Sound sync (1 Viewer)

The sound is not out-of-sync, they are using the top end cameras and their associated microphones.

I can understand seeing the cars move first, then the sound, but not the other way around. And I don't recall this being a problem in 2016, either. It's annoying as hell to me.
This happened all the time on No Access in 2016, that is one of the reasons I passed on this year. It was out by 5-6sec at one time. Alan would announce the winner then we would see the car cross the stripe.

When the NHRA get the No Access offer sorted out, ie A/V Sync, Track Volume up and Booth volume down, VOD's Up ASAP not a week later, let me know and I'll join up again, but until then BangShift, Speed Video et al are way ahead.

Since most folks on here like to deal with facts :) :

Speed of light = 671,000,000 MPH
Speed of sound = 767 MPH

The sound is not out-of-sync, they are using the top end cameras and their associated microphones.
Wrong. If that was the case you'd see the cars move first followed by the sound roughly 1.5 seconds later. They've got it backwards because you hear the sound first, then the cars move. It's absolutely a sync issue.

Brent is right. Think of it like lightning followed by thunder....the closer the lightning strike, the sooner the thunder. But unless you are at ground zero there is always a delay in the sound because light travels faster..... I've done some video editing in my day and the soundtrack is separate from the video track and the timing can be manipulated as you desire. This should be a simple thing for professional video engineers.... Just sayin'

I personally wonder if it has anything to do with sharing the video feed with AllAccess and Sunoco Vision. The audio is roughly .5 seconds ahead of the video during the runs themselves, but is never out of sync during the interviews. I gauged the .5 of a second based on you being able to hear the cars launch before the tree flashes on, and thats .4 of a second. It's obvious on the other end too since you hear the car thunder by the camera and shut off but you are seeing them just past half track. They sound as if they are coasting across the finish line by the time you see them get to it.

On the AllAccess side, there have been days where the whole thing was out of sync. You'd hear people talk before their lips moved. It's one of those things that messes with your head.

I sent a tweet to Dave Rieff about the subject. I guess its possible they don't even know it is occurring. I'm surprised none of the NHRA employees that lurk or post here would mention it.

I personally wonder if it has anything to do with sharing the video feed with AllAccess and Sunoco Vision. The audio is roughly .5 seconds ahead of the video during the runs themselves, but is never out of sync during the interviews. I gauged the .5 of a second based on you being able to hear the cars launch before the tree flashes on, and thats .4 of a second. It's obvious on the other end too since you hear the car thunder by the camera and shut off but you are seeing them just past half track. They sound as if they are coasting across the finish line by the time you see them get to it.

On the AllAccess side, there have been days where the whole thing was out of sync. You'd hear people talk before their lips moved. It's one of those things that messes with your head.

I sent a tweet to Dave Rieff about the subject. I guess its possible they don't even know it is occurring. I'm surprised none of the NHRA employees that lurk or post here would mention it.

Dave, well written. With reference to your question 'do they know they have a problem', well it's Houston isn't it after all... Sorry I couldn't resist that.

I spent most of 2016 sending emails to Cleeng, NHRA, Ken Adelson who is in charge of the No Access/FS1 programs, Alan Reinhart, Brian Lohnes, Joe Costello, Lewis Bloom and anyone who I thought should know. I even rang the NHRA from Perth (WA) but there was no one willing to take my call, bar Vicki the Receptionist, poor kid.
YES, they are well aware of the "Please Respect the 7 second delay we have", (sorry that's from Steely Dan's FM) as LIVE broadcasts have it built in, just in case someone drops the F bomb.
On No Access in 2016 I and one other 'addict' measured the delay as between 5-6 secs. So Alan would say who won before we saw it.......nice touch.

It too messed with my head, so much so I gave No Access the flick this year.

A/V Sync issues are common in the digital domain, Google it. My Panasonic Surround Sound unit even has a adjustment screen you can alter it in millisecs but not seconds! Sometimes our FTA's are out even from the studio. I've just DL'd Houston from Burning Wheels (the FS1 shows) and Dave and TPed are out of sync in the booth. "Ken and the Kids" need to go to broadcast school or get their equipment supplier product gurus in to sort it out. Period.

This combined with not being able to email or talk to someone directly showed their lack of empathy and willingness to address THEIR Problems.

The Main issue for us in Australia and other part of the world outside of the US timezones, is that we are in bed being 13-16hrs ahead! So we rely on the VOD's being posted up ASAP after the event. I've suggested to the NHRA et al that after each 'session' of class runs, they stop recording the file at an oil down or during prep time and start another recording. Then they can post up the previous file. Then during the Pro Quali and Elims and Finals they can do the same. That way the VOD's would be 2hrs or so in duration. A lot easier to handle and play. Make sense?

How come BangShift, Speed Video etc have no problems yet "Ken and the Kids" do. No problems watching the F1!

Great Idea having All Access, if only it would deliver as promised.

Still no better in atlanta,maybe they should call espn and ask them for advice!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back