When did you first start going to full events? (1 Viewer)

There wasn't a NHRA National venue per se in Detroit when I was growing up, so I started going to a couple out of town "National Event" tracks in the mid 80's, following my friends Della Woods & Wayne Bailey - and of course Scott & Connie Kalitta. Then when I moved to Fort Worth in '88 I ran across a place called the Texas Motorplex - which I thought was heaven on earth because I lived 25 minutes away from it. Before Top Eliminator Club & Pit-side hospitality programs became en vogue, Billy Meyer had the "3 Day Super Seat" packages which was fantastic. Now, my hometown track is Bandimere; and I'm pretty much locked in on one race team in particular.... so those 3 days in July are literally a part of my life. Anyone who knows me, doesn't even question what I'm doing that week each year.

BIR - 1988
have gone as early as tuesday and as late as saturday.
arrive friday mornings recently

One day isn't enough. When my dad quit racing in the early 70s, like a like of racers, he made a bad spectator. We went to Indy in '76, from Thursday through labor Day and had a blast. In '81, we started a tradition of going every year, typically from Friday on. But now my Dad is spoiled, and will only fly in from Phoenix if I get us Top Eliminator tickets! But they are a great value, and we have a great time. I don't know if any other Northeasterners can relate to this, but going to Indy is like an emotional roller coaster. If you start early, like Thursday or Friday, by Monday morning, even though eliminations haven't even started, it's a little bit of a letdown, because a lot of racers are gone or leaving, and I swear, every year, driving back to NY on Tuesday, the weather somehow cools down to remind us that fall's coming (no matter how hot Indy was).

National Events? Just VMP... Last couple of years and the late 90's all days, missed Monday this year...

Back in the day, never when to 'National' Events... too many better ran Independent Shows... March Meet, PDA, ect, which were all multi-day events. Never went to Pomona, But was at Ontario all days for the First Event... was my first and Last NHRA national event until the late 90's...

Divisional Races in the 70's and 80's were another story:D

d'kid

I started way back in 66 or 67, My dad would take me to Onterio Motor Speedway, Also went to Orange County and Irwindale , But the Best was going to Lions Drag Strip, He use to run the Twich-a-Wee Blown Gas Fiat , That was the Real Fun Times, Now I work the races and am there 5-6 days for the event, Meet a few maters, Your all a great Bunch of friends.

Donie ,,,,, Out

1961 Winternationals--No matter what class your were in, the hot topic of the race was Dyno Don Nicholson in the new Chevy 409.

I agree with Karl that there were so many events in SoCal constantly happening, that the natioinal events were secondary. Lions, Orange County, Ontario, Irwindale, San Gabriel, Fontana, Carlsbad, Riverside and Bakersfield had 32 and 64 car nitro shows. I remember going to a 64 car Top Fuel show at the Beach and the pits and staging lanes were TF cars as far as you could see. Two hundred TF cars trying to get into the top 64 spots.

I now go to just the Vegas events in April and October. I still go to Nostalgia Nitro races in Sacramento, Boise and Bakerfield, but they are not the same as they were "In The Day" Maybe one day someone will invent the "wayback machine" and you youngsters will be able to really smell the NITRO.

2000-the Springnationals at E-town-went on Friday to watch class in stock. Since 2001, I've gone on all days that we've still been in competition.

I've been going to Sonoma since 1998, on Fridays and Sundays. Haven't missed a one since!!

Well I guess my wife and I are the noobs :). We went to the Gators this passed March for Sunday only and had on on blast. For 08, we're going Fri/Sat/Sun! For 09 I think we'll do the Top Eliminator thang :)

I believe my first full event I had to of been around 6 or 7 at the Fallnationals at Seattle. My Dad was the crew chief on a Top Fueler. Mike Palmer owned and Drove the "Palmer,Petty & Keating" car.I know I went to 2 days back when Puyallup dragstrip was around. We were at the Fallnationals every year until 1980.
I go all 3 days at Seattle now and have for many years and plan on keeping the tradition going.

