When did you first start going to full events? (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
Since it's slow I figured I would start a little something.

Before '98 I was only interested in going on Sunday. Then my dad convinced me to go for the whole event. So for 6 years we would go for Fri-Sunday and in '04 we also started going on Thurday or as I call it "autograph day."

In '08 when he go to G-ville my dad and I are also staying for some testing on Monday as well.

So when did you fellow maters start going to events full time?

When Joliet was a year old. I'd met some wonderful people,T/A racers, Hiratas, Snyders and Datweilers. Then going to the races was like going to see old friends. Plus some of the TF teams, Kalitta, Baca, Skuzas made me feel welcome.
Lee
Nitroclovers

Dad used to always go Sat. & Sun. as a spectator. Then we got tired of getting rained out on Saturdays at Maple Grove, so we began going on Fridays in 1991. A couple years ago, we cut back to Sundays only. Now I go to Maple Grove on Friday and Sunday.

I NEVER go on Sunday. But it's not my fault.

ALL the racers I hang with or still fabricate stuff for either don't qualify or go out first round!

SOB!

Do the church thing on Sunday. But go Thursday, Friday, Saturday and sometimes Monday.

My first national event was Brainerd at the first in 1982. Have gone all the days of the event ever since except 1988 because I was living in Boston. '88 was the year Bernstein ran over a few crew members when he tried getting the car into reverse after his burnout. Also, the same year of the infamous Brainerd wet T-shirt contest in the Zoo that nearly speeled the end of NHRA at BIR. Decided in '96 that one event a year wasn't enough so started going to Indy, then Joliet in '98, then decided Vegas would be good too so have gone to those venues for all the days of the event. Still not enough so I'm adding Houston and Dallas next year.

I've been to the Mile High Nationals many years, but for Friday qualifying only. I love drag racing, but after 12 hours on Friday fighting crowds and traffic, I've had enough. If I was racing or had friends in the pits, it would be different.

I believe my first full event I had to of been around 6 or 7 at the Fallnationals at Seattle. My Dad was the crew chief on a Top Fueler. Mike Palmer owned and Drove the "Palmer,Petty & Keating" car.I know I went to 2 days back when Puyallup dragstrip was around. We were at the Fallnationals every year until 1980.
I go all 3 days at Seattle now and have for many years and plan on keeping the tradition going.

Welcome aboard Steve! I hate to be the one to tell you but just having your father be the crew chief on a top fueler won't be quite enough. You'll have to fund/operate/crew chief and drive your own competitive top fueler to really impress us here on the mater -- OK, so I'm another poster who is full of BS? Really welcome here, I'm sure you have some stories to tell.

I started attending National Events in 1967 at Bee Line Dragway East of Phoenix. I never attend on Sunday for the same reason as Buzzz (for some strange reason) but we catch all the races we can get to on Friday and Saturday. Those are our favorite days!

My Dad always took me when I was a kid. Friday was always my Dad's favorite day (night time qualifying, you get to see all the cars run) and remains so to this day. Now that I am grown and we live 2,000 miles apart, I still go to the whole event and Fridays are also my favorite days. So for me, going on just Sundays was never an option, it has always been an all weekend deal for me.

Growing up my Dad and I never went all 4 days of the Mile High Nationals. We always hit Thursday and Friday and maybe Saturday or Sunday if my dad didn't have to work or if he could afford it. When I finally was old enough to drive (1989) I was able to go all four days. Since I was working and could help pay for trips, we started going to Phoenix and Topeka as well. Now my wife has replaced my Dad at the races and we hill the full events in Phoenix, Denver and Vegas twice. I usually don't watch the cars run on Thursday but it is a great day for pictures in the pits and autographs.

Never really.

That is, I think I've only been to a few Sundays at a National events.

I love to go Fridays to Englishtown and Maple Grove. Friday is usually the night records are made. Pits are more open - There is just more action with every (PRO) vehicle on the premises making 2 runs and it has the "preceived benefit"*** of being cheaper.

Sunday can be a long day. The action/crowd calculation doesn't work for me.

*** How stupid is this? I schedule a cruise out of Los Angeles (I live in Connecticut) so I can get back in time to go to Saturday qualifying in Pomona. Look at the money I'm saving!

When you have to cross the Atlantic for your national event action, you make sure you are there all day, every day.
Been doing it since 1974. Just completed my 18th trip.

I have been going to full events Friday thru Sunday since my first national event, Englishtown 1989 at the ripe age of 11.

I make five to six National events a year and I go all three days, except for the Pomona races where I just go Sat. and Sun. If they didn`t have the curfew there and ran two sessions like all the other venues, then I`d be there on Fri. too. As it is, I choose to work on Fri. and fly into the Southland Fri. night.

Hell, I was already going to the races in the womb... HA HA HA.

Same here, but since I've been out of utero...We try and go as soon as they allow parking for the racer. It's really something to not only WATCH the circus unfold, but to be part of it.

I've never been to a national just to spectate and only a handful of bracket races just to spectate. Usually in those cases, I'm out there to observe a car that we sold or are thinking of buying.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back