something(s) has to be done! And Fast! (1 Viewer)

Someone stated on another thread that NHRA's marketing department was against any rules changes that slow the cars from their 320 mph pace and that owners/tuners were also against it due to their current, relevant databases. I hope to God, Allah, The Sun, Zeus, and whomever you might pray to that those are NOT legit roadblocks. Nothing like shortsidedness to put lives and sustained careers at risk.

the kings of the hill like the hill just the way it is.

sounds like you're right Bob, Capps pretty much answered the question in his interview during eliminations.

The powers that be, NHRA, and the owners, like it just the way it is.

Guess the drivers are just hoping they don't roll 'snake eyes'

REX

Anyway, Gary Densham was just on espn, and he layed it all out for everyone to understand the differences between a modern F/C and the Nostalgia cars...

Larry FULTON:mad:

Great piece by Densham and ESPN. Got me thinking -

I would be ok if they replaced the current FC with the nostalgia FC, same rules that Gary explained.

As for TF... leave them as is.. just stop the technology, beef up the safety and go to the quarter mile. The TF class to me represents the "ultimate" drag car. It isn't meant to resemble anything but the ultimate pure drag car.

Although I would be OK if they limited the technology (speeds and times) to the mid 90's like I talked about before, maybe entertain the idea of keeping one class "unlimited" - uhh, with limitations..

Great piece by Densham and ESPN. Got me thinking -

I would be ok if they replaced the current FC with the nostalgia FC, same rules that Gary explained.

As for TF... leave them as is.. just stop the technology, beef up the safety and go to the quarter mile. The TF class to me represents the "ultimate" drag car. It isn't meant to resemble anything but the ultimate pure drag car.

Although I would be OK if they limited the technology (speeds and times) to the mid 90's like I talked about before, maybe entertain the idea of keeping one class "unlimited" - uhh, with limitations..

It amazes me that Densham says that, yet still shows up to run his overpriced FC with NO funding! The Nostalgia classes are there for any racer/fan who enjoys them, does the NHRA need Nostalgia racing to save the sport? Even "IF" NHRA decided to implement those rules people have proposed, your gonna need to give the teams a year to do it right! All of the current inventory will be made obsolete. Heads, Blowers, Clutches, etc...will all have to be tested over several months.

Possibly the Division 1 in July at Lebanon Valley.

Unfortunately, after seeing Scott's demise firsthand, the National events lost some of their luster for this fan.........

REX

Make that one-I hope the four cylinder contingent will put on a great show-plus you know Joe Santangello II from Marlbourough CT is gonna win something!

Make that one-I hope the four cylinder contingent will put on a great show-plus you know Joe Santangello II from Marlbourough CT is gonna win something!

I've been going to at least one day of that event for the last 10 or so years, probably even longer.

Nice facility, and the closest track we have here in Ct.

Yeah, the comp show is amazing......

REX

Kenny Bernstein was the one who changed the FC bodies, all his windtunnel testing back in the 80's with the Batmobile, etc.. NHRA allowed him to get away with it, hence we now have FC Bodies that look nothing like Street cars!

kenny's '87 lesabre was certainly one of first departures from the bodies
of the day.........he had the bucks and the brains back then, same as force
when he moved the roofline in from the side of body, essentially leading to
'greenhouse' bubbles sitting on top of wedges that pass for car bodies
these days :rolleyes: if memory serves correctly, did capps/prudhomme quickly
follow with similar coppenhagen camaro? then the firebirds followed suit?

fc's still look cool, but not as cool as they once did; possibly looking their
worst ever right now IMO.

kenny's '87 lesabre was certainly one of first departures from the bodies
of the day.........he had the bucks and the brains back then, same as force
when he moved the roofline in from the side of body, essentially leading to
'greenhouse' bubbles sitting on top of wedges that pass for car bodies
these days fc's still look cool, but not as cool as they once did; possibly looking their
worst ever right now IMO.

What was the exact language in the rules that KB was able to get around and get the 87 lesabre approved?

Similarly, how did Force get away with the greenhouse bubbles back then?(I didn't really think about how it was the Force / Bazemore Mustang in 1996 or so that brought that in, good observation)

Who decides that the FC's look like (if not the company who makes the production car)? Isn't the current body style so far out there that the shape of the production car has nothing to do with the FC body (other then the headlight stickers)

"Hot Rumor Alert"
NHRA is telling Nitro teams today that they will enforce a smaller fuel pump size (65+/- gals.) rule ,
and go back to 1320.
Testing after St.Louis, the change to be made this summer ?
Hot Rumor Alert only...:eek:

"Hot Rumor Alert"
NHRA is telling Nitro teams today that they will enforce a smaller fuel pump size (65+/- gals.) rule ,
and go back to 1320.
Testing after St.Louis, the change to be made this summer ?
Hot Rumor Alert only...:eek:

Thanks for breaking it NEWMAN..:cool:

Wondering what they intend to accomplish with simply a smaller fuel pump. Shouldn't smaller 'spark' be the step following less fuel? Several of the 'tuners' I spoke with on Friday night/Saturday after the meeting were concerned about taking away the ability to 'cool' the tune-up, as the additional fuel is used to cool the engine during the run.

Just wondering if this is a concern or would help? I'm starting to learn more about fuel systems but do not know enough to be dangerous quite yet.

Input folks?

Thanks for breaking it NEWMAN..:cool:

Wondering what they intend to accomplish with simply a smaller fuel pump. Shouldn't smaller 'spark' be the step following less fuel? Several of the 'tuners' I spoke with on Friday night/Saturday after the meeting were concerned about taking away the ability to 'cool' the tune-up, as the additional fuel is used to cool the engine during the run.

Just wondering if this is a concern or would help? I'm starting to learn more about fuel systems but do not know enough to be dangerous quite yet.

Input folks?

Well, sounds like the 'experiment' will begin at Madison.

Seems, they are trying to get more of a Hiroshima 'Little Boy' yield, vs. Nagasaki's 'Fat Man'.

in other words, "here is what you got, now run along and figure it out".

Gonna' be verrrrrrry interesting, I'm hip to the tuners concerns.

Gee, now instead of a blast, they might simply just melt:cool:

Oh well, sounds like a step in the right direction anyway.........

REX

Who decides that the FC's look like (if not the company who makes the production car)? Isn't the current body style so far out there that the shape of the production car has nothing to do with the FC body (other then the headlight stickers)

I think the Team with the most $$$ holds the cards! In the 80's it was all about Kenny and Budweiser, in the 90's it was all Force! I don't remember NHRA telling him he couldn't do anything to a FC body.

But for the Single Fuel pump rumors, are they planning on leaving the Rest of the Motors alone? And why allow FC's Bigger Pumps than the Dragsters????

I think the Team with the most $$$ holds the cards! In the 80's it was all about Kenny and Budweiser, in the 90's it was all Force! I don't remember NHRA telling him he couldn't do anything to a FC body.

But for the Single Fuel pump rumors, are they planning on leaving the Rest of the Motors alone? And why allow FC's Bigger Pumps than the Dragsters????

if you're the nhra, why evolve parts if the racers will do it ($$) for you?

bigger pumps for fc's?.........because fc's are not as an efficient design
as tf'rs? engine works harder to get up on tire?
really don't know; only guesses........also would like to know answer.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back