Torrance cheap shot (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post Jeff. I tend to agree. I’d be willing to bet there is a lot of mutual respect between the Torrence and Salinas camps. Similar stories too. I myself like Steve and get a kick out of his interviews, lol.

I have mad respect for his crew and cc. They give him an unbelievable car. Personally, I think he's just a spoiled rich kid who says he has to work, ya right. I know rich parents who give there kids jobs, they don't know what real work is. Have them work with their hands everyday, 6 days a week, for years. I bet the farm he wouldn't last.

A handful of random thoughts:

- You guys can't have it both ways. You all piss and moan about boring drivers that never say anything during interviews, and then piss and moan when someone does.

- As for Leah, don't forget her husband is on Torrence's team, so I am sure that is all in fun, and I can definitely see Leah responding in kind.

- These gifts do happen from time to time, but it is usually done behind the scenes, not right out in front of everybody during pre-race ceremonies. If Torrence is really rankled, this may be the reason, it could be construed as grandiose and a touch self-serving, though I believe Salinas genuinely just wanted to do something nice.

- CAPCO is a family business, and they have parked the car when business is not good. If Torrence says he is going to work tomorrow, I have no reason to doubt him.

- If you are Salinas, you have really set yourself up if you do go on to win the championship, what kind of gift do you give then? Not out of the realm of possibilities since those are all Alan Johnson's people.

Steve can get away with it because he doesn't have a sponsor that he has to satisfy except daddy who obviously doesn't care how his son represents his Company. I doubt if he didn't have daddy's money/business and had to deal with a real sponsor he wouldn't be acting the same way. People in the oil support industries act and talk different from the rest of us. That's why they call them roughnecks and many other names. I am in the oil business and aware of CAPCO and what they do. There is a phrase used in the oil industry "here today, gone tomorrow" and that has been true in the oil business forever. Just ask Gene Snow how he made his money in the oil. Oil changes on a daily basis, today it's up, tomorrow it's down. The oil companies CAPCO depends on are changing their plans on a hour by hour basis. I have a oil pad that the rig was scheduled to start drilling on the next day and was in transit to my pad which was a 2 hour move. A hour into the move the company changed their mind and stopped the move and parked the rig. Oil and it's transportation is one of the most volatile businesses there is. Over my 60+ years in drag racing I have seen more high dollar operations come and go because their business went down the tubes. CAPCO depends on new wells being drilled which need pipelines to transport their oil. The amount of new wells being drilled has declined in the past 5 years. I hope CAPCO the best in their business but it can change quickly and directly affect Steve and his racing.

Last edited:
I don't like the little bastard. But I won't complain and neither will I argue with what he and his team have accomplished. That Countdown run last year was something we may never see again. As mentioned earlier, the way to hush Torrence's mouth is to be first to the stripe. Since that won't be me, I reckon publicly bashing him isn't in my bag of tricks.

…. and remember, by taking a swipe at Salinas, he is poking a stick at the bear, that is alan Johnson. torrence has had amazing success in the last three years but Johnson has all but owned top fuel for over 20 years and I wouldn't doubt that Johnson is partly responsible for the tune up in torrences' car, since he was a consultant previously.

…. and remember, by taking a swipe at Salinas, he is poking a stick at the bear, that is alan Johnson. torrence has had amazing success in the last three years but Johnson has all but owned top fuel for over 20 years and I wouldn't doubt that Johnson is partly responsible for the tune up in torrences' car, since he was a consultant previously.

We have a winner! Right there is the reason for the dig from Torrence.

It is a good thing we don't have a young Frank Bradley, Connie Kalitta or Ed McCulloch in fuel racing today. The snowflake world's granny bloomers would be twisted up beyond recognition. Could you imagine what the nanny world would say about A.J. Foyt in his prime?

Maybe NHRA will have them on stage in Atlanta to share the feelings. Pump a little lavender into the air and you might have something.

The world each of these guys comes from has a special way to handle hurt feelings.

Steve can get away with it because he doesn't have a sponsor that he has to satisfy except daddy
It sounds like you may be predisposed to not liking Steve no matter what he says.
Listening to his comments in the post race press conference, Steve said he needs a 'chip on his shoulder' to get psyched up for race day. As a driver he responds better when he goes in aggressive. I don't think there is near as much animosity as people seem to believe.

you have no idea what a Steve Torrence work day is like. I wouldnt be suprised if he wasnt in the office at 6am today.

you have no idea what a Steve Torrence work day is like. I wouldnt be suprised if he wasnt in the office at 6am today.

Mike English - How do you know what a Steve Torrence work day is like? Oh, wait you don't just as much as I don't. I'm just making a generalized statement of opinion based off my personal experience's in life with people that are raised in a family business with alot of advantages. Steve might be the harderst working person out there, but his attitude, lack of humility, and arrogance make me think otherwise.

:p:p:confused:

Steve Torrence and his family has dedicated so much time and spent millions of dollars in NHRA drag racing and has given their crew the best of everything they need to do the job they love doing. They even purchased another new race hauler for them this year. I can't think of any other team that takes as good of care and treats their crew like family as the Torrence family does. Plus all of the help that they do for other lower budget teams from parts to using their shop. The negativity towards Steve in this thread is just not warranted. Instead of dishing him on a racing site try walking up to him and say hello and you would probably come away with a whole different attitude... and maybe even a sandwich and a cold drink.

Last edited:
Steve Torrance and his family has dedicated so much time and spent millions of dollars in NHRA drag racing and has given their crew the best of everything they need to do the job they love doing. They even purchased another new race hauler for them this year. I can't think of any other team that takes as good of care and treats their crew like family as the Torrance family does. Plus all of the help that they do for other lower budget teams from parts to using their shop. The negativity towards Steve in this thread is just not warranted. Instead of dishing him on a racing site try walking up to him and say hello and you would probably come away with a whole different attitude... and maybe even a sandwich and a cold drink.

Well Said Eugene, They have no idea

Did anyone catch what he said to Leah at the top end ???
She replied, Don't forget my husband works for you.
she sounded pretty ticked.

JUST WHEN I THINK HE'S OK......HE COMMENTS ABOUT MY LOCAL BOY SALINAS....WHAT F%#KING BUSINESS IS IT OF HIS ANYWAYS WHAT SALINAS DOES WITH HIS MONEY..........I WOULD LIKE ANOTHER HARLEY......AND MIKE.......THANK YOU VERY MUCH........NOT SURE WHAT HE SAID TO LEAH........BUT.....DON'T MESS WITH MY GIRL............

WHAT F%#KING BUSINESS IS IT OF HIS ANYWAYS WHAT SALINAS DOES WITH HIS MONEY...............

NOT SURE WHAT HE SAID TO LEAH........BUT.....DON'T MESS WITH MY GIRL............

Agreed, it Mike's money, it's his team...... WTF...
As a matter of fact, I think I will send him a resume.

Too bad more people or companies don't appreciate their people as much as Mike does.
If it was me, sure I would have done it more on the down low, but it is his choice. He did want to surprise them, and I think mission accomplished!
Congrats to the team! :cool:

And as for Leah, after a run, she always sounds pissed... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back