NHRA needs to reinvent Indy (2 Viewers)

Mike

Nitro Member
The deadline for entering the US Nationals is Monday, Aug. 28 (I believe). With 12 days to go and counting, car counts for sportsmen are way down. While there will be a few more entering, itis possible neither alcohol class will have a full field (both have 12 entries as of this post) Comp certainly won't,(11 entries) and SC/SG are also down (65 each).

As a fan and not a racer, I do not pretend to know all the reasons why, but among the reasons that seem logical are 6 days is unnecessary and is more time away from work when many racers have other responsibilities.

Some ideas: Start Thursday, finish Sunday, maybe even start final eliminations at 5 with full live pro coverage to be done by 10, including televising some of the sportsmen racing. I know Darlington is on NBC then but how much viewer crossover is there really?

Let Monday be a travel day. Also, all classes with a National Championship should be ran there. Add Top Sportsman and Top Dragster.

The current quota for SC\SG is 180. Be realistic to the times and cut to 90. Allow a quota of 40 Comp (we may not get even that many)with 32 car field, and 40 TS/TD for 32 car field.

Other ideas- have the Super classes be dark on Friday and run class eliminations for both Stock and Super Stock that day with Round 1 for all sportsmen on starting 8am Sat. morning. Pick up Round 2 8am Sunday.

Cut TAD, TAFC, Comp to 3 qualifying sessions and Pros back to 4 like everywhere else, whether they run 2 Fri/2Sat or 1 Fri/2 Sat/1 early PM Sunday.

These are just ideas that could be tweaked as there are logistical considerations, or maybe someone would have a better idea. I would hate for nothing to be done and this race lose the appeal to Sportsmen, but based on lagging entries many of these racers are voting with their feet.

What changes would YOU like to see for the US Nationals?

I disagree with most of the changes you propose. Indy is special. It is the biggest race of the year. Everyone knows it is 6 days, so they should plan accordingly. I like that everyone gets an extra qualifying shot. NHRA does need to reinvent it, but they need to make it bigger. Refurbish that facility (it badly needs it), increase the payouts, make the points count more ... Make it scream THIS IS THE BIG GO, YOU NEED TO BE HERE!!! Hype it like IndyCar does the Indy 500 and NASCAR does the Daytona 500. Make it understood that every race is important, but this race is MORE important.

The changes you propose just make Indy another National Event that happen to be called the US Nationals. YAWN.

Points for Indy have been increased back to what NHRA used to do for the race; 1.5 times a "regular" national event.
Maybe the payouts should also be increased 1.5 times those for other races.
But, the finals should continue to be run on Labor Day. That's the way it's been, and that's the way it should stay.

It will be nice seeing Ashley Sanford making her Top Fuel debut at Indy. I'm a little surprised that there are only 17 nitro funny cars on the list so far.

I disagree with most of the changes you propose. Indy is special. It is the biggest race of the year. Everyone knows it is 6 days, so they should plan accordingly. I like that everyone gets an extra qualifying shot. NHRA does need to reinvent it, but they need to make it bigger. Refurbish that facility (it badly needs it), increase the payouts, make the points count more ... Make it scream THIS IS THE BIG GO, YOU NEED TO BE HERE!!! Hype it like IndyCar does the Indy 500 and NASCAR does the Daytona 500. Make it understood that every race is important, but this race is MORE important.

The changes you propose just make Indy another National Event that happen to be called the US Nationals. YAWN.

Yes, everyone knows it is 6 days. Maybe that is one factor on why fewer sportsmen are showing up.

Agree on increasing payouts but it is already 1.5 points increase... For Pros.
Just asking- is it regular points for sportsmen?

Based on racer participation in every class except Stock and Super Stock, Indy IS just another race. I actually live in the Indy area but try to see how it is instead of how it was in the '70s.

Btw, I would say this about every race but especially Indy: What is the logic in having 5 sessions to whittle 17 FC down to 16? Assuming the alcohol classes each get 4 more entries for a full field, what purpose is served having 4 quaifying runs to eliminate not one single car?

I see the logic in giving Pro Mods 4 runs since they have 31 cars for 16 spots... The other classes, not so much.

One more comment about history- for years the Indy 500 had 4 days of qualifying. After the CART/IRL split, participation dropped, and in 2017 even after unification, they have 2 days (I think) and maybe...maybe.. one extra car to bump for 33 spots.

The point is Indy cars adapted to the reality of the times for the world's largest race. NHRA may consider doing the same.

Points for Indy have been increased back to what NHRA used to do for the race; 1.5 times a "regular" national event.
Maybe the payouts should also be increased 1.5 times those for other races.
But, the finals should continue to be run on Labor Day. That's the way it's been, and that's the way it should stay.

Actually, I remember back when Indy was double points before they reduced it to like all the other races.

Looks to me like the dwindling car counts are just a reflection of the state of the sport in general.

