Interstate Batteries to sponsor Torrence/Tuttle dragster at 4-Wide (1 Viewer)

Interstate Batteries to sponsor Torrence/Tuttle dragster at 4-Wide;
USO-North Carolina saluted on 70th anniversary

Steve Torrence and the Tuttle Motorsports Top Fuel team will be wearing the green and white colors of Interstate Batteries for the second annual Visitmyrtlebeach.com 4-Wide Nationals at zMAX Dragway in Concord, N.C., April 15-17.

The team and Interstate Batteries also will recognize the 70th year of the United Service Organizations (USO) of North Carolina for the services it provides to our military men and women by displaying its 70-Year logo on the side of the 316-mph dragster. The oldest continuously-operating USO in the world is in Jacksonville/Camp Lejune.

“We are excited to show our appreciation for the North Carolina USO’s long-standing service to our military,” said Jeff Haddock, President of Interstate Batteries Systems of Charlotte Metro. “They have selflessly helped transition thousands of troops back into civilian life for the past 70 years.

“IBS is particularly pleased to recognize the Jacksonville/Lejune USO Center. We thank the USO for its service and we are honored to celebrate this milestone with you.”

Torrence said he was “pleased to have Interstate Batteries back on board for this race. We are proud to be able to support the USO as it celebrates 70 years of service to our military men and women during our visit to the Tar Heel state.

“We are going into this race hoping we can get a round win or two. We had problems last year adapting to the differences between two cars and four cars running side-by-side. I’m hoping some of the things I learned last year will come back to me in a hurry.”

Torrence qualified seventh in the inaugural event, but lost in the first round when his tires lost traction.

“As a driver, we are creatures of habit,” Torrence continued. “We are taught to do the same things in the car run after run. It was very different last year going to the line and waiting for three other drivers to stage before getting the green light.

“I’ll have to reprogram myself to get ready to go. I hope the weather is good, because I know I’m going to need to make all four qualifying runs to get used to the differences.”

Torrence is 10th in NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series competition after three of 16 regular- season races.

# # #

Pro Qualifying: Friday: 1:30 and 4 p.m.; Saturday: 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
Sunday eliminations: Noon
ESPN2 TV times (all ET): Saturday, qualifying results, 6-8 p.m.; Sunday, eliminations, 7-10 p.m.

# # #

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back