Steve Johnson and Snap-on (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
I first met Steve way back in the early 1990's when we were both doing a display at Frank and Son's Card Show/Trucking. He had his motorcycle and I had my TA/FC and we sort of hung out together for the day since we both liked to talk drag racing. Steve was a real character even back then. You have to admit, his personality sets him out from the rest, but he's a great guy (and I doubt he even remembers me after all this time). I don't think I've talked to him since.

Pro Stock Bike racers are a special breed. I've had the pleasure of meeting Byron Hines when we did our Japan stint 15 years ago along with Craig Treble who I usually try to say hi to whenever the bikes are racing at events we race at. Another great guy is Freddie Camarina (sp). He's a great fan of drag racing, one of our biggest fans and a heck of a bike rider. I hope some day he gets a break $$.

Having said all that, I was watching Denver and you could see the typical Steve busting at the seams wanting to say a thousand things but Gary Jarrold put a lid on it at least once. I did get a chuckle out of his comment regarding Snap-On. "Hello!". Sounds like his contract is up this year and he's hoping to renew was what I heard out of his comments.

I think Steve and his personality are good for the sport just like Force's over the top interviews and antics in his younger years were, too. Steve is riding a competitve bike now, and he's doing a good job. He always volunteers for things and is ready to go the extra mile(s) for his spnsor because he's fought long and hard to keep himself out there, and he knows the importance of marketing. He's the guy who will carry the extra weight of an ESPN2 camera on the faring of his bike facing his helmet so you can ride along with him, is a gracious winner as well as loser, and even shares a smile and laugh from time to time with other racers. Like sticking that hat on Herbert's daughter during Herbert's celebration after his win in Norwalk when Doug's daughter didn't look all that happy to be there at first.

Steve, I hope Snap-On signs you up for another series of long term contracts, because what you offer Snap-On just can't be pulled out of a box or poured from a carton. You are definitely one of a kind. And that is strictly my opinion.

Good luck.

news_stevejohnson1.jpg

RG

Last edited:
Here Here Randy!

Most of the bike guys are GREAT and Steve is one of the tops.
So glad to see him being really competitivetoo.

His has to be one of the "best bang for the buck" programs.

PS: Anybody know if he got his laptop back?

PPS: After having a computer for almost 30 now, I recently signed up for Carbonite. Simple, easy, unlimited off-site automated back-up for $50. a year. Can't beat that with a stick. (Maybe somebody ought to line them up <Like Dave Connelly's Life Lock deal>, no?)

He is definitely one I would prefer to see out there representing the sport over almost all others due to his enthusiasm and love for the sport.

Randy, I don't know if you caught the story about him losing the laptop but apparently, he had a major presentation prepared for a major sponsor fully prepared which indicates you may be right about Snap-On. He said if somebody comes out here next year riding a jap bike with a new major sponsor, he'll know exactly who stole his laptop.

Excellent post Randy! If Steve's middle name isn't "personality", it should be. In the 14 years I've been working around this sport, I can't think of anyone who is as consistently upbeat and positive as Steve. None of it is contrived, or something that is only present when the cameras are rolling. He's exactly the same guy on the record as he is when he's just hanging out. Making others smile or laugh is something that comes naturally to him. ...and he's a pretty good drag racer!

Steve really is a great guy. We have been friends since way before his PSB career.

Early in his NHRA program, he used to drive by himself in an old van. He had trouble staying awake. He used to call me at the shop from his cell phone and I would just chat with him while I worked to try, and keep him awake.

He sure has devoted his life to this deal.

Jay

Ok, I may be biased since I consider Steve to be a good friend. I've attended many PSB races over the years with him and his team, and yes, I was lucky enough to be there for the 2005 US Nationals when he got the winners trophy the day after the event was completed.

That said... Steve will be pissed when I say this, but he reminds me so much of John Force. He's been racing for 20 years and made it his living for all of those years. In the early years, it was traveling across the country in a simple van with minimal sponsorship or income. He's come a long way since then and I consider him to be one of the most business-savy racers on the tour. If a guy's only source of income is drag racing, and he survives for 20 years, he must be doing something right! He takes the business side of racing VERY seriously but can also be an absolute trip to be around when he gets going like John Force. He can have a lot to say and will be happy to say it if you allow him the time, lol..