It's not the 6 days, it's been that way since the beginning. Most problems with participation, in all motorsports, are economic. Comp has been struggling for years, although I bet they'll still get 50+ for Indy. I remember when Pro Comp would get 100 entries for a 32 car field in the mid '70s. Comp would get close to 100, I believe, through the '90s. But using Comp as an example, those racers don't ever expect to make any money racing, no racer really can, but the payouts don't even help offset travel costs, which are a huge part of any racer's budget, regardless of class. Also, the contingency deal isn't what it used to be, just ask Dan Fletcher. Still, I really look forward to Indy, and just try to enjoy today's version of it. It's still a blast.

So based on a comment above if 16 or less cars show up, only two qualifying session should be run. No possibility of bumping anyone, why waste the money?

I have said ' this is the year to run PS, you would be in at almost every race".

Yes, NHRA stuck in the 60's, I do not "do" social media however all the youngens do. Alex has an extremely good point. The old guys like me and NHRA just do not know how to get it done, need some young blood. It is now and it is the way it is. If you do not reach them on their level, they will just go somewhere else.

the alex laughlin article is excellent..... i am guilty of not understanding or using twitter, instagram and snapchat.
all my kids use it everyday; ages in 20's.

the alex laughlin article is excellent..... i am guilty of not understanding or using twitter, instagram and snapchat.
all my kids use it everyday; ages in 20's.

You're not missing much, Mike. It basically boils down to a play by play of people's daily activities. which I found out is rather boring. I was guilty of this, too,
when I was using Facebook regularly, but I decided between the BS of others and mine own form of BS, it was time to ditch social media. Now I just follow
people on twitter and instagram for some cool photos and comedic posts.

Unpopular opinion.. I agree!

The Nationals were a week long because they were simply that.. the only National event you could go to. People came from everywhere to be there. It was a time with no lights for night racing so it all had to be done during the daylight hours. The car counts were massive because even if you were king of your local track, you made the tow to Indianapolis to see how you really stacked up against the other track kings. Now there are so many local tracks and other big events and race sanctions that it isn't nearly as important. Also there are so many different classes out there that if you're a 10.5 tire guy or Radial tire guy or Extreme Pro Mod guy or a grudge racer, Indy isn't even on your radar as being important. Unless its the PDRA or NMCA event held there.

The Indy 500 used to run on Memorial Day itself but that changed. The Indy 500 used to encompass the entire month of May for the same reason, it was the biggest. You had practice all week and 4 full days of qualifying. That has also changed to one day to set the order for everyone to go out a second time in reverse order for actual qualifying. Aside from the top 9 who are the only ones who get a shot at the pole.

The Firecracker 400 used to run on the 4th of July until 1988, no matter what day of the week it was on. When Richard Petty won his 200th with Ronald Reagan in attendance the race was run on a Wednesday. NASCAR these days are looking at short race weekends also. At recent events they have even qualified and raced on the same day. There's more on track action for the in person crowd and plenty for the on tv crowd to watch.

These days the appeal isn't what it used to be. There are still special events with the Traxxas Nitro Shootouts paying out $200,000 in 2 days! I don't think it needs to be as long as it is, but I also don't attend all days. I like the Sunday night idea. Competing against NASCAR is certainly a no-no as recent ratings have suggested, but it's a fresh idea and a good way to combat the sometimes intense Indiana heat. You could be live on FS1 or Fox in that time frame. This event does have extra points awarded, and it does have added importance of being the last race and "last chance" to make the Countdown.

You could drop Wednesday and Monday off the list. Add a qualifying session for the Pro classes on Friday. Run the Top Fuel and Funny Car Shootouts both on Saturday. Have those be back to back final rounds to close out the night. I could hear Alan on the PA already "We're about to award 2 drivers almost a quarter of a million dollars in less than 5 minutes!" Saturday night would become the last chance qualifying in perhaps the best conditions. Put that live on FS1 too! The events lately have fit in a 4 to 5 hour window on Sunday. Start first round at 4PM Sunday and be wrapped up by 9PM. Still gives the spectators a few hours to get out. 1994 was pretty cool that it ended under the lights (although due to rain). Some of the other events finished at dusk on raceday, but mostly due to lengthy delays during the day and 90 minutes between rounds. NHRA has become so much more efficient these days that everything can be streamlined.

I don't want any of this to sound like i'm a hater of tradition. I loved the 1,320 era, I loved the pre-Countdown era, etc. I just understand things have to change to keep up with the times and i'm glad there is still an NHRA to watch.

Lots of good points Dave. I remember being at Indy when TF had cars fighting to get into a 32 car field! The last year my dad ran Comp there, 1971, racers were still towing their rigs back to their hotels every night and back to the track the next morning, all 1000ish of them! Still don't know how they did that. Nothing stays the same, I'm actually surprised so much about NHRA racing HAS stayed the same for 60+ years. I myself like the fact that finals are actually on Labor Day, but that's the nostalgia in me, maybe it doesn't need to be anymore. I do agree anything that can be added or changed to make Indy standout even more special would be welcomed. Having 1 1/2 points was a good move. And, the shootouts are also a big part of it. The main thing is that, as Dave mentioned, all motorsports have had to adapt to changing times, NHRA is sometimes slow to do that. However, as I've said, to me Indy is still special, and I'm sure a huge part of that is the memories I've collected since going as a little kid.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back