Why I love the Fuel cars (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Because they are the fastest accelerating cars on the Planet.

They are the Loudest cars out there!

The FC's used to look like Street cars.

Plus, they help out the concession vendors during oildowns with increased sales receipts!

I agree with you Joe. FC are my favs. They are so wild and I love to see pedal matches in FC. That is fun to watch. :D

I really miss the clutch-setting WHACK. Now the fuel is shut off and the fire breathing monster dies quietly. The 75 people that I watched jump in the air at the WHACK just stand there peacfully. You could hear those big dogs barking from the parking lot and you couldn't wait to get in to snort the magic yellow cloud and hear the WHACK. I miss my WHACK.

AKA 1320 Bob

There's a handful that still do it. I have video of Del Worsham's Sunday morning warmup at Reading. When I get it downloaded, it will be on YouTube.

No whack = looser clutch pack. Less chance of smoking the tires at launch.

This thread was a joke......Having said that all the Team Kalitta cars do the Hardest Throttle whacks on the warm-ups. As do the Pedregon gang, and Team Force.

There's a handful that still do it. I have video of Del Worsham's Sunday morning warmup at Reading. When I get it downloaded, it will be on YouTube.

Can't wait to see that!

I miss the whack too. The Force and Kalitta teams were still doing when I was at the Winternationals this year, and Jimmy Walsh had J.R. doing it in their warm up too.

No whack = looser clutch pack. Less chance of smoking the tires at launch.

+1

I remember Virgil had a thread on the old 'Mater explaining how in his personal experience, the 60' times were quicker on his top fuel cars when they did not seat the clutch by whacking the throttle in the pits. Personal preference from crew cheif to crew chief IMO. But whacking the throttle makes for the best show in the pits, hands down :D

Force's cars do not do the whack ... they pull the revs up a bit for 4-5 seconds ... but no whack.

I am bringing some noobs to the races here in Vegas this weekend ... I am looking forward to indoctrinating them to the yellow cloud ... and the whack (thanks for the tip on Worsham and Todd). :)

Force's cars do not do the whack ... they pull the revs up a bit for 4-5 seconds ... but no whack.

I am bringing some noobs to the races here in Vegas this weekend ... I am looking forward to indoctrinating them to the yellow cloud ... and the whack (thanks for the tip on Worsham and Todd). :)

Chris, I've got a Beer saying team Force (Each car) does at least one Whack!

Connie Kalitta to this day insists all thier cars do 2 hits of the pedal. Supposedly it gets everything in line inside the clutch pack. Plus you can check for leaks. I guess they also consider that hopefully if there's like a loose fastener or bad gasket or sealant somewhere on the motor it will show up right then & there under torque; rather than happening after the burnout. The fans certainly love it. You have to hold those things with all your weight though; because I've seen them jump off the jacks before, which creates more work for everyone. Plus you can get hurt.

Force's cars do not do the whack ... they pull the revs up a bit for 4-5 seconds ... but no whack.......
not to play devil's advocate, but please let me stand with you rite
on the rope when force's cars 'bring the throttle up'.:rolleyes:

ck spurlock used to mention the phrase 'always remember this is entertainment' swearingen would always whack that s.o.b.!

Here is a video uploaded to youtube of Prock & Co. whacking the throttle during a Hight warm up earlier this year at Sonoma ;)

Hight warm up

EDIT: Darn you Mike, you beat me to it while I was searching my favorites on youtube! :D

Last edited:
seriously folks,
thank goodness this is a drag racing website because
although it's part of OUR vernacular,
to an outsider reading this thread, he/she might struggle
to grasp the concept of fans talking about
which drivers 'whack it';)

I experienced my first "whack" in Richmond at Eric Medlen's pit. WOW! I jumped twice as high as I did at my first fuel car launch, not because I was so much closer, but because I didn't know when it was coming. You can see the tree and know the launch is coming, but the whack - you see them holding the car, adjustiing this and that - waiting, waiting - any time now - then WHACK!

Also, on Sunday at Richmond, I think between the 2nd round and the semis, someone did a whack-whack. I think it waz Cruz, but I'm not sure.

Brett

^^ Great stuff :D You'll definitely come out of your shoes if you get caught off guard!

There are things a person can look/listen for in the pits to know when that throttle whack is coming! When you see crew members coming around to hang onto the wing on the t/f cars and leaning down on the front of the chassis on the floppers, get ready! If you listen close, you can also tell when the driver steps off of the clutch (slight rpm drop as the clutch slips)...once that happens, it'll only be a second before he blips the throttle!

All the teams have their preferred ritual, but I've never in recent years seen any team seat the clutch (for those that do so in the pits by whacking the throttle) before the basic routine is completed. Once they check the tug and reverser, and the crew cheif checks the dashboard to set the idle, etc. and people start moving out of the way and bearing their weight down on the chassis/wing struts, a nitro blast is coming! ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back