Will Jim Jannard return? (3 Viewers)

i believe one of the guys shown modeling shades on website is john john florence :cool:

Last edited:
I know I should care about someone spending money in drag racing, but after I learned that he was fully aware of Lance Armstrong's blatant cheating, yet still continued to not only support him, but threaten an employee that also knew to silence her, I hope to never hear his name mentioned in racing of any kind again. Money doesn't excuse his behavior.

Another version of Jim Jannard. Jannards Oakley company and Armstrong both had the same health care company. When Lance was diagnosed with cancer the insurer was going to drop him. Jannard told the insurer he would pull his companies policy if they didnt make good and continue to provide health care to Armstrong. They did.

During Armstrongs tenure racing there were constant raids at all the various team hotels for cheating and methods to do so. It was common place. I certainly don't condone cheating and Armstrong pushed back hard to cover it which put it even in a more negative light.

In the end, you just supported my statement, he'll do whatever is needed to protect someone like Lance, while at the same time, use that same power to ruin a lady just trying to make a living. Integrity and honesty matter.

Everyone has done something in their life at least once to protect a friend or a business interest. Jannard is no different and I don’t judge him too harshly for that.

My beef with Jannard is that he was the big force behind moving this board to real names, then he vanished, along with most of the other posters (particularly insiders who could not use their real names for obvious reasons).

With all of that said, if he wants back in drag racing, I don’t see a problem with it. I loved all of the Cannon/Scelzi Oakley Funny Cars and miss the trackside Rolling O store. Would be interesting to see what an innovator like him could do now with his new brand in drag racing.

I SO wish more of you here would look for the good in the people that were in or still are in drag racing. Example: years ago Dale Creasy's sister was killed in a car accident the Creasy family was trying to take their mind off of it. They decided to return to race the car again. the car was burned to the ground at that race. a short time later Jim Jannard who knew the daughter well went to the Creasy trailer with a folded check with a lot of zero's on it and walked away. he didn't have too, they weren't sponsored by him, Just a caring act by a caring person.
Larry Sutton---🤠

Last edited:
used jim's first product when i was a kid. raced and won with his bmx grips.
to have a die-cut OAKLEY decal on your helmet or bike back then was waaaaay cool.
still have my red frogskins too that i bought at a bike shop way back in the 80's.
would be cool to see M-Xperiment get into shoes. i think O had the market cornered for shoes you
would see being worn by team members in the pits. i would think they could dominate again with some black shoe designs.

to have a die-cut OAKLEY decal on your helmet or bike back then was waaaaay cool.
still have my red frogskins too that i bought at a bike shop way back in the 80's.
would be cool to see M-Xperiment get into shoes. i think O had the market cornered for shoes you
would see being worn by team members in the pits. i would think they could dominate again with some black shoe designs.
Wish I had all those grips I went through. They seem to be worth quite a bit now.

I became a fan of Jim's old company back in the early 90's. I raced motocross and was a decent B rider. But in July 1991 at Kenworthy's mx track I met Louis Wellen who was the rep for Oakley. During the first moto LaRocco and Bayle went down. I told him Mike would finish in front of Jean Michel. I won and he gave me a pair of googles. After the second moto Jeff Matiasevich won the overall and was his first 250cc win. Louis walked right to his bike and grabbed his googles and gave them to me ! I would Louis see at the races and he would ask if I needed anything ? I never asked for sunglasses but would take tear-offs, and lenses. I was a loyal user of his products. Years later I ran into Jim at the Orange County airport. He was driving a lifted 4-wheel white van and his Global express plane was waiting for him. He signed my Forbes richest magazine, shook my hand and left. I still have the googles and the magazine.

Teeth were the best shoes ever. Made many trips to the Rolling O trailer.

Teeth were the best shoes ever. Made many trips to the Rolling O trailer.
same here. used to buy a pair every year at the rolling-O at bir.
teeth is offered again, as in right now on the O website. bought a pair a couple years ago. i think they are made in south america.
first pair in many years, since they were discontinued, now available again. they have some pretty good looking shoes again.

Last edited:
who and what is the story?
Stephanie McIllvain was an Oakley's Lance Armstrong liaison. She visited Lance in the hospital along with Lance's friend and teammate Frankie Andreu and his fiancé when it was discovered Lance had cancer. The Dr entered the room and asked Lance if he was on any drugs he should be aware of, Lance confirmed he was and basically read off a laundry list of banned substances that he was currently using. Frankie realized what he was hearing and got out of there quickly taking his fiancé with him. Later, when Lance was being sued in court for a bonus being withheld under accusations of cheating, Frankie and his fiancé, testified under oath that yes, they'd heard that conversation and confirmed what they'd heard. Stephanie, at the time still employed by Oakley changed her story on the stand, denying that she'd heard that. Mind you, she had a special needs child and needed her job and medical coverage, and Jannard used that against her to "adjust" her story to fit Lance's story. I think she no longer works there, so not sure where she stands now on the topic,

Wish I had all those grips I went through. They seem to be worth quite a bit now.
They are, trying to find a pair of these to restore my G-boy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-173812_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407-173812_Gallery.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 13
holy crap sean, an old G-boy, that's older than my original gjs frame w/torker forks and araya-b rims ..... still have it.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back