I'm very happy for Steve, Mark, Tim and Richie this year. They are one of the fastest Suzukis out there and are even catching up to the v-twins. They are putting a lot of hard work in this year to run with the best of the PSM crowd and it is showing.

The more rounds he wins, the more you all will get to see the hilarious side of Steve Johnson. He is simply one of a kind and I am proud to call him a good friend!

THE coolest nicest guy....Deserves the best!
I think if "ALI" would get his age right...14, 16, 23!!!
He'd do better!
LOL-Y'all--Dixons and Johnsons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

i find it interesting that steve or anyone for that matter is able to make a living solely on racing psb. that class doesn't pay out very much so i guess he is well taken care of by his sponsors.

I have had the good fortune to have met Steve several times as well as working with him on the BRAKES program and I can honestly say that he is nuts!:D He reminds me of JF too, they are both going a mile a minute all the time. He is one hell of a nice guy and I hope he has continued success. Snap-on would be crazy to let him go. I don't know what they are paying him, but it's a smokin' deal for what they get in return.

I live in the same town as Steve and have met him on several occasions. I see him @ Atlanta when he comes by the suite that George Howard,a race promoter has every year. He came to the International Motorsports Hall of Fame deal and George's daughters wedding wearing a tux with his RED racing shoes on,he ain't right.:D

Wouldn't it be great if we all had that sunny outlook on everything like Steve?

He is a breath of fresh air. I wish him nothing but the best!!

This is almost getting embarrassing but I can't let this thread go without adding my own opinion.

I had known Steve for a while doing my reporting thing and was lucky enough to work with him for part of a year with my data company.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with all the previous posters. Steve's the real deal and just about the best thing for drag racing that's ever come down the pike. If he had chosen instead to race cars we would be talking about the two great personalities of drag racing: Steve and that Force guy.

I remember that at some of the races we did he was spending more time on PRO2 (the bike racers' PRO) issues than he was on his racing. As highly devoted and motivated as he is towards his own program, he might be even more driven towards advancing the class as a whole.

Due to a lot of issues, I wasn't able to help him much during our association but I am truly enjoying his latest head-knocking at the very top of the class.

He needs to be an integral part of drag racing for many years to come.

Thanks to Randy for starting this thread. A bunch of us probably spend too much time complaining so it's doubly gratifying to shine a light on someone who truly deserves it.

Randy -

What a great topic! I couldn't agree more!

I've had the pleasure and good fortune to work with Steve on a few creative projects over the past two years. I can honestly tell you, this guy is focused on delivering maximum value to his sponsors! His passion for the sport and his positive, professional energy is unmatched! You can also tell alot about a person by the quality of people they surround themselves with. Staci, Jennifer an everyone at SJR have always been great to work with!

Steve and everyone at SJR are committed to delivering the most competitive on-track effort each and every race weekend! In addition, he is engaged with the various events put on for Snap-on distributors and Wyotech students. I know this is to be expected whenever you have sponsors to satisfy, but I doubt you'll find anyone with more enthusiasm than Steve.

Let me tell you from first-hand experience, the effort Steve dedicates behind the scenes to satisfy and promote his sponsors is inspiring! He never stops thinking of new ways to include his sponsors in his program to ensure them maximum exposure. Keep in mind, this is stuff you and I might never see at the track. Not a souvenir of any kind. This is Steve extending himself and making people feel connected to his program. A true partnership.

I'm proud of my relationship with Steve and everyone at SJR! I thank them for the opportunities and feel fortunate to work with someone of Steve's caliber, not only as a competitor, but as a person!

Congrats and continued success to Steve and everyone at SJR!

I just LOVE Steve Johnson! He cracks me up everytime he gets some tv time. I wish it would be more often. I hope Snap-On stays with him, he is a great rider and a wonderful personality to have representing their brand!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back