something(s) has to be done! And Fast! (1 Viewer)

Exactly. In order to keep the current F/C from going dangerously lean (due to vehicle weight and drag) they would require a bit more fuel flow capability. This doesn't mean that it's all used, but just in case they need it, they have it. Simplify and lighten those cars up and the fuel requirement would drop. Not to mention be easier to stop at places like Pomona and Englishtown.

One thing I'm curious about, should this Single Pump rule be implimented and it slows the Dragsters down to 4.70-80's, and FC"s down to 5.0's?? What does NHRA plan to do with the A/Fuel cars??? Those cars are running 5-teens at 280 on the good tracks! They gonna hit them too?

Tim...are you saying that Don isn't cute? ;)

My best guesstimate is that the powers that be are shooting for 4.90 Funny Car ET's. Sex sells and, in the case of drag racing, numbers do as well. If you advertise ground-pounding, nitro-burning, flame-belching, 4-second, 300 mile per hour Top Fuel Dragsters and Funny Cars blazing down the quarter-mile (BE THERE!!!), you'd better be able to deliver on that promise.

In regards to tapering off the performance of the TAD's...only time will tell. Why fix something that isn't broken? If you have the defining line remain between 5.00 and 5.20 then the two classes won't intermix...hopefully. But the same technical rules can apply to both combinations in TAD...less fuel and less blower.

There is something about this Potential rule change that bothers me. It sounds like a mid season rule change. That has never made sense to me. Are they going to allow more test sessions? Do you think multi-car teams have an advantage? I understand the thought process towards safety but from a level playing field perspective...............NOT!! :mad:

There is something about this Potential rule change that bothers me. It sounds like a mid season rule change. That has never made sense to me. Are they going to allow more test sessions? Do you think multi-car teams have an advantage? I understand the thought process towards safety but from a level playing field perspective...............NOT!! :mad:

Never made sense to me either. Plus at this time of the season the teams are just NOW "finding their way" with their tune ups!!!

Multi car teams exist TO have an advantage, they do, and will.

That is the way the game is played.

I think, this............may, "level the playing field".

At least it could, in as the smaller, lesser funded teams may not be blowing their stuff to bits so often.

They may not be able to 'hunt with the big dogs', but at least they might be able to stay in the hunt.

Will stuff blow up and fail?

Yup

Is it now?

BIG time.

Less volume and spark, smaller boom.

Or longer life, even if it is only a handful of extra passes.

REX

I think they would be foolish to take away the second mag, With a 55/60 gallon pump and 2 mags,dropped cylinders should be a thing of the past.
From what I understand this new deal will go into effect for next season.
All pumps will come from 2 mfg. and be flowed and sealed, If work needs to be done on them they must be reflowed and resealed.
Sounds like a good plan to me:)

No no if they are going to do this keep the gpm down but not put seals on it or say it can only be a so and so brand pump. Let people buy from whoever they want because some people cant afford one pump but may be able to have one made by someone else. They allready put the cars on the scales so why not just when a car wins flow the pump aswell to keep them honest. If everyone is being honest they should have no objections to the pumps being flowed.

In regards to tapering off the performance of the TAD's...only time will tell. Why fix something that isn't broken? If you have the defining line remain between 5.00 and 5.20 then the two classes won't intermix...hopefully. But the same technical rules can apply to both combinations in TAD...less fuel and less blower.

If NHRA does slow the Fuel classes to run 290-300 MPH, I'm betting they will slow the A/Fuel cars as well, Will Hanna has addressed this very thing on his website!

No no if they are going to do this keep the gpm down but not put seals on it or say it can only be a so and so brand pump. Let people buy from whoever they want because some people cant afford one pump but may be able to have one made by someone else. They allready put the cars on the scales so why not just when a car wins flow the pump aswell to keep them honest. If everyone is being honest they should have no objections to the pumps being flowed.
Wouldn't flowing the pumps at the scales be a time-consuming thing?

Wouldn't flowing the pumps at the scales be a time-consuming thing?

I don't know but if they did it at the end of the race and only to the winning cars would that matter? I am not familer with the process but the way people talk about flowing pumps it doesnt sound like a huge process.

With a 55/60 gallon pump and 2 mags,dropped cylinders should be a thing of the past.
That's incorrect, the dropped cylinder is a function of the nozzles, either the idle or down or a check spring...
Sometimes you will see a dropped hole at the step, most cars are leaving with around 55 gallons with the slide valve open...
Dropped holes can also come from bad wires,and/or different pulsations from stripping the blower...

That's incorrect, the dropped cylinder is a function of the nozzles, either the idle or down or a check spring...
Sometimes you will see a dropped hole at the step, most cars are leaving with around 55 gallons with the slide valve open...
Dropped holes can also come from bad wires,and/or different pulsations from stripping the blower...
After all these years that I thought they went to the dual mag setup was to burn more volume of fuel now I find out it's the idle or down nozzles or the way the blower was stripped that cause the candles to get blown out.
I should have known that damn D. Armstrong was just pulling our leg!
Thanks for the real story.

...Thanks for the real story...
The dual spark plugs were developed by Chrysler for gasoline , when we started with the two mags on Nitro in the '80s they were only 4 amps,and we ran around 35-40 gallons at the step...
So now you have 44 amps and around 100 gallons with slide valves and other flow controls that vary the volume at the step & during the run along with varying the mag timing, something no one dreamed about in the 80s...
If the nozzle stagger wasn't a factor all the cylinders would drop at the same time due to too much volume overcoming the magnetos...

Why don't they do like they did for Jet Cars...a Speed Limit, go too fast on NHRA's watch you get fined, if you aren't "DON'T TELL ANYONE" :D

The dual spark plugs were developed by Chrysler for gasoline , when we started with the two mags on Nitro in the '80s they were only 4 amps,and we ran around 35-40 gallons at the step...
So now you have 44 amps and around 100 gallons with slide valves and other flow controls that vary the volume at the step & during the run along with varying the mag timing, something no one dreamed about in the 80s...
If the nozzle stagger wasn't a factor all the cylinders would drop at the same time due to too much volume overcoming the magnetos...

Well Jerry you've been there done that, I had always thought dropped cylinders were caused by too much Clutch slippage thus unloading the Motor!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back