When did you first start going to full events? (1 Viewer)

68 and 69 I went to every race at Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, Wisconsin then in 1970 went to the Winternationals in Orange county, I think that was the last year for that track.
Been going to Brainerd for since 92 and at least one other race a year, some years we get to 3 or 4.

E-Town Sat-Sun 1984-1995
E-Town Fri-Sun 1996-present

Maple Grove Sat-Sun 1997,1999-2003
Maple Grove Fri-Sun 2004-present

Depnding on the timing of various other events
For example, Pomona 2003 Sat-Sun (plus Mon. awards banquet)
but Chicago Fall 2005 Fri-Sun; All depends on what makes sense
Intended Sat-Sun Richmond 2006 but got rained out (and missed the first 6.5-Pro Stocker which SUCKED cause I had seen first in 6.7 and 6.6-second zone)

Hmmm, this is really making me dig into my memory banks. Maybe some of you can help me. I know back in the 1970s, my best friend and I drove to Lakeland, Florida. The funny car that won the race was the "Blue Max", but it was driven by a guy named Richard Tharp and owned by a guy name Harry Schmidt. Raymond Beadle had not come on board yet. I believe something happen to the car prior to the race. That was the first national event I went to and the next was Maple Grove in 1993.

I have to show my geezer badge again, Started going to Union Grove in 1959. The first trip out of state was the 1963 World Series at Cordova IL. in those days it was the biggest summer race around.:cool:
My first NHRA full event was the 1968 Indy race, I was the crew chief for John Buttera's top fuel car. This was before he moved to California.
We almost went to jail for starting the car at 2am in downtown Indy, but that's another story.;)

I worked at a drag strip in Manhattan. Ks (AHRA) before I could drive. From tickets to time slips to finally the time clocks in the tower. Was about 1966.

1st NHRA National race I went to was in 1970 ( if my memory serves me correctly) and I was entered with my dragster in comp class. @ Mile High in Denver.

My last race as a racer was in 1978 in San Antonio, Texas (way before I lived here) @ San Antonio Raceway (its 1st year as a AHRA sactioned track) & we went to the finals against the front motered dragster "Magic Mountain Boys". I lost a clutch and lost the final round.

I started doing the Indy "full deal" in the early 70's. Sleeping in the car for 5 days and washing up in a gas station restroom. To old to even think about that now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back