Thank God for the Millionaires! (1 Viewer)

Look @ the MM cars....Those guys could run NHRA but...

Terry you couldn't be more mistaken, 98% of "those guys" want nothing to do with NHRA competition. That's not what the March Meet or nostalgia racing is about. Many of the tuners and crew and drivers came out of NHRA, IHRA, AHRA, UDRA competition and don't want back in.

Why do you think Ron Capps wants to step back to drive a Nostalgia Nitro Funny Car with a 6-71 supercharger, 2 speed Lenco and a small fuel pump that is almost 1.5 seconds slower on a free (non-NHRA) weekend? There's a whole level of racing outside of NHRA that doesn't feed the BIG SHOW and is not interested in - nor follows NHRA. Here's More at the Nostalgia Funny Car News!

Donnie Couch (formerly with Shirley Muldowney) tuned the March Meet winning Nitro Funny Car - Steve Romanazzi's "Warrior" Vega.

Darr...I did not say some of the players in the march meet wanted to play in the NHRA ranks....I said they could...I guarantee that if the NHRA fields were slim alot of the teams from the MM would be over there (NHRA) collecting the $7500-8500?? first round loser money.
I was aying that the game is a little crowded over there in regards to the financial aspect of NHRA fuel racing.
I have worked w/ many independent teams that used to call ahead (NHRA) and see how many cars were pre-entered and if the count was low we go, make one-two passes, qualify, set the car up soft for Sun and maybe a big budget car would beat themselves and we'd go a round or two and take home a nice check....
But today there is not a team out there making money on round wins only...
The egos w/ some of the nostaglia (sp ck) teams is the same as NHRA players...same fuel, same objective, different playing field...

I'm willing to bet the whole Nostagia circuits were started partly because of the Skyrocketing costs of NHRA Professional Drag racing. As the Nostalgia cars have crepted into the 5 sec zone, Costs are Rising over there as well! Specs to what can be done to Motors may slow rising costs to a point, but as long as some can afford to push Parts more than others the Cost ends up rising for everybody. One guy I talked to at last year's World finals where all the Nostalgia Dragsters were was telling me costs over there are going up Fast now that 5.70's-80's are now the Norms!

Joe...yes the cost 'over there' is relative to NHRA fuel racing....more and more teams are 'buying' win lights....
I have said this before but fuel racing has turned into who has more money over who has more tuning ability...

I've noticed the escalation in spending on the nostalgia scene the last 2 years. I'd hoped it wouldn't go that way so that it could stay grass roots.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back