreciate the passion he has for the sport but I have one question: has WJ ever ran a TF or FC? If not, he has NO right to criticize and throw the fuel cars under the bus when it's not their fault that the track wasn't up to the PS guys standards. I'd like to see Warren strap in and make a full pass in a fuel car and then open his mouth again.

That's what I'm saying.

Has PS had these issues forever, or is this a new thing? What makes the track dangerous? Is it unique to Pacific Raceways or is it every track? Is it a strategic bump? Is it track preparation?

Have these cars gotten so close to the edge that unless the track is as flat as glass and perfect the cars are going to go over? Isnt varying tracks part of the game? Is the driver and team putting themselves at risk by tuning so close to the edge? Shouldn't it be up to the team to set up the car so that it is safe?

Personally I think that NHRA may figure out a way to SLOW the pro-stocks down so that they are safe with the 1,000' good track and the 320' remainder. They will probably figure it is cheaper for NHRA to not prep the last 320' of the track and slow down the cars. Just my 2 cents.

Rick

I say this again, With the deaths of Neal Parker and now Mark Niver, 1320 Drag racing in the NHRA is over, It's time for NHRA to take a page out of Kenny Nowling's book and go all 1/8 mile (Even Comp-Super Street) except the Nitro cars that do 1000, just so the fans can still get to see the 300+ MPH numbers on the scoreboards. the 1320 era was fun and had a hell of a lot of history for almost 60 years, but I say it's time to close that book and focus on a new saga. Maybe 1/8 Mile racing will save $$$ and hassle for all the little teams who go on a shoestring budget and can't afford any damage to their cars in this economy.

Not clear that 1/8th mile would've saved Mark. He wasn't going that fast when he hit the net. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Fix the track prep (pro stock). Fix the catch system (Niver).

If we're going to go 1/8th mile why not have a 60' contest? Or just a burnout contest?

I'm a WJ fan and appreciate the passion he has for the sport but I have one question: has WJ ever ran a TF or FC? If not, he has NO right to criticize and throw the fuel cars under the bus when it's not their fault that the track wasn't up to the PS guys standards. I'd like to see Warren strap in and make a full pass in a fuel car and then open his mouth again.

I would say that if I had just danced around on BB's at 200 miles per hour and hoped I could keep my $150k race car off the guard rail, there is no telling what might have poured out of my mouth. WJ probably felt the same way. Also wonder what Gordie Rivera and the Mt View Tire guys were thinking yesterday also. And like Ron Krisher said, he has already sacrificed one car up there.

Or just quit going to the markets where the tracks are obvously sub-standard for running at the current speeds. Eighth mile came into being because tracks were too short at the local level for the faster cars. Two local tracks went to eighth from quarter mile many years ago, and their local racers were nowhere near 200 MPH speeds. Still they were too short to stop safely. If sponsors insist on running these short tracks, then maybe consider eighth mile only at these stops. Seems to work fine for ADRL.

Or just quit going to the markets where the tracks are obvously sub-standard for running at the current speeds. Eighth mile came into being because tracks were too short at the local level for the faster cars. Two local tracks went to eighth from quarter mile many years ago, and their local racers were nowhere near 200 MPH speeds. Still they were too short to stop safely. If sponsors insist on running these short tracks, then maybe consider eighth mile only at these stops. Seems to work fine for ADRL.

You know not of what you speak. Seattle is one of the longer tracks out there. Over 700' longer than Pomona. Should NHRA stop going to Pomona?

Not clear that 1/8th mile would've saved Mark. He wasn't going that fast when he hit the net. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Fix the track prep (pro stock). Fix the catch system (Niver).

If we're going to go 1/8th mile why not have a 60' contest? Or just a burnout contest?

but more time to stop or slow it down enough to make the turn cleanly.

is there a Wall at pomona like e-town has?

Eventually (after the catch systems), I believe so.

To everyone: All of these "how long is", "can it be extended", etc. questions are easily answered for yourself with a quick trip to mapquest, or google maps. They have sat photos that are fun to look at. Troll around looking at the tracks on the tour, very enlightening. You could land a 747 that had no brakes on Gainesville...

Did I miss something ? To me the whole deal boiled down to NHRA not wanting to buy another drum to spray the last 320'. Stupid for NHRA to even argue, spray the whole 1320.

Did I miss something ? To me the whole deal boiled down to NHRA not wanting to buy another drum to spray the last 320'. Stupid for NHRA to even argue, spray the whole 1320.
I think the issue is more about chunking the Nitro Tires when they shut down on sprayed tracks, and not about being cheap or stupid............

This sounds like the best use of 4 lane tracks: one pair for 1000 ft racing and the other pair for 1320 ft racing. The tracks get prepped however is best for the cars using those lanes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back