Hey neighbor! Isn't it great being so close to the track. I've been living out that way since 2004. Love it. :)

Anyway, I started going for more than one day during the 2006 race in Seattle, when I was lucky enough to get tickets for the first time for Friday-Sunday -- thanks to Pedregon Racing.

Then I went Friday-Sunday in Vegas in October 2006. And even though it rained all day Friday and there wasn't the slightest bit of action this year in Seattle on Friday or Saturday, I was there Friday-Sunday. I had a press pass and there's no place I'd rather be the third weekend of July than at Pacific Raceways.

For me, I just can't get enough, I love being around the people, the crews, the drivers, the cars and each day brings something different. So, I feel practically physically compelled to be there. Sure, it wears me out, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm hoping to book my trip to the spring race in Vegas sometime in the next month. I can't wait. And I will totally buy tickets for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Hello Kris,
We are neighbors. living in Maple Valley myself. And yes it is great to live that close. I'm excited for the renovations and make over of pacific raceways to be completed.:)

2000-the Springnationals at E-town-went on Friday to watch class in stock. Since 2001, I've gone on all days that we've still been in competition.

The only springnationals I went to at E-town were in 1968.
I thought that was the only year the springnationals were contested at that facility.:confused:
Big Daddy, W. Zookeeper, RU.;)

I have been going to full events Friday thru Sunday since my first national event, Englishtown 1989 at the ripe age of 11.

I got Paul beat by 2 yrs. We started doing E-town full event in 1987. Also did 1990 Maple Grove as well, and then 1991 Ennis.

Note to Paul Wentworth: They called the E-town race the Springnationals for a few in the 90's also.

on ebay we got sunday joliet1 tickets back when tony s. just got alan johnson as crew chief - going all 3 days - really makes sunday more intense when eliminations begin .

Dad used to always go Sat. & Sun. as a spectator. Then we got tired of getting rained out on Saturdays at Maple Grove, so we began going on Fridays in 1991. A couple years ago, we cut back to Sundays only. Now I go to Maple Grove on Friday and Sunday.

I should've stated that my 1st national event I can remember was E-town in 1982. And I've been to every Maple Grove event since 1985.

Hello Kris,
We are neighbors. living in Maple Valley myself. And yes it is great to live that close. I'm excited for the renovations and make over of pacific raceways to be completed.:)

I am also keeping an eye on the track renovations. That reminds me, I need to find out where things are at with that ... permits and the like. Probably need to do a follow up story on that in the spring.

I love that my job lets me spend time at the track and get paid for it.

Indy - 1964 . . . Wednesday - Monday. I'm too old to do that now! We've done all three days at CSK since 1988. Especially enjoy Comp qualifying.
Retirement planning includes three days at both Pomona and LVMS races and CSK.

I moved to Florida in 1991. Hadn't been to a race since 1976 in Epping. I went to race day at the Gators in 93 or 4, whenever Snakes last year was. Because some girl at work was dating a guy who worked at a radio station. He always got free passes for events, and somehow I was talking to this girl and she mentioned she had the passes and they weren't going.
Well I thought shoot I should see what drag racing is like these days.
I missed first round because I had no idea how bad the traffic was in Gainesville. Oh yeah, Snake lost first round so I missed him!

I went on Friday a couple times after that - because it was only 35 bucks. And not crowded. Those were the days.

in 97 my wife and I , who I had just met, went on friday and then she said we should stay for the rest of the weekend.

well now there's a radical idea I thought.gee can we do that, is that not to indulgent? ;-)

couldn't find a place to stay, so I made sure we made reservations for 98, and I haven't missed a day since. Well one year I had to see the Sebring race on Saturday. But that's it. And I won't do that again. It's just too much driving.

Gatornationals 2004 and US Nationals 2004 are the only two full events that I've attended. Recently moved to Tri-Cities area of TN, we will be attending Thunder Valley full events now.:cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back