Thank God for the Millionaires! (1 Viewer)

Nice article !! A friend of mine is sponsored by Evan this year. John Haley from minnesota in top alcohol dragster, He will be at the gators sporting Torco sponsorship. Thank you Evan Knoll for helping the little guy also, It is appreciated by all of us !!!!!

i always wondered what would happen if evan knoll and forrest lucas both decided to take up golf . i bet some nhra officials would start jumping off roof tops. only they would be real low roof tops so they could collect compinsation while they weren't working.

so they could collect compinsation while they weren't working.[/QUOTE]

Which is different than the current situation how, exactly?

i always wondered what would happen if evan knoll and forrest lucas both decided to take up golf . i bet some nhra officials would start jumping off roof tops. only they would be real low roof tops so they could collect compinsation while they weren't working.

I think you could Add Connie Kalitta and Ken Black to that list. Last year at Indy during Alky Dragster, I Overheard some guy behind me who saw one of the Torco cars doing a Burnout. I overheard him say "Another Torco car!". I immediately thought "At least he's spending his Mega $$$ on the Racers!

If it were'nt Knoll/Kalitta/etc it'd be someone else....
They could step aside and the wheel will keep turning, but it is nice of them to support the sport.

I think there's more to this than plain 'money'. It is kinda funny how these days everyone wants to "be friends with, and talk to and about Connie's team" - with all the big, en vogue company names he has on the sides of the cars. Back in the late-80's when his 2 cars ran like crap and were painted plain burgandy and gold.... nobody cared. Most people were busy foaming over the likes of The Hawaiian, Joe amato, Mike Dunn, Purdomme & Bernstein, and even Force. Fact fo the matter is, Connie had as much relative net worth back then as he does today. I don't mean that to be negative.... but I think money drives popularity & success - or vice versa (in some order).
I think the article would have been better to explain HOW these people got thier money. Connie did NOT become wealthy by racing. Nor did he inherit family money. Like alot of people, he started a business, stuck with it, worked hard and follwed his dreams. Racing was always just a hobby - and still is.

Chris- I would'nt exactly say that Kalitta's cars ran like "crap" in the late 80s.

He did his share of winning. The funny car was not up there with the guys you mentioned but the top fueler with Connie at the wheel did pretty good. At least I always liked to watch him.

I remember an interview with Connie in the mid 80s when he ran those white and burgandy Kurzawa cars. He said "he did'nt need no sponsors and did'nt want them." His cars were'nt as slick looking as the Swindahl and Uyehara cars but they ran well and he was always there.

Connie Kalitta= True racer, through and through. My personal favorite drag racer of all time along with Garlits.

Oh heck yeah, Connie had some very good races. I just think after the glory of the Muldowney years, and the various ruckus stories that followed... people just didn't take too kindly to Connie overall. Obviously, that didn't seem to bother him. That's what's so cool about NOW. Seeing how he's percieved today, as one of the Kingpins of the sport.... with all that Lore, rumors & stories. Connie's a teddy bear with a heart of GOLD. But even now, you piss him off... and he's a wounded grizzly bear. I love the guy - and so do many many other people. His life is an amazing story.

I think there's more to this than plain 'money'. It is kinda funny how these days everyone wants to "be friends with, and talk to and about Connie's team" - with all the big, en vogue company names he has on the sides of the cars. Back in the late-80's when his 2 cars ran like crap and were painted plain burgandy and gold.... nobody cared. Most people were busy foaming over the likes of The Hawaiian, Joe amato, Mike Dunn, Purdomme & Bernstein, and even Force. Fact fo the matter is, Connie had as much relative net worth back then as he does today. I don't mean that to be negative.... but I think money drives popularity & success - or vice versa (in some order).
I think the article would have been better to explain HOW these people got thier money. Connie did NOT become wealthy by racing. Nor did he inherit family money. Like alot of people, he started a business, stuck with it, worked hard and follwed his dreams. Racing was always just a hobby - and still is.

Chris, Darr didn't write the piece to criticize people like Connie. Only that if he and others decided to spend his Millions on something else, the Sport would be on Lifesupport.

Don Garlits told me that what really put him out of business when it came to racing was when the teams started pushing the motors so much that they had to be rebuilt after every round because he didnt have the funds or parts to be able to constantly do that . Be thankfull there are rich people out there who love this sport and are nice enough to give racers the funds to keep going.

Three years ago no one here would have thought David Powers (who??) would be the owner of the #1 car in the NHRA today...

Or D. Tuttle.....another name that no one knew of until 3 years ago....
Mike Ashley...The Comstocks/DSL have very deep pockets...
There are plenty of people w/ deeper pockets than the current players..
Sometimes the dance floor has to empty for others to want to play....a very old saying in business/recreation...
I know plenty of people that could go fuel racing but they feel its been tapped already so they venture elsewhere....

Boys...the show will always go on...unless it relates to family we are all replacable here on planet earth rather quickly....

Read the book 'The millionaire next door' and you'd be surprised who your neighbors are....

If ya really want it bad enough you too could have millions....Who you walk w/ is who you are....I learned that years ago in the film industry....

Three years ago no one here would have thought David Powers (who??) would be the owner of the #1 car in the NHRA today...

Sometimes the dance floor has to empty for others to want to play....a very old saying in business/recreation...
I know plenty of people that could go fuel racing but they feel its been tapped already so they venture elsewhere....

Boys...the show will always go on...unless it relates to family we are all replacable here on planet earth rather quickly....

Read the book 'The millionaire next door' and you'd be surprised who your neighbors are....

If ya really want it bad enough you too could have millions....Who you walk w/ is who you are....I learned that years ago in the film industry....

you're right on the money terry. nice post; all of it.

Exactly. I just don't get it- if there were no deep pocket folks supporting drag racing, all we'd hear about is "why doesn't anyone support the sport?" Now people complain because people are sticking too much money into the sport. There are always others that can/will step in when the time is right.

Look @ the MM cars....Those guys could run NHRA but to grenade engines every round for the win light requires more money than talent...That really takes the brains/mechanics out of it...

I'd like to see the fuel cars keep the same block in the framerails on Sunday (only) and that'd show you who runs a safe/smart combo lap after lap...
To me, throwing a new bullet in the framerails every round does not impress me...I know plenty of guys that could run very well w/out ever hurting the crank or block all day...Just my take...

I should have known.

Those guys seem to be doing it for the fun factor as well as being competetive (amongst themselves) with a realistic set of guidelines. You gotta love a big dose of pop. It sounds and smells much better that 85%.

Fuel racing to me was just as exciting with an 8-71 and a full can as the mega buck teams of today on 85%. I really don't care if they go 4.45 @320 or 5.90 @ 240. Its the excitement of a fuel car that sucked me in.

I know its been beat to death on the web but I pine for the days of old. I must be getting old!:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back