Why I love the Fuel cars (1 Viewer)

I remember seeing a video looking out from the pit at the crowd at the wack..the whole crowd jumped in unison...anyone else see it?

Hey Joe, Didn't mean to turn your thread into a WHACK forum. Even though you said it was a joke, I agreed with everything, including the oildowns being good for the vendors. If you are going to the WOO race, could you ask them to kindly keep thier dust in control and off the Strip. Yeah that will work! Speaking of $6 beer--Don't go near the Jack & Crown Royal booth--$24. A family of four and goodbye mister Franklin. How about another new NHRA rule--Mandatory WHACK to go with the BOGUS point system to make everything more exciting. BE THERE

AKA 1320 Bob

Yeah but a free $6 beer comes in Handy!:p

Who said anything about paying for a beer? My car will be parked in the RV corral on the GA side ... about a 2 minute walk to a trunk full of cold beer. I too like oildowns, plenty of time to get to the car and reload.

My Dad sometimes lurks on these forums ... so if you are reading this Dad ... DAMN YOU STRAIGHT TO HELL for moving back to Kentucky and taking the RV with you. We used to park the RV there Wednesday night and not leave until Monday morning .... good times.

Can't wait to see that!

I miss the whack too. The Force and Kalitta teams were still doing when I was at the Winternationals this year, and Jimmy Walsh had J.R. doing it in their warm up too.

+1

I remember Virgil had a thread on the old 'Mater explaining how in his personal experience, the 60' times were quicker on his top fuel cars when they did not seat the clutch by whacking the throttle in the pits. Personal preference from crew cheif to crew chief IMO. But whacking the throttle makes for the best show in the pits, hands down :D

Finally got the video posted. Here's the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL2irjM6F-M

Kallitta team warm ups are the best! They seem to have the wildest cams on the planet. It's Whacky!!!!:p

Us old guys miss the dry hop more than anything! For the younger crowd...after a fuel car would do their burnout and back up behind the starting line, they would check out the track/clutch setup with a "whack on the track" (new phrase coined here) :p The cars would lurch forward violently and quickly come to a stop...shuddering sometimes for a few seconds after the dry hop. Very cool and just awesome to witness. And in the old match racing days, burnouts would sometimes go past the finish line...Jungle Jim being a prime contributor to that part of a show. I like the new cars, and love building them, but I think the fans got more "show" in the old days. This is NOT a knock of the current state of drag racing just an oldtimers viewpoint :D I know technology dictates the current rituals in fuel racing. bOb

Us old guys miss the dry hop more than anything! For the younger crowd...after a fuel car would do their burnout and back up behind the starting line, they would check out the track/clutch setup with a "whack on the track" (new phrase coined here) :p The cars would lurch forward violently and quickly come to a stop...shuddering sometimes for a few seconds after the dry hop. Very cool and just awesome to witness. And in the old match racing days, burnouts would sometimes go past the finish line...Jungle Jim being a prime contributor to that part of a show. I like the new cars, and love building them, but I think the fans got more "show" in the old days. This is NOT a knock of the current state of drag racing just an oldtimers viewpoint :D I know technology dictates the current rituals in fuel racing. bOb

I remember the whack on the track. I also remember when the return road was called the fire up road and they push started the cars down the road and crew had to push the cars back to the starting line in the days before reverse. The look on the faces of the crew when the driver did a half track burn out(not happy). Fire burn outs were pretty spectacular too. As were wheelie cars side by side and the jets cars were the fastest thing out there. It was different; I don’t know that it was better. But it was a lot of fun.:D It’s safer now for the drivers and the fans. Car parts don't fly into the crowd as much any more. Ok, there was that tire that came off of Dixons car last year or the year before..........................

Dan

Last edited:

Side by side dry hops, gold-dust sprinkled on the track, AA/FA's pushin' off done the fire-up road, Weed-burners, and wacking the motor to blow garp in the other guys lane...:D not like that ever happened:rolleyes:

Speaking of Kalitta...

Kallitta team warm ups are the best! They seem to have the wildest cams on the planet. It's Whacky!!!!:p
Best experience ever in the pits for me occurred at Brainerd last year. Grubnic and Kalitta were pitted next to each other and as I was strolling thru the area, noticed the wings of both cars backed out from under the canopies. Thinking this is going to get interesting pretty soon, I stayed nearby. I stood at the back of Doug's trailer for 10 minutes or so until I saw ear plugs going in on the crewmembers. First Doug's car was started and about a minute later, Dave's car was lit. I stood there in 7th heaven, between the two cars while leaning against Doug's trailer and when they whacked the throttles twice each and nearly at the same time, it was probably not unlike what Rick Stewart gets to expereince at the starting line. Man, that was AWESOME!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back